Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get older and about seen it all, I'm getting paranoid in my old age and don't trust anyone
to work on my equipment anymore.
I feel sometimes the problem is lack of training or just don't care after the sale.

Not bashing John Deere service here, because I feel there's more good one then bad ones.

Do you feel confident in your John Deere dealer?

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
As I get older and about seen it all, I'm getting paranoid in my old age and don't trust anyone
to work on my equipment anymore.
I feel sometimes the problem is lack of training or just don't care after the sale.

Not bashing John Deere service here, because I feel there's more good one then bad ones.

Do you feel confident in your John Deere dealer?
There is a reason I do all my own wrenching now. Cost and quality!

My dealer has great parts guys though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been meaning to give my dealer some credit since I bought my 1026R.

I only shopped around my local area which has 2 JD dealers within 30 minutes. Luckily the closest dealer gave me the best deal and I've bought some various parts and supplies there in the past.

I did have a transmission leak with my new tractor, and they took care of it under warranty without any prodding by me. Pick-up and delivery was free of course. The sales manager actually called me several times and sent me emails giving me updates and on the status, and even sent me a list of parts they had to order to fix it. Though it took almost 4 weeks, they did a through job, and took care of the problem. They even gave me a tank of diesel when they were done. (side note they couldn't fill it before they returned it, but gave me 5 gallons the following week).

I had cracked my SMV triangle during one of my excursions into my woods. I didn't notice at first, but my dealer replaced the SMV while it was in for service. It was free of charge and he didn't even tell me about it until I asked 2 weeks later.

Whenever I visit, they all say hello, they know me by name, and they give me a preferred discount on all parts and accessories that I buy, JD, Stihl, etc.

I would definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking for a good power equipment dealer.

Since we're on the subject, my dealer is Adams Power Equipment in Poughkeepsie, New York. Ask for Joe in sales and Mike in service.

Do you think I like my JD dealer? I sure do:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well my john deere dealer in north haven, Ct likes to miss diagnose alot of problems and charge you extra hours! happened to me and some of my buddys. I brought my john deere 214 in because it was receiving no spark what so ever so i sent it in 89$ a hour for labor wasn't happy but had to be done cause i new absolutely nothing about horizontal engines so i brought it in 2 days later got a call saying it was the coil so i was like ok how much lady said 364$! and around 400$ with installation i was like no wayy thats atleast a 30min to a hour job and tried to charge me 200$ for a battery! i was like i didnt say to install a battery so the total was brought down to 164$ so i paid that got home installed the coil still no spark wtf? so i read up on these engines and there is a coil ,condensor and points so i was like im not going there again so i bought the points, gasket, and condensor for 20$ at the same dealer installed just the points and the new coil now it runs like a champ. So now i fix everything myself no matter how long it takes That john dealer is not touching my JD ever again. Its great to buys parts at but service sucks!:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I like my dealer. I'm on first name basis with the lead sales guy and two of the parts guys. The sales guy calls me when he thinks that I would be interested in something that comes into their dealership and the parts guys are real friendly and treat you with respect. I haven't had any service done by them, so I can't rate that aspect. My dealer also has been bought up by a multi-dealership owner a few months back and with 7 dealerships they will move inventory around if you see something in one of their other stores that you're interested in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is one dealer I know of/ go to that has three storefronts as you mught call them but one of them is in a location such that they only have 5000 series and up because a different entity does 4000 series and down. That one by far is the one I would trust the most however the local one which is growing and up to 7 locations has been very good and extremely fair on the price for what they did. No they never called me up and went around the tractor and discussed like I was lead to believe just called and said all done.

As far as the implements go, one bulk orders frontier stuff and 15 minutes sitting watching the salesman play with his mouse and computer will only be able to tell a price difference of a comparable deere product and the difference in time to get parts. We only have two and one I am pretty sure one is sold, next time over there there are at least 5 in a line. The other one the salesman gets sent to seminars and they have deere brochures.

Fran

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I like my local guys. Where I try to go is a ma and pa shop, surrounded by multiple chains of JD dealers, so I'd like to see them do well. They are a small operation, though, and as with that like when servicing the 110, it can be time consuming. They are good people, though, so as long as their prices stay competitive, I will go there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I like my local Deere dealer. In fact I do everything to find an excuse to go down there and look at the shiny new tractors. :lol: Their parts network is great and the guys at the parts desk are pretty cool, always professional and good trust worthy guys that don't waste your time. I am also friends with the store manager and we often talk about the most recent Deere's to come out, lately the new Gators. :thumbup1gif: As far as the guys in the shop, I'm not sure since i do all of my repair work myself, it both saves me $$$ and gives me an invaluable learning experience. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
Regarding my dealer:

Parts department. :thumbup1gif:

Service department. Other than warranty work, I have no experience with them. :unknown:

Sales department. Typical salesmen. :bash:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My local Deere Dealership ( Huron Tractor Ltd) in Southwestern Ontario is a really good dealer to do business with. I have been dealing with them for many years now and Parts & Service have been GREAT! I have never had to wait long for picking up parts or service.

Jason B

·
Registered
18 Posts
No longer go to dealer where I bought 2305

I no longer go to the dealer I bought tractor from. There service was terrible, need to keep the tractor for 4 weeks to change oil. Also had emailed them for 2 months about changing oil before they could do it. That was going to happen. The last time I was there , the salesman and head of service department made snide remarks about me being there. When emailed them about get attachments for tractor it took 1 1/2 months to get any info back. My business was to small for them to care about. There are good dealers out there just have to find them.
Found another JD dealer that wanted my business, thought it is 40 miles from my house. The other dealer was 1 1/2 miles away.
Love the tractor just wish I bought it somewhere else with good service.

• :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great topic.

I have two local dealers, one great, one terrible.

I purchased my X728 from the Hudson River Tractor company and will never do business with them again. I had been looking for a clean, low hours X700 series with FEL for some time and came across one on HRT's website. I rang them up, provided my credit card and purchased the machine sight unseen. I had a relative picking up the machine for me so the first I would see it in-person would be in my driveway; so I had some operational questions for the dealer while I had him on the phone. Manager "Hans" told me that he didn't have time for my questions and would have to figure things out on my own. I had some choice words for him and told him that having just spent $10k entitled me to having my questions answered. Oh, and I also told him that he needed to throw in a couple hats to make me feel better about my purchase. :mad:

On day 5 I sprung a hydraulic cylinder leak (http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/hydraulics/4431-help-sprung-hydraulic-leak.html) and asked if HRT would cover the repair. Just a about a year later and I'm still waiting for an answer and ended up fixing the cylinder myself, thanks to the help of GTT. Fortunately, the machine turned out to be everything I wanted although can't say the same for Hudson River Tractor's customer service.

I've since started going to a small mom and pop dealer, Knightes Farm Lawn & Garden and they are great. Been going there ever since, although I try to do most of the work on my machines myself.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My dealer is the best...Of course I also work there. LOL!
That being said.. There is really no excuse for a poor service dept. Having a poor service dept is the number 1 reason why no one comes back to buy there again. Our service dept is very closely monitored by our store GM, corp guys, as well as Deere itself. I cant see how a dealership can get away with poor service, but I guess it happens. Every job we do is quoted once a diagnostic check is completed, and the customer knows exactly how much it is going to cost. Once the repair is approved, we are off and running. Any changes and we call the customer. Its just that simple. There is always a busy season. But still we hold to a 2 week backlog. Since dec of 12, we have processed over 1500 work orders. We work on anything that comes thru the door.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Like most of the replies here, I rate my dealer's parts guys fairly highly, and am on a first name basis with them. I do my own work most of the time as my tractors have mostly been the older Garden Tractor models like the 322, 318, 317 etc. and many of the guys in the service department are younger than these machines and may have never worked on one before.

Deere is consolidating dealerships and closing some and that is too bad -- they also are stocking fewer of the older parts and making us pay shipping to our local dealer much of the time. Due to that I have started getting my parts from GreenFarmParts.com with excellent results and great pricing, and was pleased to see them as a sponsor when I came over to this site from WFM.

Chuck

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
I've been pleased all the way around.

·
Administrator
20,476 Posts
I've been pleased all the way around.
Me too. My dealer has been very accommodating and very helpful. I have no needs to go anywhere else. :good2:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Like Tomfive I bought my 1026r/TLB/54D/54" front blade from Adam's Power Equipment. I already had bought a GX335/48C/48"blade/42"snowblower new in '04 and was pleased with the service/parts all along. That tractor had a warranty issue in the steering adjustment lock and a snowblower bearing in the first few hours or so and they picked them up and did the repairs.

I don't have any issues yet with the TLB nor do I have very many hours on it, but I have every confidence that Adam's will take care of anything that comes up mechanically. As usual I'll be doing all the routine maintenance and getting parts/fluids from them. Since they're only 3 miles from the house I don't mind waiting for an ordered part or belt if it's not in stock. I've never waited longer than 4-5 days for stuff on order.

I've also bought a pile of Stihl stuff from them and they carry most of those items in stock. I did notice there was no JD Diesel Conditioner there awhile back and mentioned it to the parts department. It was there the following week! I like staying close to home and working with local folks and I'm willing to pay a little extra to do that. I save $'s in the long run when I don't have to go chasing around the countryside for the absolute cheapest prices on stuff. Trimmer string, oils, greases, etc., they have it right there!

·
Registered
770 Posts
The "Local" Dealer, was a Green lawnmower Boutique, that catered to the yuppies and city folks east of us.

Owners were odd ducks from out of state, and had no clue about anything but Row crops and lawns, while set up in the middle of the nations #2 Fruit and vegetable production territory. It wasn't bad enough to just be clueless though, as the sales staff was totally lost as well, and could be rather insulting.
Think of every greasy used car salesman cliche, wrap it up in lime green polyester, and stack it on white patent leather shoes...and you would have thier sales monkeys. There is a reason nobody went there looking to drop 100K on new Iron, and went south and Red or blue instead.
Thier service side was a joke.

Next nearest dealer was only 40Min. away, and thanks to them, Fillmore equipment, Deere isn't hated in this area.

I can get out of stock parts next day , in field tech support at reasonable rates, in stock parts drop off, and pre-season Tractor prep comes with a 100 hour warranty of no break downs or loaners are provided. Shop rates are more than fair, and to the point that on some things, it dosn't pay to do my own repairs.

Crap, 50 bucks to swing by with the semi and pick up the tractor, is cheaper than me hauling it. The Techs are first rate, the shop manager is as solid as they get, and is intuitive with the Deere Tech database. If there is a known problem, he's one step ahead.
I dunno how they do with lawnmowers, but I would assume quite well.

Last Fall, Fillmore bought out the local Jackass, and closed up thier dump of a green lawnmower shop, then moved to a gigantic brand new shop, just a little further away.
Full line up, from the riding mowers through the 9 series, and some models are 3 deep on the lot, lots of tillage and impliments....everything, like a Green mecca. The shop is awesome...like 3 acres indoors, and a floor you could eat off of awesome. Full indoor wash bay, Dynos, overhead cranes, and what has to be the largest parts inventory I have ever seen at a multi shop owners facility....even had parts for the old poppers on a couple shelves.

Fillmore is the reason I ended up going green, after growing up Red and Blue, and operating Red and Blue for 20 years.

Crap, I needed hydro remotes and hoses for the NH a couple weeks ago, and the nearest NH dealer was out of stock and mentioned a wait of four days plus the weekend. The Deere dealer had the proper fittings in stock, made me hoses, and dropped them off that day, for less than the NH dealer.:usa
Saved me 80 bucks plus fuel, and six days of down time.
Last harvest, the only place I could find 80 and 100 series HD roller chain, that wasn't communist Chineese garbage, was the Deere dealer, and they saved me from having to run crap drive chain that always breaks..at a fair price.

I'm spoiled from the sounds of it. I like it.:yahoo:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts