Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for some ideas on how to store my implements outside (not inside a garage) with some overhead protection from the elements. Photos would be great to see. Right now, because of record snow falls in Northern Maine, my loader and bucket and rake have disappeared from view, totally covered over by snow.

Your ideas are needed.

FredSG

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
I have seen structures similar to this used for implements. Most of the time there is no floor at all. They only need to be deep enough to accommodate the depth of the implement to keep snow and rain off. Very simple and inexpensive to construct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Fred,

I have a Shelter Logic tarp building that I store my equipment and other stuff in year round. Snowblowers in the summer, mowers and FEL in the winter. It works for me, the only downside is when I make the switchover in the spring and fall.

Dave

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
This was the best/cheapest alternative for me. A very basic 3 sided carport... still very happy with the decision, and is doing a very good job keeping sun/rain/snow off of equipment. Perhaps something like this could work for you---- an infinite array of sizes can be had. Best of luck

My Shed for equipment storage
That is likely the best/cheapest free standing alternative for most of us really, depending of course on how many implements you have to store.
Lots of things can be built, like the small wood shed pictured above with the metal roof, but that still takes money, and isnt nearly as water resistant as the 3 solid sides. Two different purposes though.

The other thing you could do, if you have an existing shop/garage/shed would be to build a roof or awning off the side to shelter the attachments.
This is something Ive considered, but will add two sides to it if I do. I could easily put 24' of pallet racking along one side of the garage and extend the roof 10' and have a nice protected area for attachments and anything that doesnt need to be protected from Summer heat or Winter cold.
This option would likely be considerably cheaper than the stand alone building too, assuming one was doing their own work.

These are things Im looking into too, so Ill be following along for other ideas.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello,

I finally was able to build my storage shed . . . not as big as I would have liked, it’s only 6' deep x 12' long x 8' high at the front end and 6 ½' at the rear end. It just need a roof, but with two replacement knees that I can’t kneel on, I’ll have to reply on paid help to finish the roof. I still need to make a ramp.

We had 16 1/2' feet of snow in Northern Maine this past Winter :banghead: Tarps would not have worked very well for me

My EA grapple will go inside along with my JD Pallet Forks, and JD front Snow Blower, and hopefully, I will be able to fit my two stage Toro snow blower and one stage Toro snow blower inside along with a few other garden implements.

Thanks for looking.

FredSG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello again,

The garage bay in this photo was originally used for my JD 4310. My new 4052R would not fit as the door entrance was not high enough, so I had to modify the opening to fit my 4052R. You can see what I did in the photo. My 4052R fits fine now. My JD 4310 is housed in another bay.

Thanks for looking.

FredSG

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
THAT is awesome FredSG!! :good2:

I think you just solved my design problem!

How beefy did those 6' wide doors have to be? Are you worried about them sagging at all?

EDIT: You posted again while I was posting. I was referring to the new shed. It looks great! As does the "door modification" on the garage bay!

·
Premium Member
9,364 Posts
Fregsg,

Are you considering any type of racks for "shelving" some of the implements? With the front of the storage building opening as wide as it does, perhaps having pallet racks on one side might help with stacking implements...

As long as you keep the pallet forks handy, you could put the FEL bucket and in the off season, the snow blower on the rack to keep floor space open....

I really like the attention to detail in the building and its really nice looking....:good2:

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks,

The doors were made using 3/4" thick 4" T & G Pine boards. All the trim is pine. Really not that heavy, but I'm hoping the four hinges will hold them in place. I've made other doors the same way, no sagging issues. My biggest problem is with moisture build up in the wood. If I don't allow for the "swelling factor" or if my spacing is too narrow, the doors will over-lap and won't close properly. I still need to add trim in places on the floor of the shed.

The bucket in the photo will go on my 4052R. So the only implement not housed will be my loader from my JD 4310. The 4310 will have a front snow blower for the Winter. Hopefully, I will have it all worked out before the snow comes.

Next project is my Carry All.

FredSG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SullyBear,

As I remember you posted information about your very nice Carry All. I'm thinking of building mine with a double layer of 3/4" plywood as the base bottom and back. Then, eventually, painting it JD green. Of course, I will add on edging and supports, to complete the build. My only concern is sagging of the plywood? I would glue and screw the two sheets of 3/4" plywood together to firm up the base. I've made work tables using a two 3/4" plywood base . . . but for a Carry All? Your thoughts?

FredSG

·
Premium Member
7,937 Posts
The ones I store outside sit on 4x4 blocks to keep them out of the dirt. :flag_of_truce:

Reactions: Dr Kubar
1 - 14 of 14 Posts