Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dual rear remotes have float, but only in one valve. I was wondering, for those of you with top and tilt kits, how do you use your float mode? Do you use it for the top link or the side link? What attachments do you use it with? What does it do for you with that attachment, in practice?

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I don't use the float with the hyd top link that I have and I can't think of any reason to use it with the tilt either.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I use float on the top link with the rotary cutter. Allows the cutter to rise and fall separate from the tractor on rough/uneven terrain.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I use the float mode when I extend the top link so the rear blade of the box blade just 'grooms' and slightly spreads the material. Make a few passes and the small dips and holes get filled in without carrying a bunch of dirt or gravel in the box.

When I maintain my interior roads, I start on the road sides with the box blade tilted to make a good crown and define the road edge - in float mode. Then I do the other side of the road with a couple of passes in float. Then a couple of passes on each side working towards the center (this driveway is 14' wide) with reduced side-to-side tilt. Finally a couple of passes with a level box and the top link still extended and the rockshaft in float.

My Frontier box blade has a hinged rear blade which makes it ideal for my road grooming procedure.

·
Premium Member
13,797 Posts
I use float on the top link with the rotary cutter. Allows the cutter to rise and fall separate from the tractor on rough/uneven terrain.
I'm curious Big, what type of rotary cutter are you using? On my Frontier I use the tractor's top link to adjust the floating top link on the rotary cutter and then the cutter just floats along with the terrain, if I were to "float" my tractor's top link that wouldn't seem to work, but I've never used one so this may be new to me.

Edit: Brian pretty much answered my question down below, thanks Brian:thumbup1gif:

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
My dual rear remotes have float, but only in one valve. I was wondering, for those of you with top and tilt kits, how do you use your float mode? Do you use it for the top link or the side link? What attachments do you use it with? What does it do for you with that attachment, in practice?
Float mode is used with the top link using a mower when using the mower at banks as an example where the flexible hitch that is on most mowers these days simply does not allow the mower to move enough to allow the mower to follow the angle of the bank either up or down.

A common place to use float with the side link is when doing a finish smoothing of a road with a crown that has intersections such as a main drive that has separate driveways to neighboring homes. Having the side link in float mode allows the implement to follow the ground instead of the tractor as it goes around a corner and the crown changes from one drive to the other.

These are only 2 examples, there are more. Some apply here and there, other people simply do not have the circumstances that benefit from using the float feature at all. Others would be lost without it once they realized the benefits for their applications.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

So I guess if you only have one float function in your valves you just swap the hoses back and forth as needed?

If you do that, which do you leave it on by "default"? I know it depends on individual usage, I'm just curious what most people do.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
I'm curious Big, what type of rotary cutter are you using? On my Frontier I use the tractor's top link to adjust the floating top link on the rotary cutter and then the cutter just floats along with the terrain, if I were to "float" my tractor's top link that wouldn't seem to work, but I've never used one so this may be new to me.

Edit: Brian pretty much answered my question down below, thanks Brian:thumbup1gif:

Yeah he beat me to it. I've known people to completely unhook the top link in a field that they know well.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Thanks everyone.

So I guess if you only have one float function in your valves you just swap the hoses back and forth as needed?

If you do that, which do you leave it on by "default"? I know it depends on individual usage, I'm just curious what most people do.
I personally would have the side link as the unit with the float feature. But then I grade probably 20-1 ratio to mowing.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I personally would have the side link as the unit with the float feature. But then I grade probably 20-1 ratio to mowing.
Thanks Brian. First I need a side link, though! And I'm trusting you to fix that problem. :)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Thanks Brian. First I need a side link, though! And I'm trusting you to fix that problem. :)
I'm in the exact same boat with you...tick, tock...the months tick away. :good2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts