Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It is possible, depending on the type of hydraulic cartridge used in the diverter, the ports that are not used when the diverter is shifted are pretty much closed. If the FEL ports are are tightly closed by the diverter, then it will not leak down.

Solenoid controlled cartridge valves normally have less internal leakage, and some have check valves in them so they have no internal leakage, so they provide a more positive lock on the hydraulic accessory. I don't know is this diverter has this capabilities, I am just throwing out a possibility. I guess if it doesn't, you would have to shift the diverter back to the FEL and raise it routinely. :dunno:

It would be like disconnecting the FEL quick connects. If the hose fittings are actually blocked, the FEL will not bleed down.

The reason the FEL or any other cylinder attachments leak down, isn't due to the attachment itself, it is due to the internal leakage in the SCV on the tractor.

Having the solenoid controlled diverter in line after the SCV, this diverter could provide a more positively closed valve than a standard SCV. Don't know, but maybe. :dunno:
You're over-simplifying this a bit and missing another part of the equation: Air

You have internal leakage around the piston seals, but that's usually pretty minimal unless they're worn or scored from dirty oil. You also have air that gets introduced from cavitation which can lead to sag and sponginess in the mechanism.

Hydraulics are not mechanical holding devices intended to support loads indefinitely. They have internal losses which are compensated for and otherwise simply accepted as part of the beast. I'm actually impressed with how long my rockshaft will support a load when not under power. My loader will leak down much faster. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I wonder if Deere has gone from spec'ing hand lapped valves to precision ground and honed valves? That'd account for a decrease in cost (ground and honed being less labor intensive) and an increase in internal leakage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.