Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer wife and I moved from the suburbs to an acreage about 15 miles outside of the metro. My drive is now right at 30 miles to work, takes me around 30-40 minutes one way.

Previous commute was 28 miles, but right through heart of town (and traffic). Getting to work in the morning was fast, since I usually arrived around 6:45 AM. Leaving work at 4:30 really depended on traffic. Sometimes 40 minutes, sometimes an hour and a half.

We really love living in the country. Only downside is my drive to Menards/Wally world is 10 miles. Used to be 2 miles. All my immediate family is right in Omaha within 20 minutes drive time.

I really can't complain, my cousins grew up on a ranch in the Sandhills of Nebraska. They drove 60 miles one way for groceries, and nearest walmart was three hours.

What is your commute / drive to groceries?

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
Mine is 25 miles, 30 minutes +/- depending on my mood and weather conditions.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
My morning commute from the recliner to the coffee pot is about 40' or so. The evening commute from the recliner to the dinner table is about half that.

Before retirement, my commute was 11 miles each way and took 15 minutes in good weather and up to 45 minutes during snowstorms.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My commute is 38 miles each direction. All but 4 miles is four lane highway, 70 mph speed limit. Takes about 35-40 minutes depending on traffic, road conditions and construction. Over the summer construction forced me take back roads which lengthened my drive to an hour. Still better than sitting in stopped traffic. A few times in the winter it’s taken 90 minutes due to snow and ice.

As for stores, that’s pretty easy. Walmart, Fleet Farm and Menards are two miles away. Two other grocery stores three miles away. John Deere dealer 2 miles from my front door that is open until 6pm Monday through Friday and until 3pm on Saturday. Two bigger Deere dealers within 20 minutes. One the sister dealership to one in town, the other a different dealer chain and the one I bought my tractor from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,244 Posts

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
My morning commute from the recliner to the coffee pot is about 40' or so. The evening commute from the recliner to the dinner table is about half that.

Before retirement, my commute was 11 miles each way and took 15 minutes in good weather and up to 45 minutes during snowstorms.
I didn't mention that, it can take as much as an hour a few times a year.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I drive 45 miles each way. Takes an hour to an hour 15 depending on traffic.

But it’s so worth it living out in the sticks where there’s peace and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
My commute, over the 40+ years we have lived here, has varied originally from about 15 miles to about 25 the last 30. This area was very rural when we moved in here, but traffic was light and roads good. We learned early on, with two girls, 4 & 8, that our automobile expenses were going to be considerable, and that two vehicles would be necessary...not only that, but when the girls got up in high school, they too would "need" vehicles of their own. We knew, understood and accepted the fact that all things considered, our transportation costs would probably be the largest item in our budget. Have never regretted a minute of it; it has been worth it for the quality of life we have enjoyed, and the reassurance that our kids and grand kids have grown up in a safe area with lots of room to run, play, explore with friends similarly situated.

It's not so bad now that we have both retired and our mileage is much less, but old habits are tough to break and we still have two vehicles plus the old Impalas. I would do it over again and never look back, even if my commute was twice as long.

·
Super Moderator
4,838 Posts
Mine too! Sometimes I have to wait in traffic to get to the coffee pot! Dang cats clog up the hallway! :laugh:

·
Registered
108 Posts
How far is my commute?

I live 30 miles from my job AANNNDDD its 30 miles to my closest Wally World. Lowe's Home Improvement is 33 miles.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
dam i got everyone beat so far i commute 72 miles one way to work takes about an hr and a half depending on traffic but where i live is only 5 minutes from lowes and a grocery store and liquor store :mocking: and an hour away from kens bolt on hooks :lol:

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
When I was working it was a 42 mile drive to my truck which took 50 minutes in dry roads. What was nice is that I worked 24 hours on and 24 hour off more or less. Made the trip worth while. Between home and there I pass absolutely nothing - no stores, mini-marts, etc. There is a 17 mile section where I didn’t pass a house or camp. Had to have plenty of emergency supplies in the truck as there is no cell service along that entire route either. Having the 36 gallon fuel tank in my truck was a necessity.

Groceries, stores, hospital is all 35 miles away which is 45 minutes on good roads. We usually do a grocery run every other week. The nearest Lowe’s in a bigger town is a 3 hour round trip. I keep an inventory of basic household repair items - electrical, plumbing, etc. - you don’t just jump in the truck and go down the road for anything around here.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
dam i got everyone beat so far i commute 72 miles one way to work takes about an hr and a half depending on traffic but where i live is only 5 minutes from lowes and a grocery store and liquor store :mocking: and an hour away from kens bolt on hooks :lol:
The distance to Kens is a big plus for me!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My commute is a grueling 6 minutes, I'd say maybe 4 miles. Wednesday I saw 1 other vehicle on my way. The grocery store is about the same distance, 10 mins with the 3 stoplights.

The commute home on Tuesdays takes a little longer. It's Auto Auction day and they test drive on my route home. They seem to be getting better at not doing stupid stuff in front of me.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
My commute to Rochester, MN is about 45 minutes. I’m about 40 miles to the south. There is a small town of 3500 about 6 or 7 miles where there are a couple restaurants, bars, grocery store, John Deere dealer, MF dealer, New Holland dealer, hardware store, Napa, locker, grain elevator, doctor, etc. So all of the essentials are covered.
There are smaller towns scattered around the area. The way rural Minnesota is laid out, there are usually little towns of about 500 people about every 5 miles with a gas station, bar/restaurant, maybe a small grocery-combination-hardware-farm-store.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
When I was working it was a 42 mile drive to my truck which took 50 minutes in dry roads. What was nice is that I worked 24 hours on and 24 hour off more or less. Made the trip worth while. Between home and there I pass absolutely nothing - no stores, mini-marts, etc. There is a 17 mile section where I didn’t pass a house or camp. Had to have plenty of emergency supplies in the truck as there is no cell service along that entire route either. Having the 36 gallon fuel tank in my truck was a necessity.

Groceries, stores, hospital is all 35 miles away which is 45 minutes on good roads. We usually do a grocery run every other week. The nearest Lowe’s in a bigger town is a 3 hour round trip. I keep an inventory of basic household repair items - electrical, plumbing, etc. - you don’t just jump in the truck and go down the road for anything around here.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.
Driftwood isn’t exactly a busseling urban hub, is it. :laugh: I suppose you could buy an expired can of beans at least!

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,674 Posts
About 20 feet to my home office...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You got me beat, mines about 30 ft, of course there is always a detour passed the coffee pot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 69 Posts