Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not my picture, but to get you started here is one I found on the internet. It's a 4 ft rotary cutter rather than a 5 foot. JD does not recommend a 5 ft cutter for the 1025R, according to my dealer, as it is too heavy and requires more HP to run. From my experience this picture is about as high off the ground as the tractor will manage. Note the cutter tail wheel is set at about the 4 inch cutting position. With my cutter set at either of the 2 highest positions, 7 1/2 inches or 9 inches, I can't lift the wheel off the ground at all. It still works fine, you just have to roll it to the area to be cut.

bush.JPG

·
Registered
165 Posts
called the dealer today he said a frontier RC2048 would be $1,407 before tax is that a good price
That's a pretty good price. I paid $1,350 for mine, but paid cash so got a discount for that.

Also, when set correctly, that picture is pretty much how mine sits all the way up when it is level for cutting.

Sometimes though if i want to use it for counter weight for loader works, i will adjust the arm so it sits higher up. I've never measured it before, but there is definitely a few inches that can be gained from cranking the top link.

·
Registered
913 Posts
called the dealer today he said a frontier RC2048 would be $1,407 before tax is that a good price
Almost exactly what I paid for mine about 3-4 months ago. That included the imatch bushings installed.

They have some options. Either chain front and rear guards, or metal, or rubber. I don't know if the price varies or not. I'd have preferred chains, but the one in stock had metal rear and rubber front. Also, some have shear bolts, others have slip clutches. There are 2 tire options, rubber vs laminated. Some have foot guards, but others don't. PTO shaft seems to be dealer's choice - whatever they want to put on it. My dealer put a used one on mine, and I had to complain to get it replaced.

Make sure you get the setup you want, rather than simply leaving it up to the dealer to choose for you.

If you're a first time buyer, like I was, be aware that there are configuration options.

·
Registered
913 Posts
https://youtu.be/cQGG_P10zsA

Tim just posted an awesome video that may help you.

3025e

I've only watched two of the Tim videos. In this one he's connecting his PTO shaft with the tractor running. In the other I watched he was trailering:dunno: his tractor without any tie-downs.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've only watched two of the Tim videos. In this one he's connecting his PTO shaft with the tractor running. In the other I watched he was trailering:dunno: his tractor without any tie-downs.
Nothing wrong with hooking up PTO with the tractor running. How often does your PTO engage without warning?

3025e

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Nothing wrong with hooking up PTO with the tractor running. How often does your PTO engage without warning?

3025e
I agree with you on that. Plus, Tim edits all of his videos for time so maybe it appeared he didn't use tie downs when that part may have been edited out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Guilty of this

3025e
I'm occasionally guilty of doing this but it's a bad practice. If the PTO kicks in once you are screwed and probably going to have to learn how to hook it up next time with only one hand or maybe your wife will be talking to the life insurance guy.

How much trouble is it to shut down the engine and restart?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Here is a 4 foot King Kutter dome deck with Flex Hich ($839 at Fleet Farm)

I had not put the chain kits and PTO shaft on in the pic, but that is as high as she goes.

With the loader on I still put 4 weights on the front or she gets really light on the front wheels, especially when going up hill or raising it with the nose up hill.

IMG_0703.JPG

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't believe I have ever trailered my tractor without tiedowns.

Please PM me the link to the video where you supposedly saw me doing that.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

3025e
How many times in the history of the world has a PTO spontaneously engaged?

No one was on or near the tractor or pto controls.

If that had ever happened on my tractor, I would have noticed it. Tiller or mower spontaneously starting?

Come on guys, are you REALLY saying that this video is unsafe???

Let's do a poll. Please reply here if your 1-series PTO has EVER spontaneously engaged the PTO.
(Not talking about some 1950's worn out junk here...)
Tim

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts

If that had ever happened on my tractor, I would have noticed it. Tiller or mower spontaneously starting?

Let's do a poll. Please reply here if your 1-series PTO has EVER spontaneously engaged the PTO.
Tim
I'm with ya Tim, guilty as charged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,199 Posts
:hijacked::slap-yourself-emoti

Lets not turn this into ????.

If the PTO thing is important, maybe it should be its own thread? (Please).

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't believe I have ever trailered my tractor without tiedowns.

Please PM me the link to the video where you supposedly saw me doing that.

Thanks!

Tim
Sorry, I should have specified without CHAIN tie-downs. But the chain vs nylon fight is best left for another thread.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts
Don't have a 1 series

Tim
Well, I don't have a 1 series so I'm out of the poll. I will say that while the chance of an occurrence is very slight, the consequences are large, possibly fatal. Since anything man can make can possibly screw up, I try to shut down engines anytime I have to be around a PTO. I will admit, I'm guilty of not doing this but really try to shut it down.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
715 Posts
When they say live PTO doesn't that mean you can hookup a PTO shaft anytime?

3025e
No. With a hydrostatic transmission the term is pretty meaningless.

Live PTO means that it is active with the tractor motion clutch depressed. This was historically accomplished using either a two stage (or two separate) clutch or with a hydraulic motor making the PTO independent of the transmission.

Al

1 - 20 of 25 Posts