Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my JD X300 with either a 2025R or a 2032R tractor with mid mount mower. I will probably go with R4 tires with rim guard for extra ballast when using the loader. My question is if this set-up is too heavy for weekly lawn mowing?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Since I mow my yard with a 4066R on R4 tires, I think I can safely say that the 2 series would not be too heavy.

Dave

·
Registered
448 Posts
Having mowed with a GT that weighed maybe 600 lbs for 20 years, let me assure you that if you mow following the same path over and over, you definitely will have some 'ruts' from the compaction over time even with a lighter machine. A heavier machine just makes it happen sooner. Alter your pattern every few mowings and maybe use a lawn roller.

·
Premium Member
6,540 Posts
It depends on your soil.
That is the key. I we have a yard with nice grass more than a lawn. I run my 8,000 truck across it with no damage but do avoid it when the frost comes up. I don’t worry about the 2038r.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why do you want to mow with something that big and why R4 tires, they would be my last choice for in the yard. I have a 2520 with turf tires and after seeing the mid mount mower they (john deere) had at the time I never considered mowing with it and that was before I read reviews from guys that tried. You will wish you had your X300 back. JMHO

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
The first question would be........
is it a lawn or is it just grass. If it's a lawn, keep your X300, and buy a tractor to meet your tractoring needs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's harder for us to spend your money without knowing more about what your needs are. I mow weekly with my 2025R but I would suggest buying a tractor for tractor use and a lawnmower for lawn mowing as usually mowing with a tractor is a compromise, although there are reasons why that compromise must be made (I'm an example of that).

Edit: There are some who really enjoy mowing with a tractor and there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,708 Posts
Our Z915 is ~1,200 lbs

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
You are going to have more work to get a well manicured lawn with a 2 ton tractor than you will with a half ton mowing machine. But many people are happy to have a "yard" with mostly grass, some weeds, a root here and there and usually dead spots from kids stuff sitting around (plastic lawn toys, trampolines, etc) and from the dog peeing or maybe it is the kids. It all depends on your goal.

I like a well manicured lawn which is smooth and lush. Many don't. They require a lot of time and work and more expense than one less "well kept". Lawns are like women, you can get them as fancy as you want, but the fancier they get, the more they cost and the more they usually demand from you.

It also depends upon trees to mow under and around and other obstacles. Personally, I am a big believer in the best machine for the task and if that means multiple machines to achieve the tasks, then that is what you own. I mow with a commercial zero turn mower and have two tractors for other stuff. I don't even have a MMM for my 1025r and don't plan to buy one.

It's also important to point out that the machines weight is just a part of the equation, the soil compaction and the foot print depend upon tire selection and size. There are commercial mowers which weigh two tons and produce wonderful results. But all they do is cut lots of grass really well and they have low impression tires by design. They don't have to worry about snow traction, etc as most of us don't mow grass in deep snow. Notice, I said most.......

Have you ever mowed with a larger machine like the 2025r or the 2032r? Both are usually limited to a 60" deck but the machine weight and compression is up there compared to other machines. Some find they need a lot of tree trimming to get a larger machine up tight and personal. What type of under ground sewer, septic or drain field do you have?

All things to consider. If you have a wide open area and the ground is rock hard, its probably not a real lush lawn as they require good drainage and irrigation and its difficult to produce a lush lawn on a parking lot hard ground.

If your goal is to cut grass, then a tractor is likely fine. If your goal is to stripe the lawn and look like the outfield at Wrigley Field, then the tractor is probably not the best tool for the task. However, the pallet forks would be great for dealing with the Ivy walls.......and vines.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
243 Posts
Our Z915 is ~1,200 lbs
Interesting. I thought I remembered that my z945 was around 1200# but a friend who had a much bigger mower told me no way, said that's what his huge dixie chopper weighed. I think it was a 74" Excalibur if I remember right.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Why do you want to mow with something that big and why R4 tires, they would be my last choice for in the yard. I have a 2520 with turf tires and after seeing the mid mount mower they (john deere) had at the time I never considered mowing with it and that was before I read reviews from guys that tried. You will wish you had your X300 back. JMHO
In my case, the 4066R is all I have to mow with, other than a 30 inch Toro Personal Pace mower that I trim with occasionally. Too many acres. That 4066R does multiple duties, hence the R4 tires. For mowing, I have a 3pt 110 inch Befco finish mower, a 3pt 10ft Rhino brush hog, and a 7ft sickle bar mower. That is just mowing. It is used for many other duties as well. Right now, I am draining a pond, so a lot of digging there, but the real digging will not start for probably a year after it dries up enough to start digging it deeper, although I might consider renting a small excavator in order to do it quicker.

I made up my mind when I moved to the country that I did not want to spend all my time mowing, so I got the equipment to make it easy on myself (A/C is sure nice). The people on the next property south of me have 2 JD zero turns and with both of them mowing, it takes them nearly all day. Both of them work, so that pretty much kills their weekend, what with also having to take care of their horses.

Dave

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i always laugh when i read a question like the proposed one .....i mow my lawn with a 5105m with filled R1 tires....10k+ ........do i mow it when its wet and soft (NO) .....do the R! tires tear up the lawn (NO) ......do i have trees and features to go around (YES) but not many.....is it a nice grass lawn (YES).......point is it just depends on your situation ...there are times when a bicycle can track up a lawn.....even grass varieties make a difference ...many a maicured golf course is mowed with heavy equipment

I fully agree with DDs post #14.......i see no need to spend my life on a mower in the hot sun.....when i can mow with big equipment in a hr or two in AC with air ride seat and radio etc...

·
Registered
243 Posts
One of your tractors on my lawn would rut parts of it up year round, so yes, size matters depending on soil type. Lawn size and layout matters too. An LCUT with a 3 point mower would be ridiculously inefficient for a lot of my yard and would leave a lot of trim mowing.

My 2025r has rutted some parts of my yard so bad that I regretted my decision to buy it for awhile, with the mmm at least. I'm going to have to use something else to mow at least a large part of my property next season because by the time it's firmed up enough to mow with the tractor, the grass is too long to mow with a finish mower. I mow about 2.5 of my 5 acres.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Having mowed with a GT that weighed maybe 600 lbs for 20 years, let me assure you that if you mow following the same path over and over, you definitely will have some 'ruts' from the compaction over time even with a lighter machine. A heavier machine just makes it happen sooner. Alter your pattern every few mowings and maybe use a lawn roller.
I have a 2025r with loaded tires and varying the mower pattern does help. I don’t do it enough. I think it’s a good mowing machine.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
You also have to consider the tire contact area. My 2025R weighs more than my old 2305. But the larger tires and then with them being The new R3 radials I am actually putting allot less weight per square inch on the ground that I did with the lighter 2305.

I mowed around allot of trees with no problem the 60” deck on the 2035R works just fine

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can't speak for the 2032R but the 2025R is very maneuverable for it's size, the turning radius is very tight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am replacing my JD X300 with either a 2025R or a 2032R tractor with mid mount mower. I will probably go with R4 tires with rim guard for extra ballast when using the loader. My question is if this set-up is too heavy for weekly lawn mowing?
After delaying my 1025/2025 purchase, I've been mowing with a "puny" x738 with the 54" deck now for a few months. In my case I have two septic beds that limit my interest in using a 2000 pound lawn mower. it does OK but as others have said it's not doing a finish mower on a putting green quality cut And more so on a lawn like mine which is mostly uneven and has complex curves and side hills and trees and beds.

If I could find a lighter AWD "riding mower" I'd use it for mowing duties and get a 1025/2025 TLB for loader/backhoe/grapple/tilling work. Sadly, they took away my Husqvarna 322T choice there.

Cliffs - in my short tractoring tenure at my new place I see the need for two tractors, one small/light enough for grass work and a tractor for the attachment work.

Reactions: jdforever
1 - 20 of 22 Posts