Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Where we live in SC the soil is very sandy and after a good rain, I will sink like a lead balloon if I try and mow with the 3046R. (I estimate that it weighs 6500LBs with loaded tires backhoe loader and MMM.) However, if it has not rained for 3-5 days (unless it was a torrential downpour), the ground is like concrete and I don't sink or rut at all. I will say that the 72" MMM on the 3046R cuts better than the 54" deck on my D170.
I have to keep the D170 to mow our drainage swale and over our septic drain field. Hard dirt or not, I still don't feel comfortable driving the big machine over that. So with that said, I'd keep the X300 and possibly get a slightly larger tractor.

Jeff

Reactions: Rule292

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 1 acre+, well aerated, plush lawn in western Taxachusetts with sandy loam for soil. I use my x585 only in the spring and fall mainly for the 14bu mcs. Grass grows like a banshee in the spring and my neighbors leaves land here in the fall. I switch to a Scag 36 Advantage walk behind in the summer because it weighs less than half of the x585 and I can use the exercise. I mow when the soil is moist and the grass is dry because I don't like sucking in dust. Still have to alter the paths and overlaps with either one to avoid ruts.

·
Registered
646 Posts
When my 1023e was "in the shop for a while" the dealer loaned me a 2038R.
Getting on it at first, it felt huge... once I got used to it, I was super comfortable with it.
It had the R4 tires... not ideal for mowing my yard(did dig a little on sharp turns), but it did ok. I'd recommend the R3 for sure.
I'm in upstate NY, Delaware County.. my 2 acre yard is mostly weeds and hay that I've mowed for years to kinda look like a lawn, and we grow rocks here, in mostly clay soil (its hard, til its wet... then its mud)
My thoughts...
The 2038R made mowing a very quick task (fast and smooth)
It was heavy and would rut for sure if the lawn was soft, and if I didn't change paths each mow.
It was surprisingly agile.
My 1023e, while no where near as much fun(no turbo) is far better suited to mowing
I am in love with the 2038R... but alas, between the size (too tall for my tree branches, 72" too wide to get between things) and the weight, I know that I chose the proper machine for mowing my yard and for "Tractor stuff" with the 1023e.
That said... if i had to mow 4 acres of yard like this... the 2038R would hands down win...great cut quality, and powerful enough to mow 6'wide at high speed.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts