Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house now has a new rule: "Yellow cans shall hold only diesel fuel!" (You can see where this is going, along with one of my older "Oops..." threads.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, and condense it to the important facts other newbies might have problems with-

I think gasoline will float on diesel; I added 4 gallons into a tank 1/8th full. That left me do about 2.5 mowing laps around the property before disaster struck. Symptoms: Tractor started sputtering and blue smoke. In like 3 seconds time it went from great to severely limited. Lightbulb went off and I shut it down. That left me on a side slope, in a turn, with the 52" mower deck attached and lowered. No, it's not rollover bad, just a non-flat corner. I was concerned about towing it out with my Cherokee if I had to.

So, the basic problem here is to get the gasoline out, and fresh diesel in. But how? The disposable filter under the floorboard is almost impossible to see with the mower deck attached, let alone get room to work on. The block filter is not a big deal. I was (and still am) under the impression that the filters are ruined, and needed to be replaced. Can anybody dispute this with real world experience?

Out of an abundance of caution, I just snipped the fuel line right forward of the tank nipple. I didn't want to wrestle with a clamp, and risk gasoline in my eyes and down my arm. That made me mad, as I was wasting gas, and polluting my yard. Not to mention gasoline dribbling all over my mower deck. So I hopped in my car and went into town to get... a bunch of stuff to fix my mess. Note#2: J 1025's have a 5/16th inch fuel line. Somewhat uncommon as you can find 1/4 inch and 3/8ths everywhere. They are not really interchangable. as one size will leak, and the other won't fit.

I came back with some 5/16 clear fuel line, 1/4 and 3/8 hose barbs, a small handfull of hose clamps and a little B&S disposable fuel filter as well as a Kohler filter, also disposable. I was kinda thinking about getting the floorboard filter from the top, or at least trying. So just as I carted out a big socket set, a couple of screwdrivers and whatnot, it started to rain. Bad. Cats and dogs kinda rain. I chucked everything in the shed (I crapped out in the corner that has the shed, a lucky break) and ran inside. Actually, the rain was good, as it washed a lot of the gas off the deck and let it soak into the ground. It also gave me a bit of time to think about how I was gonna fix this mess.

After the rain (almost 3 hours) I got a full tank of diesel in town and went to work. I drained the block filter and replaced the element. Then I took my new fuel tubing and stuck it on the intake side of the electric fuel pump. If you don't know about this gizmo, read up on it, as it's pretty important. It's aft of the engine, kinda on the forward vertical edge of the center console. Open the hood and look way behind the engine. It's a silver can about the size of a baby food jar. Sits sideways. You will see an electrical connection, and fuel hose in (driver's side, low pressure) and fuel out (pass. side, med. pressure). This is also the thingy that makes a clicky, rattling sound when you first turn the key and wait for glow plug cycle. You don't have to remove the engine panel, just reach right in from the side. Of course, the squeeze hose clamps were rotated almost exactly opposite of where i needed them to be, so I had to fart around a bit to get the clamp off. The clear tubing was quite stretchy and fit well over the inlet side with some wiggling. The other end went into the fuel jug, which I filled up only about half way at the station. I had a real problem with the tubing though, it was rolled up in a tight coil, and did not want to relax. Thus, I had to play with it a lot to get the open end down into the diesel.

One I kinda figured out where the suction level was, I turned the key to start the electrical fuel pump. It's very noisy when it sucks air, but quiets down when in liquid. You can also feel the pulses change if you're hanging onto the hose. I did 3 glow plug cycles, and checked the block filter bowl- all good. Turned the key and let it crank. It took 3, 10 sec. cycles, but finally took on the 4th. Who said it "shakes like a dog passing a peach pit"? Yep, it does. Also, the half-throttle thing is probably needed. I let it sit 'till the blue smoke was gone and the idle smoothed out. Maybe 10 sec. max.

Then we trundled off across the yard, 5 gallon jug between my feet. It died once when the hose came out of the fuel, so I had to fish around until it got submerged again. As before, listen and feel when priming, then hold the line steady at that point. I tried to stuff a rag in the filler neck of my fuel jug to hold the tubing steady but I couldn't get it quite right. I kept the rag in there anyway to keep debris out.

Also remember that the fuel return line IS returning fuel, and that's running back out from the cut fuel line, so I dribbled crap all down my driveway. Things held together good enough to drop the mower deck and park in a good spot. Then I let it sit over a catch can for a bit and then went to work on the floorboard fuel filter. I have a couple of 18" or so pieces of 5/16 fuel line from my earlier work, so I pulled out a new filter for comparison. A couple of test fits seemed to indicate a good connection, and the clamps made it even better. After that is was just a matter of removing the old one and installing the Kohler. I went with it as it had a bit bigger bowl. Unfortunately, it was a bit longer, so I had to wiggle slack from the underbody clamp back and forth a bit 'till it all lined up.

The deck seemed to be OK, but I was worried about the gasoline eating up the paint, washing out the spindle grease and weakening the belt, so I put it up on my Deck Dolly and pressure washed it with Simple Green, and regreased the spindles. I could find no damage to the belt. Tractor also got a good wash, with attention to the underbody. I hit both with my leaf blower and then went to work on the driveway dribbles. It was dark by then so I put everything away while I was still ahead.

So now I have to finish my raggedy yard, and order a couple extra filters for "just in case". I clamped the fuel tubing to the sunny side of my garage, hanging vertically. I had to put 2 big Vice-Grips on the bottom end to straighten it all out. Hopefully that length will relax in the summer sun, and I can coil it loosely.

Thanks for reading my tale; I hope it helps somebody else someday.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
Glad you had a "happy outcome".

I would definitely replace all of the fuel filters. While I don't know that they are ruined, they are likely compromised and I wouldn't want to trust them. Plus, I would want all gasoline out of the system as it risks washing down the inside of the injector pump and possibly damaging internal components and that, is a serious and expensive problem.

So, the moral of the story is

USE YELLOW DIESEL JUGS FOR DIESEL FUEL

and red cans for gas

and pay attention to what you are pouring into what.........

Just curious, in case I either missed it or it was posted somewhere else, what was the gas in and what did you keep diesel in as far as fuel jugs before? Had you always just used gas cans for diesel?

Once, I put diesel into a 5 gallon red gas jug that hadn't been used in years. It just felt so wrong and bugged me, so I used it first and never did it again. I ended up buying two of those stupid new "no spill" 5 gallon diesel jugs that leak all over and pour like chit, so i could increase my "on hand" capacity to at least 20 gallons of diesel.

We had severe winter storms and I wanted to make sure to have at least 20 gallons of diesel on hand and I only had 2 (6) gallon yellow jugs and (1) 5 gallon yellow jug, so I used a old 5 gallon gas can, treated each jug and then filled the tractor with the red jug first, so I wouldn't have an issue later.

Also, I used it first because I felt like I was doing something I knew I shouldn't.........:hide:

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Man that sucks. Glad you got it in time. Haven’t made that mistake yet and hopefully don’t. I am always afraid of mix fuel and straight fuel in y 2 cycle stuff. I’ve hear horror stories about that also. I have a 1 gallon can for my mix. Glad everything turned out for you.

·
Registered
25,345 Posts
I really liked your idea of running the tractor from the fuel jug to get it back to where you could work on it.

I used to frequent a busy TDI forum (VW turbo diesels) and have read many stories of putting gas in at gas stations and sure there are still plenty more happening.

You should see my wife when she gets fuel - we go to a place that still pumps your fuel for you. She watches them like a hawk and says “diesel” at least 3 times. Not too many diesel Beetle Bugs around so she has to be vigilant.

You realized what happened right off and shut it down. Got yourself some tubing, fittings, and fuel, and took care of it. Nice job - thanks for sharing your story.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I really liked your idea of running the tractor from the fuel jug to get it back to where you could work on it.

I used to frequent a busy TDI forum (VW turbo diesels) and have read many stories of putting gas in at gas stations and sure there are still plenty more happening.

You should see my wife when she gets fuel - we go to a place that still pumps your fuel for you. She watches them like a hawk and says “diesel” at least 3 times. Not too many diesel Beetle Bugs around so she has to be vigilant.

You realized what happened right off and shut it down. Got yourself some tubing, fittings, and fuel, and took care of it. Nice job - thanks for sharing your story.
My friend has a TDI and his wife put gas in it once. It had enough in the lines to get home and drain everything. My other friend has a honda which he accidentally put diesel in. He says it works, but it really hates it.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
One tool that gets used a lot in my shop is a hair dryer. Better than a heat gun in my opinion because you have to try real hard to get things too hot - yet it is hot enough for most everything I need. Use a hair dryer on that hose and it will take the set out of it.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
I have to admit that I'm a bit terrified of making the same mistake myself. I have 2 yellow cans for diesel and several red cans for gas. I only keep the diesel in the garage with the tractor. The red cans with gas stay out in the shed in the back yard. So far, so good.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,969 Posts
It happens, a relative's wife put gasoline in his new diesel pickup, cost him 3 grand. :banghead:

A good friend poured 10 gallons of diesel in his 2 year old Vette, cost him $1400. :banghead:

·
Registered
540 Posts

and red cans for gas

And Blue is for Kerosene.

I don't use any diesel, but I do use kerosene for heaters.

Also, I keep bulk fuel in 5 gallon jugs only and oil mix fuel in 2 gallon or smaller jugs.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,804 Posts
It happens, a relative's wife put gasoline in his new diesel pickup, cost him 3 grand. :banghead:

A good friend poured 10 gallons of diesel in his 2 year old Vette, cost him $1400. :banghead:
How did that happen with the diesel nozzle being so much bigger?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Glad you had a "happy outcome".

I would definitely replace all of the fuel filters. While I don't know that they are ruined, they are likely compromised and I wouldn't want to trust them. Plus, I would want all gasoline out of the system as it risks washing down the inside of the injector pump and possibly damaging internal components and that, is a serious and expensive problem.

and red cans for gas

and pay attention to what you are pouring into what.........

Just curious, in case I either missed it or it was posted somewhere else, what was the gas in and what did you keep diesel in as far as fuel jugs before? Had you always just used gas cans for diesel?

Once, I put diesel into a 5 gallon red gas jug that hadn't been used in years. It just felt so wrong and bugged me, so I used it first and never did it again. I ended up buying two of those stupid new "no spill" 5 gallon diesel jugs that leak all over and pour like chit, so i could increase my "on hand" capacity to at least 20 gallons of diesel.

We had severe winter storms and I wanted to make sure to have at least 20 gallons of diesel on hand and I only had 2 (6) gallon yellow jugs and (1) 5 gallon yellow jug, so I used a old 5 gallon gas can, treated each jug and then filled the tractor with the red jug first, so I wouldn't have an issue later.

Also, I used it first because I felt like I was doing something I knew I shouldn't.........:hide:

A winter storm forced us onto generator ops. I used one of the yellow cans because it was newer and had the handles at the top and on the long side. Much, much easier to pour fuel without spilling. My red jugs aren't all like that. Gonna start swapping them out soon. Also: the new EPA spouts are getting tossed as well. Useless, and more dangerous than the originals! I get the good, "old fashioned kind" from Rural King.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One tool that gets used a lot in my shop is a hair dryer. Better than a heat gun in my opinion because you have to try real hard to get things too hot - yet it is hot enough for most everything I need. Use a hair dryer on that hose and it will take the set out of it.

I will give that a try. It's still misty and cool-ish around here.

·
Old Pa-pa
12,969 Posts
How did that happen with the diesel nozzle being so much bigger?
He poured it in from 2 five gallon cans, blamed his son for putting the diesel cans where the gasoline cans should have been.

He had backed up to his barn, in the dark, to fill up the Vette with extra *hurricane* gas he was trying to use up before
it went bad.

You'd think he would have noticed the smell of diesel, but he didn't.
He made it a couple miles down the road before it started smoking and loosing power.

His wife said they looked like one of those mosquito spraying trucks. :lol:
That's been 5 - 6 years ago, ain't lived it down yet with his *friends*. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Couple years ago myself and a couple friends were on a road trip from central Illinois to Birmingham Alabama. We were traveling in one of the guys wife's VW diesel. We stopped for fuel and the other 2 guys needed to hit the rest room so I stayed with the vehicle to fill the tank. One of the other guys swiped his card to pay for the fuel and I grabbed the pump nozzle to fill the tank. I pulled the trigger and it started to pump and then shut down before dispensing any fuel. I realized that the grade of fuel had not been selected when the card was swiped. I also then realized that thankfully that had happened as I had the gasoline nozzle in the filler neck and that we were in a diesel car. Was a close one but no harm done thanks to dumb luck!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Check out www.mryellowcap.com for gas can parts. I have purchased used cans off ebay and fixed a few up. Will last me years.

I also have bought the VP Racing "liquid utility transfer jug" on ebay in a 4 pack much cheaper than at a bike shop or dealer. The VP cans are nice, they have gallon marks, a wide mouth, vent, and the spouts are included. Parts for the spout are NPT thread, which is found in any plumbing store. You can choose the color of can you want, I was paying $144 shipped for 4 VP cans shipped with spouts.

I saw VP cans at A buccee's truck stop, but they were much higher.

A farmer friend of mine found a clear off white "liquid utility transfer jug" at tractor supply or atwoods for $25 with spout, very similar to the VP jugs.

I purchase Sunoco race fuel supreme 112 at our local gas stations here in Oklahoma, for use in my (2) 125 bikes, the fuel comes in a metal 5 gallon pail with vent.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I forgot to mention another awesome fuel can is the Scepter MFC aka jerry can. They are expensive unless bought surplus, and the spout is proprietary, and $50 so probably only have one spout for many cans. They can be had in a few different colors, and have different gaskets for gas or diesel.

The MFC's are very trick, will float, have a built in vent in the handle, and are designed to be carried side by side.

They look cool, and are expensive because idiots like me collect military trucks and then have to have every little doodad that mounts on the truck. I prefer tan myself....

Scepter also makes a water can that looks similar, and there are many accessories for the water can on ebay.

The protocol around my house for sorting fuel is Scepter MFC's for diesel only, and everything else is gasoline. Then there is (1) orange KTM 5 gallon jug in the group, and that is premix Supreme rocket fuel...…...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts