Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have Oxygen all night every night so I had to get an electrical hook up for my Motor Coach. The 6 Deep Cycle Batteries i put in the Coach wouldn’t feed the Oxygen Concentrator machine all night. My rancher friend asked me to park at his place. To get 50 Amp Electricity to my Motor Coach I had to bury 265’ of No.4, Copper, 3 wire w/ground Cable. This is the contraption I welded up onto a single tooth Ripper. I buried 265' of the wire 12 inches deep in under 6-1/2 minutes. The wire weighed a half a pound a foot. I welded 2" Angle Iron to the back side of the Ripper bar then I clamped a 2" PVC pipe into the V of the Angle Iron and held it in place with 4 muffler clamps. I belled the 2” (Gray) PVC pipe by heating the end and pushing onto an upside down large Plastic Funnel. The Bell on the end facilitates feeding the line in. On the bottom of the straight part of the PVC pipe I put a 90 degree PVC pipe on. Worked like a charm. REALLY COOL. I'm driving my tractor. The owner of the ranch is feeding the wire into the PVC. Listen to the Ripper going thru the rocks on the preparation run. I don’t know how to post a video on GTT but below is the ural to get to it hope that works to get you there. If you want lay a Hose water line, smaller electrical line etc. this would also make it FAST and EASY. Enjoy the Video friends.

iCloud

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but NEC minimum code for wire that voltage in conduit is 18 inches of fill. So approximately 20 1/2 inches deep.

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd like to see some pictures made from different angles of your cable burying tool. There is a commercially made gizmo similar to what you describe, but if it's that easy to fabricate, I'd like to see yours.

Well Done!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is your wire rated for direct bury ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Jr John, What a great idea! Worked like a charm! American ingenuity at it's best! Thanks for sharing!! ??

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
That looked like 4 wire Romex... Not Direct burial. Too shallow.

I've seen that done before and looks like you put it together well. Be careful when installing electrical be sure to follow NEC and local codes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice job! Wish I had the soil type around me to bury cable like that. Around here you need a fairly large backhoe/excavator and possibly dynamite lol.

Ps have you looked into lithium battery packs? A few of the boats in my dad’s marina were running them for house batteries. Lighter, hold more charge, and can be charged faster than lead acid. Not sure if the price has come down enough to be reasonable tho. I know they were expensive a few years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2,601 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but NEC minimum code for wire that voltage in conduit is 18 inches of fill. So approximately 20 1/2 inches deep.
Actually it needs to be 24" deep to the top of the cable, as I didn't see it going into conduit, just into a trench. Wonder if it was listed for direct burial in the first place?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually it needs to be 24" deep to the top of the cable, as I didn't see it going into conduit, just into a trench. Wonder if it was listed for direct burial in the first place?
Yeah I miss read when he mentioned the pvc pipe

Reactions: Marlin and kylew

·
Registered
519 Posts
Awesome video!
I bought a sub-soiler on craigslist in the fall with just for this purpose in mind... burying wire.
Cept I'm only going 4" -6" or so, and its HD dog fence cable.
I'll take pics when I do this in the spring.
Didnt build the "buryer" part yet

The subsoiler frame wound up being the base for my ballast bracket / multi-function thingy...
The top part of the bracket will also wind up with a cable spool holder.

Last time I did this I used an old heavy duty cub cadet mower blade(at least 5/16 thick) with an extra wing welded to one end to make it a Y, a pin welded to the other end to go in the 3pt drawbar, and a piece of square stock attached between the center hole on the blade and the trailer hitch on the 318 to pull it through the dirt... used a piece of 3/8 steel brakeline tubing curved to push the wire in the hole..worked well.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Looks like the electrical police at work....see what you did and great ideal....my take on matter is since camper it was a temp arrangement with the rancher....suppose for a permanent structure one might want to have a bigger rig or take a backhoe and cut it down 2 ft. and use different wiring....not sure of any local inspections and or codes you need to consider in this...suppose you could have laid it on the ground....like the setup...I'm thinking of something similar for short runs....but now have the backhoe with trenching bucket....

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Electrical codes protect people from fire and shock hazard and make for long lasting, effective installations.

Having said that, I admire the resourcefulness and helpfulness of the rancher in accommodating his friend. The world needs more people like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,601 Posts
Looks like the electrical police at work....see what you did and great ideal....my take on matter is since camper it was a temp arrangement with the rancher....suppose for a permanent structure one might want to have a bigger rig or take a backhoe and cut it down 2 ft. and use different wiring....not sure of any local inspections and or codes you need to consider in this...suppose you could have laid it on the ground....like the setup...I'm thinking of something similar for short runs....but now have the backhoe with trenching bucket....
Electrical codes protect people from fire and shock hazard and make for long lasting, effective installations.

Having said that, I admire the resourcefulness and helpfulness of the rancher in accommodating his friend. The world needs more people like that.
I get what you gentlemen are saying, and I agree with the resourcefulness. I've seen that done before. Doesn't make it right, and far from safe. I can't even count how many times I've seen a "temporary installation" done inadequately and have been in use for years. I shake my head at it everytime I see one. It's always "Oh I know it's not right, but no one will ever be here and get hurt by it"..... until someone does. And it's the person who knew about it as many times as it's the person who is unaware of it. And it's the person who was unaware of it that I feel bad for.

I don't care if I'm referred to as the 'Code Police' or whatever. It's my daily job and I hate to see people do unsafe things, especially when it comes to electrical. Every day before I start work I tell myself, 'Remember to respect the electricity. You never see it coming'.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
The vast majority of safety codes and standards are rooted in gruesome accidents, and are intended to prevent recurrence. There are a few where someone could reasonably foresee a problem and they wanted to avoid the gruesome accident. Those who bear the personal burden of the injury or death are oftentimes someone who had absolutely no knowledge of or involvement in the decision to cut corners. It's always good to give some consideration to those who follow us, even if we don't know them.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
My point of the writer was that he was showing how the put a temporary service in, not whether or not him and landowner should have put in this way. He said he had temporary medical need. But I do agree that everything one does should be done safety....but I would dare say to anyone they need to wear their tractor seat belts....but I'm glad he got his oxygen going and understand everyone to their own opinions and we all share some like mined ideals as well as some that are not like minded.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had to have Oxygen all night every night so I had to get an electrical hook up for my Motor Coach. The 6 Deep Cycle Batteries i put in the Coach wouldn’t feed the Oxygen Concentrator machine all night. My rancher friend asked me to park at his place. To get 50 Amp Electricity to my Motor Coach I had to bury 265’ of No.4, Copper, 3 wire w/ground Cable. This is the contraption I welded up onto a single tooth Ripper. I buried 265' of the wire 12 inches deep in under 6-1/2 minutes. The wire weighed a half a pound a foot. I welded 2" Angle Iron to the back side of the Ripper bar then I clamped a 2" PVC pipe into the V of the Angle Iron and held it in place with 4 muffler clamps. I belled the 2” (Gray) PVC pipe by heating the end and pushing onto an upside down large Plastic Funnel. The Bell on the end facilitates feeding the line in. On the bottom of the straight part of the PVC pipe I put a 90 degree PVC pipe on. Worked like a charm. REALLY COOL. I'm driving my tractor. The owner of the ranch is feeding the wire into the PVC. Listen to the Ripper going thru the rocks on the preparation run. I don’t know how to post a video on GTT but below is the ural to get to it hope that works to get you there. If you want lay a Hose water line, smaller electrical line etc. this would also make it FAST and EASY. Enjoy the Video friends.

iCloud
Says there is a video, that will open in 3 hours.. almost missed the icloud button to even get that video on the way.. I may have to take a nap and hope to wake up in three hours.. LOL
What's with this new format? Is it supposed to be more friendly? If so, I don't see that part.
I'll look again for the URL..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts