Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
The Flo-Fast fuel filler......Couldn't help but laugh thinking that most of us who would use this to avoid holding up the heavy fuel jug just don't "flow" as fast as WE used to, but that thought of inserting that hose, that's quite the catheter....... and cranking the handle to speed up that flow.........No thanks. :laugh::lol:

Great idea for fuel transfer..........But I think I will just rely on the natural supplements to help keep "the other things flowing along"....:good2:

Plus my Urologist is one of my neighbors and I plow his driveway. Small world..................:good2::laugh:

30 Gallon Fuel Drum

Lot's of good ideas here but with most of them you're still left with lifting 5 gallon jugs on/off the back of the pickup or out of the trunk. So you've gained a little but you still have to lift 35 lbs or so. (6.943 lb/US gal x 5 gallons = 34.715 lbs + container)

I've considered a 30 gallon drum with a hand (or ac/dc) pump attached to a pallet that I take to the fuel station as required. (208.29 lbs + 26 lbs drum). Pallets forks on the :greentractorride: do the lifting.

https://www.amazon.com/SKOLNIK-Carbon-Steel-Tight-gallons/dp/B006P5RPOI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514213233&sr=8-4&keywords=30+gallon+drum

Just my thoughts . . . I believe Tim Marks has this setup. I'm curious how he likes it. Maybe there are others that move/store their fuel this way. :unknown:

Lot's of good ideas here but with most of them you're still left with lifting 5 gallon jugs on/off the back of the pickup or out of the trunk. So you've gained a little but you still have to lift 35 lbs or so. (6.943 lb/US gal x 5 gallons = 34.715 lbs + container)

I've considered a 30 gallon drum with a hand (or ac/dc) pump attached to a pallet that I take to the fuel station as required. (208.29 lbs + 26 lbs drum). Pallets forks on the do the lifting.
Just my thoughts . . . I believe Tim Marks has this setup. I'm curious how he likes it. Maybe there are others that move/store their fuel this way. :unknown:
That is true. But... not everyone has a vehicle capable of transporting a fuel drum, even a 30-gallon one. That is what attracted me to the Flow-Fast setup. The 7-gallon containers are nice and tall so you don't have to bend over at the pump to fill them like you do a standard 5 gallon container. Even though they CAN hold 7 gallons I usually only fill them with 5 gallons. With the nice big handles at the top of the can it is very easy to grab hold sit them inside the trunk or back of a small SUV.

I actually have two of the 7-gallon containers which I alternate. When the first one is just about empty I go fill the second one. When I finish off the first one I just unscrew the pump and transfer it to the second can. If the forecast is for an apocalyptic snowfall I may even fill both of them. If the pump should fail at an inopportune time I can still pour fuel using a funnel.

I had a couple folding carts around the house so I grabbed one to use to hold the can. I just secure it with a large velcro strap.

Obviously there are better solutions out there but for someone like me who doesn't use much fuel a year but still doesn't want to be lifting heavy containers up to hood level it has been working well. I don't mow with the tractor and I only put about 25 hrs per year on it.

I like that Tera pump with the nozzle. But with only having a 39.5 inch hose:unknown:, I doubt it's long enough to go from the jug being on the footboard, to the nozzle reaching the tank. Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to replace the factory hose with a longer one.

It's getting old, having to stand on the footboard holding that jug over the tank.:flag_of_truce: Jiggler wouldn't be any better, as the jug would most likely have to sit on the hood.
I was done lifting over the hood many years ago.

Also like Marlin said it was killing me getting the full jug in and out of the pickup.

I went with a 150 gallon farm tank with hand crank pump. I get it 1/2 filled every other year when I get my annual fuel oil delivery.

it has a very unpleasant taste i think.
Can confirm. Gas is gross. Oil is only slightly better, tastes like gas but with a slight grilled flavor. :painkiller:

Reactions: Marlin and fdmars
Filling station Building Fuel Gasoline Vehicle

I have commercial insurance. :good2:

I drive through the 'burbs, cut across a 35MPH road at a set of traffic lights, then drive right up to the pumps. I always get a few funny looks and double-takes. I lifted that heavy jug once in my life, never again! :mocking:

Cool. Was hoping for details on it.

Make? What kind of tip do you have to put in tank if at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s an old tank/pump combimation that was sold by Agway back in the day. They were quite common around here a long time ago.

The nozzle is just a simple one like this -

Pipe Metal Plumbing fitting Steel

Here is today’s version from Tractor Supply - pump, hose, and nozzle.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gpi-rp-10-ul-hand-pump?cm_vc=-10005

This tank was gifted to me many years ago. I just stuck it behind the barn thinking I might need it someday. Well that day came about 6 years ago when I couldn’t lift the 5 gallon jugs anymore. Before that time we heated with firewood so I had no easy way to fill the tank without paying a minimum delivery charge. Around the same time I couldn’t do firewood anymore either so we had a new oil fired furnace installed. So now I get an annual delivery for the oil furnace (1000 gallon tank) and have them 1/2 fill the tractor tank while they are here - comes off the same truck just charged differently as off-road fuel vs. heating fuel.

Beautiful. I am tired of lugging cans around so I have a super clean plastic 55 gallon I will store inside in the winter.

Do you ever have water issues? Do you store in the shade? Do you use off road or on road diesel?

Me

Beautiful. I am tired of lugging cans around so I have a super clean plastic 55 gallon I will store inside in the winter.

Do you ever have water issues? Do you store in the shade? Do you use off road or on road diesel?

I had some concern about moisture but haven’t had any problems. Especially due to the fact I am only 1/2 filling it every other year.

It is totally in the shade all year which is a huge plus. The past years I have treated it with Power Service grey bottle double dose for winter anti-gel plus a dose of their Clear-Diesel which is for storage tanks. I check the filter for water annually and have not found a drop. I also stick the tank annually with Gasoila water finding paste on the stick to also look for water in the bottom of the tank and also never find any.

In the 6 years or so using this tank I have never had a drop of water in my tractor’s water separator either.

I know it seems like a lot but it is just a couple quick checks for water once a year.

What I am buying is off-road diesel. It actually is pumped from the same truck that my home heating oil is delivered in. They just have to charge differently for it on a seperate ticket. Home heating fuel is not taxed but have to pay sales tax (6%) on the off-road fuel. The weird thing is however that the off-road fuel is about 6% cheaper than the home heating fuel so it comes out at the same price.

My wife’s car is a VW turbo diesel. If that car was driven more I would probably buy on-road diesel and use the tank for filling the car also. But as it is that car uses about 10-12 gallons a year right now. In my tractor I only put about 40 hours a year on it so 75 gallons in the tank lasts me 2 years.

That is true. But... not everyone has a vehicle capable of transporting a fuel drum, even a 30-gallon one. That is what attracted me to the Flow-Fast setup. The 7-gallon containers are nice and tall so you don't have to bend over at the pump to fill them like you do a standard 5 gallon container. Even though they CAN hold 7 gallons I usually only fill them with 5 gallons. With the nice big handles at the top of the can it is very easy to grab hold sit them inside the trunk or back of a small SUV.

I actually have two of the 7-gallon containers which I alternate. When the first one is just about empty I go fill the second one. When I finish off the first one I just unscrew the pump and transfer it to the second can. If the forecast is for an apocalyptic snowfall I may even fill both of them. If the pump should fail at an inopportune time I can still pour fuel using a funnel.

I had a couple folding carts around the house so I grabbed one to use to hold the can. I just secure it with a large velcro strap.

Obviously there are better solutions out there but for someone like me who doesn't use much fuel a year but still doesn't want to be lifting heavy containers up to hood level it has been working well. I don't mow with the tractor and I only put about 25 hrs per year on it.
That's a good point I didn't think of since I'll always have a pickup for critter management, etc.

If you can, go with a plastic drum. Even a new steel drum is going to get rusty and nasty inside in no time.
Another great point. I'd like to store the tank outside the shop, subject to sunshine and rain of course.

Can confirm. Gas is gross. Oil is only slightly better, tastes like gas but with a slight grilled flavor. :painkiller:
I've no desire to even come close to finding out, yuck, yuck! :thumbsdown: :painkiller: :danger:

Maybe I need to rethink the storage location . . . :unknown: Out of the weather and strapped to a pallet, advantages may out weigh the disadvantages.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. :bigthumb:

That's a good point I didn't think of since I'll always have a pickup for critter management, etc.

Another great point. I'd like to store the tank outside the shop, subject to sunshine and rain of course.

I've no desire to even come close to finding out, yuck, yuck! :thumbsdown: :painkiller: :danger:

Maybe I need to rethink the storage location . . . :unknown: Out of the weather and strapped to a pallet, advantages may out weigh the disadvantages.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. :bigthumb:
Marlin,

I suggest rethinking storing the fuel drum outside. The water wants to stand on the top of the drum, and it will find its way through the bung hole plugs and pump pipe somehow.

Tim

I'm late to this thread. Sorry. Too much Christmas partying here, I guess.

I have a write-up and two videos about my solution here: TTWT Fuel Storage.

Links to all of the hardware I used are included on those pages.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, it requires a pickup truck, and it requires forks. If you have those two items, this is a very handy and effective storage approach.

If you don't have a pickup truck, get one! :laugh: Seriously, the Honda Ridgeline rides and drives like a car. VERY luxurious. Excellent choice for those who don't really need a truck, but could use one occasionally. ...and ALL trucks have better resale value than cars. LOTS of folks are looking for a 'good used truck'.

Tim

Marlin,

I suggest rethinking storing the fuel drum outside. The water wants to stand on the top of the drum, and it will find its way through the bung hole plugs and pump pipe somehow.

Tim
Tractor Tim ~ Yep, you got me there Tim. In reading here and thinking more about it I had already decided that storage outside wouldn't be a good idea. So on a pallet in the shop will be best.

Reactions: Tractor Tim
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.