Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of y'all know, I was fortunate enough to be the lucky winner of July's Green Tractor Talk Giveaway. I got a $100.00 gift certificate, good towards any Stihl product at my local dealer. :thumbup1gif: I received the prize a couple of days after finding out I won, it's just taken me a little bit to decide how to best use it.

I'll spare you the description of my decision making process. Suffice to say, it was long and doesn't make a good story. :laugh: Stihl really has an awful lot of great products to choose from.

It's a set of noise canceling earmuffs with a built in AM/FM radio, and a connection for an MP3 player. :thumbup1gif: I will shamefully admit that I have operated power equipment for too many years with no form of ear protection. It's not a smart thing to do, and I finally took a half- step in the right direction a few months ago. During a clearing project in some nasty brush, I started wearing an old, basic set of shooting muffs. Not noise canceling, not electronic, just some foam muffs. They were better than nothing (I think), but hardly suitable. They cut out the highest pitch ringing, but that was about it.

I haven't tried the new Stihl earpro out with my power equipment yet, but I did take a cruise around some fenceline with them on in the Gator this afternoon.

They cut down on the engine noise very noticeably. My Gator is louder than most with the hard cab, even without the doors on. While I could hear the engine in the driver's seat, it was much quieter than usual. The radio in the earmuffs was easily heard over it without being turned up very loud. When I stepped a few steps away from the running Gator, I couldn't hear it at all. :good2:

The radio reception seems fair so far, I believe my results were hampered by the steel top on the machine. I was listening to 650 AM, and it picked up fairly well. It did drop out a couple of times, but I attribute that to the top on the Gator and driving down into the holler. I haven't tried them on FM yet, because the only FM stations I think are worth listening to are too weak to be heard at my house. :thumbsdown: I'll try the FM setting when I cut the grass, in the interest of science. :lol: So far, I'm very happy with them.

Thanks again to GTT, and Stihl. I promise a more in depth performance review when I start on my yard in the next few days. :munch:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Interesting choice! I'm in the same boat as you, almost never wear hearing protection. Brush hogged for close to an hour an a half this afternoon and after running that long I hear the 'purr' of the 5410 for about as long after as I was using it. I've been looking casually at them for a while, but always felt they were built cheap, or too expensive (go figure:laugh: I got to pick one or the other!) Haven't had a Stihl let me down yet, but you'll have to share how you like them. May make a good Christmas present to myself :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Hearing protection...:good2:
I started wearing ear plugs about 8 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Good thread and good review on your Stihl product.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Congratulations on winning the contest. You also give good advice to the guys who have not been around equipment a lot. I have been around equipment nearly all my life and never wore hearing protection, except for shooting. I now have a set of headphones with an AM/FM radio that works very well.

I also have a constant ringing in my ears from not using protection. Use ear plugs, muffs or some type of hearing protection. You will appreciate it later in life.

Don

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
I also have a constant ringing in my ears from not using protection. Use ear plugs, muffs or some type of hearing protection. You will appreciate it later in life.

Don
Good advice Don. I too have been suffering from Tinnitus for about a year or so now, but I've been to stubborn to go to a doctor. I always have a radio playing, it seems to help "quiet" it down some for me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
Yep, My wife has hearing loss, it only cost us $4,500 every three to four years for hearing aids.
A set of ear plugs $2.89 X 3 pair a year is $8.67 X three years is $26.01 plus tax. Pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
My wife has severe hearing loss as well. She has worked at Carrier for 20 years. Being in an industrial setting, with huge presses and the like has escalated it over the years. The hearing loss is so bad, that she doesnt realize her voice doesnt carry very well either. Try holding your hands over your ears and then talk...you'll see what I mean. To her, she thinks she is talking loudly ...but she aint. You should listen in on our conversations....we repeat EVERYTHING, constantly.:flag_of_truce:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
My wife has severe hearing loss as well. She has worked at Carrier for 20 years. Being in an industrial setting, with huge presses and the like has escalated it over the years. The hearing loss is so bad, that she doesnt realize her voice doesnt carry very well either. Try holding your hands over your ears and then talk...you'll see what I mean. To her, she thinks she is talking loudly ...but she aint. You should listen in on our conversations....we repeat EVERYTHING, constantly.:flag_of_truce:
Same here and let's not forget closed captioning TV. And if my wife does not have in her hearing aids the TV has to be so loud I can go out side and listen. I'm not complaining, just stating the facts.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've been thinking I really need to get hearing protection for awhile now. The wife and kids say I yell loudly :shhh: after being out with the tractor for long periods of time. After reading this thread I'm finally going to do something about it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts
The old saying, "It's never too late" does not work in this circumstance either.

Reactions: lreagan12

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"I will shamefully admit that I have operated power equipment for too many years with no form of ear protection."
Congrats on the prize win and yeah, now you'll be blastin' ZZ Top an' AC/DC an Ozzy full volume off yer E-I-O-Pod! My kinda noise pollution!:laugh: Chalk up another tinnitus, constant crickets and kadydids, swarm of bees hearing guy here too! Too many long ago rock drills, gun shooting, big engines, etc. before I "heard the light". I just got a set of 28db muffs from Gemplers to replace a cheap-o set I wore out when I'm not wearing my Stihl hardhat/phones. I'm never without hearing protection now, from a connected set of plugs to headphone type, I just love not having to say "Huh... whatzat?" for hours after doing the lawn or sawing, etc.

ARE YOU YOUNG "TOUGH GUYS" HEARING THIS POST? :laugh:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Congrats on the prize win and yeah, now you'll be blastin' ZZ Top an' AC/DC an Ozzy full volume off yer E-I-O-Pod! My kinda noise pollution!:laugh: Chalk up another tinnitus, constant crickets and kadydids, swarm of bees hearing guy here too! Too many long ago rock drills, gun shooting, big engines, etc. before I "heard the light". I just got a set of 28db muffs from Gemplers to replace a cheap-o set I wore out when I'm not wearing my Stihl hardhat/phones. I'm never without hearing protection now, from a connected set of plugs to headphone type, I just love not having to say "Huh... whatzat?" for hours after doing the lawn or sawing, etc.

I HEAR YOU NOW! :lol::lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,776 Posts

Not another old guy!! That's ok cause us old guys out rank the young ones. (I hope):lol:
I've seen everything but the wind and been everywhere but the electric chair.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Not another old guy!! That's ok cause us old guys out rank the young ones. (I hope):lol:
...an' I'm 10 days older than water!:laugh:

If I could accomplish one thing in my posting and relationships with youngers, it's to protect your eyes and hearing!!!! If I could save one person from tinnitus... I'd feel I'd done something! "Ah, a couple
.357's downrange won't bother me!" Well, it WILL bother you over the course of a few years because there's so much other noise out there we don't even recognize as dangerous to hearing. And when you get used to wearing hearing protection, even up around 26+db's, you can still hear things you need to hear in the machinery you are running. The sound of the exhaust isn't everything (well, maybe with a motorcycle...), you can still pick out rattles and other diagnostic sounds with the H/P's on.

"Well, I won't hear someone yelling, 'Look out!'." Go without protection for long enough and you won't hear them yelling anything including, "Quittin' time!" And it takes far less time than you think for it to be too late.

End of sermon.:laugh:

Reactions: andy b. and Kennyd

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Hydro:

Where were you 45 years ago? I wish someone would have told me this when I was young. Of course, then I knew everything there was to know and probably wouldn't have listened anyway. You give good advice to people who still have good hearing.

Don

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lord, I'm much too young to feel this damn old...:lol:

Hydro:

Where were you 45 years ago? I wish someone would have told me this when I was young. Of course, then I knew everything there was to know and probably wouldn't have listened anyway. You give good advice to people who still have good hearing.

Don
This. I seem to recall people telling me to wear eye and ear protection, gloves, chainsaw chaps, seatbelts, helmets, don't lift that by yourself, etc. Took a while for me to actually catch on, but fortunately I got the message. Here's hoping that some young folks will get the message while they're still in good enough shape for it to make a difference. Waking up with aching muscles, joints, and ringing ears is no fun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Amen--

Not to say your preaching, But I'm only 44, Can't hear with water running in the sink or if I'm not in the same room with you. A back that is just the pits, and arms I can't raise over my head, Walk with a limp. I used to be pretty tough but now just beat up.

I now wear ear plugs (nothing to listen too when mowing anyway) and have to get help lifting most anything.

So any of you that aint broke down and busted up yet. Protect your self, know one else will.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Not to say your preaching, But I'm only 44, Can't hear with water running in the sink or if I'm not in the same room with you. A back that is just the pits, and arms I can't raise over my head, Walk with a limp. I used to be pretty tough but now just beat up.

I now wear ear plugs (nothing to listen too when mowing anyway) and have to get help lifting most anything.

So any of you that aint broke down and busted up yet. Protect your self, know one else will.
Good advice, yardmower. I am the Safety Director for a small concrete company and I spend every day reminding young men (25 - 35) to wear safety glasses and ear plugs. One retort that I get is that they look goofy. I tell them that an eye patch or glass eye looks worse.

I hope the young guys that are on this forum, take to heart what everyone has said.

Eyes and ears are easy to protect; all one needs to do is wear the protection.

Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts