Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to run it till it heats up and move the hydro oils around a bit one a week, month, twice a year?
Rain has kept me off for two weeks at a time and I'm sure within a year or 2 after I straighten my 4 acres of land i won't be getting on near as much.
So was just curious how long it can sit without problems. And is starting it till it heats up enough? Or do I need to plan on running it around the driveways while it heats up?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I used to have a Mustang GT. Used to start it once a month. Definately no clatter in engine. Once a month is good for battery too. 2 weeks is nothing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do I need to run it till it heats up and move the hydro oils around a bit one a week, month, twice a year?
Rain has kept me off for two weeks at a time and I'm sure within a year or 2 after I straighten my 4 acres of land i won't be getting on near as much.
So was just curious how long it can sit without problems. And is starting it till it heats up enough? Or do I need to plan on running it around the driveways while it heats up?
I would say not to let it sit more than 5 years. You'll need to pull the battery and get the tires off the ground and partially deflate as well for storage that long. My 1023e sat for 6-7 months and started/ran with 0 problems a on two occasions, no storage prep.

·
Registered
22,725 Posts
While not specific to SCUT's - I will go for longer times like that in spring and fall between mowing and plowing season. I try to run it once a month - warm up and drive around flexing the loader and 3 -point hitch. If for nothing else just to get the fluids flowing through the system and keep any seals from drying out.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I store my tractors in an enclosed building. In the past, I have had tractors set for 2 or 3 months with out being started. I start them when I need them.
I know some grain farmers that their tractors will set for 5 or 6 months between startups.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Using a battery tender never hurts. Treet the fuel with some kind of additive.
Don't just start it for a few minutes. If you start it be sure to warm it up good. Best way is actually using it.

Rodents are another problem to watch out for. They will destroy it quicker than anything.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Using a battery tender near hurts. Treet the fuel with some kind of additive.
Don't just start it for a few minutes. If you start it be sure to warm it up good. Best way is actually using it.

Rodents are another problem to watch out for. They will destroy it quicker than anything.
I do leave mine on the trickle charger all winter since we do not have enough snowfall to justify snow plowing.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. I won't have any problem at all running it once a month. I was just curious. If there was a time to run it to make it last the longest/years

·
Registered
22,725 Posts
I do leave mine on the trickle charger all winter since we do not have enough snowfall to justify snow plowing.
A trickle charger will kill a battery if left on for extended periods of time. There is a difference between a trickle charger and a battery tender.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
If mine sits for a month or two I get ansy and have to drive it just to drive it and get my fix. :dunno: :laugh:

At the same time I put 200 hours on my tractor per year. If I don't have something for it to do I'll find something for it to do. :hide:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,273 Posts
I know a guy in the Galvez area. He'll be able to keep it running for you.
Just saying.
:dunno:
:lol: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Besides operating, I start and take mine for a slow ride at least once a week.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know a guy in the Galvez area. He'll be able to keep it running for you.
Just saying.
:dunno:
:lol: :laugh:
Ha. Bet you do. Lol

Finally cut grass today after 3 weeks. I kept finding more and more to do with my tractor to keep it busy for a while. Lots of things I've never thought about before having a tractor. I figured it was a way of life before lol

·
Registered
778 Posts
Keeps your battery from sulfating. Plus you never know when you need it to crank....700pm Sat in January, 24degrees with broken water well line 3 feet deep! :good2:

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
If mine sits for a month or two I get ansy and have to drive it just to drive it and get my fix. :dunno: :laugh:

At the same time I put 200 hours on my tractor per year. If I don't have something for it to do I'll find something for it to do. :hide:
What Levi said ^^^^^^^ , no time like seat time !!!!
And to reiterate , I use a Battery Tender for extended periods , I hard wired a plug to mine that is easily accessible from the front of the tractor . :cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts