Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought diesel fuel 8 months ago (from local Fleet/Farm), dumped most of it (4 gal?) in the 1026r, still have 2 gal left in my yellow container.......is it still ok to use?

Thanks guys,

Chris

·
Registered
714 Posts
Diesel fuel lasts a long long time. 8 months is probably 1/10th of its life. Use it.

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
So many variables that change that number. What is stored in a temperature stable environment? Cool or warm? Additives used? Exposed to sunlight? Clean container? Clean fuel from station? There's just no way to give you a solid x amount of days that your fuel will last.

Generally speaking diesel will last a long time, usually well over a year. As long as it looks clean, clear, and doesn't have any "floaties", "chunkies", or water in it, you should be just fine. If it doesn't look good in any of these manners, I wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I found off road diesel, I asked the guy how long it would last. He told me 6 months. I thought it lasted a lot longer than that. I know that our generators at work don't fully cycle their 600 gallon tanks every 6 months. So, I'm confused.
Regular gas will last 6 mos. and longer. Diesel sitting in a plastic jug in your garage can last 10 years. The guy you asked is misinformed.

·
Premium Member
3,712 Posts
I've used some offroad diesel that was stored in a plastic gas container for over a year without any problems. I did as check for floaties etc as Jason suggested before pouring it in the tank.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
740 Posts
I can't say how long it's good for when stored in a container that light can get through. I can say first hand that we have started an old Kenworth semi that had not been started or basically even touched in over 10 years and drove home over 200 miles with the fuel that had been left in the tanks. When we bought our old D6, the tank was full of fuel (48gallons) that had been in the tractor for well over 10 years, ZERO problems. I think that the secret is to have the fuel in a metal container and full if possible, so that there is not a moisture problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.