Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question essentially is loudness difference between a Kawasaki 22hp EFI, and a Yanmar 24hp Diesel? Seems like the Yanmar is much louder than the Kawasaki. Yes, this is my first diesel, so all is new to me. I have tried to watch YouTube videos, but still can’t get a good answer to my question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Not really an answer to your question but my take would be that it will not matter much it at all once you engage the deck to mow-that’s where the majority of your noise will come from-doubt you’d hear either engine over it while mowing-especially if you ( and you really should be) wearing ear protection.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really an answer to your question but my take would be that it will not matter much it at all once you engage the deck to mow-that’s where the majority of your noise will come from-doubt you’d hear either engine over it while mowing-especially if you ( and you really should be) wearing ear protection.
To me the Yanmar seems louder. I will try to post a video.

·
Premium Member
10,926 Posts
A lot will depend on the type of muffler and the condition of the muffler. When run at WOT both will be very similar although the Yanmar diesel makes more of a loud hum. It's a good idea to wear a pair of ear muffs when running either for prolonged periods.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I measured mine with a phone decibel meter app and it's about 2-3 dbs louder, which is significant (1025R vs X590).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I measured mine with a phone decibel meter app and it's about 2-3 dbs louder, which is significant (1025R vs X590).
That’s a good idea. I will download a decibel meter app now, and post the results. I will test at idle, full throttle, and full throttle with deck engaged.

·
44 Posts
Its definitely louder at idle. I have an x738 and will be trading it in on an x758 and the noise level is very noticeable. Maybe until full throttle it is not noticeable however.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its definitely louder at idle. I have an x738 and will be trading it in on an x758 and the noise level is very noticeable. Maybe until full throttle it is not noticeable however.

1 minute average Kawasaki 22hp EFI without deck engaged. This was taken from the seat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

1 minute average Kawasaki 22hp EFI without deck engaged. This was taken from the seat.

Correction. The higher decibel was with the deck engaged. 101db with, 98 without. Full throttle Kawasaki 22hp EFI on John Deere 445 60” deck.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

Correction. The higher decibel was with the deck engaged. 101db with, 98 without. Full throttle Kawasaki 22hp EFI on John Deere 445 60” deck.

A man's diesel is supposed to be loud. No matter what decible, will always choose diesel. Neighbor has kowasaki, and takes 5 gal to cut his lawn. I can do mine 3 times same fuel amount.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A man's diesel is supposed to be loud. No matter what decible, will always choose diesel. Neighbor has kowasaki, and takes 5 gal to cut his lawn. I can do mine 3 times same fuel amount.

I know it suppose to be louder, and I’m really liking the diesel thus far, just have a lot of questions, exciting to learn about new things. I agree. My 445 is thirsty!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I know it suppose to be louder, and I’m really liking the diesel thus far, just have a lot of questions, exciting to learn about new things. I agree. My 445 is thirsty!!!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
When I was shopping for my tractor I was undecided upon the X738 and the X758. I had a dealer let me take the x758 for a spin and it was great. I knew from the start it was a little loud but I don't mind throwing earplugs in, at the end of the day it's a diesel :)

He then brought the X738 out from the shop and before he could get it on the front lawn to demo I had already made my mind up. The Kawi to me sounded louder only due to it having a high pitch tone. The yanmar is deeper, but the Kawi is more piercing to hear. Think 2 stroke dirt bike vs 4 stroke.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts