Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a brand new 2032R back in November. Plowed with it all winter and decided I need to add some weight. I’m getting wheel weights and next will be to fill the ballast box. I’ve been reading on here I need a minimum of 506lbs of ballast. So my question is how many bags of porter mix you guys have gotten into that box. It looks like it’ll fill up fast once I put some pvc in there for tools and chains. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance and of course I’ll be posting some pics

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,793 Posts
Hey, 660.

Welcome to GTT. :thumbup1gif:

Sorry, I have no answer to your question. :unknown:

·
Super Moderator
8,192 Posts
If you're referring to "Portland Cement" you'll need ~8-9 50# or ~5 94# bags depending upon whether you add the PVC pipe sleeves.

Some folks use sand, pea gravel, concrete or cement. Others use solid, precast, cement pavers. :hi:

Here's some reading material with opinions and more information:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/1999-how-many-bags-portland-cement-needed-jd-ballast-box.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/large-frame-compact-utility-tractors-lcut/20329-jd-bw15073-portland-cement.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/15544-hot-ballast-box.html

Ballast Portland Cement for Ballast Box

·
Administrator
18,501 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. Still trying to get used to the format of forums. This is the first one I’ve been on in a long time. Love all the info on GTT. Gives me a ton of ideas for the new 2032

·
Registered
226 Posts
Love the handle - that's a big saw! :wgtt:

I think I may have accidentally created a PM instead of posting like I intended from my phone...my apologies. Little icons, bad eyesight and ignorance are not a good combo. I'll be lucky if anything I typed is spelled right...:hide:

My thoughts were, as expressed in a post that didn't show up here were to watch the water content of the mix or regardless of the potential capacity of the box, you will fall well short and the water doesn't add much mass, just volume to the mix. I have an extension on my box and should be able to fit 9 bags in the box/extension (5 + 4) but fell short due to a few wet loads early on (I think 7 bags, it's been a while..)

Mix the cement as dry as you can while still getting it wet. No soup. Strength is not so much an issue, mass is.

Good luck!
Matt

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I used 10 50lb bags. I used three pvc tubes and capped the bottom of the tubes. The most important thing is seal the seams of the box with silicone. I went over mine inside the box several times and let it dry before I filled it. If you don't the moisture will leak thru and stain the outside. I have a buddy that happened to and he's repainted it several times still not happy.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,035 Posts
Just picked up a brand new 2032R back in November. Plowed with it all winter and decided I need to add some weight. I’m getting wheel weights and next will be to fill the ballast box. I’ve been reading on here I need a minimum of 506lbs of ballast.
While GTT is an excellent source of information from experienced owners, I would encourage you to consult your 220R owner's manual for the proper recommended minimum 3PH ballast.

2036R (EU), 2038R, and 2032R (MY17 and After) Tractors
Minimum Rear Ballast

368 kg (811 lb) rear hitch ballast

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jgayman thanks for that. I just looked a the manual and I was way under. I’ll have to beef it up a little. Looking now to use some scrap metal I have kicking around and finish it off with sand or runner crush so I have some material to use if I need extra traction in the winter. Will definitely post pics when the project is complete

·
Registered
92 Posts
jgayman thanks for that. I just looked a the manual and I was way under. I’ll have to beef it up a little. Looking now to use some scrap metal I have kicking around and finish it off with sand or runner crush so I have some material to use if I need extra traction in the winter. Will definitely post pics when the project is complete
99E0C1BD-A920-4B4A-A572-FA195691FD03.jpg . Mine is filled with crush and run. 3 inch for chain storage. 2 in for and tools rake shovel etc. plywood cover. 5BFBD21C-170E-463B-8A24-37A58C37779F.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Just picked up a brand new 2032R back in November. Plowed with it all winter and decided I need to add some weight. I’m getting wheel weights and next will be to fill the ballast box. I’ve been reading on here I need a minimum of 506lbs of ballast. So my question is how many bags of porter mix you guys have gotten into that box. It looks like it’ll fill up fast once I put some pvc in there for tools and chains. Any help will be very appreciated.
After MANY years of plowing snow with a front blade I will tell you too much weight on the the rear will make steering a real PITA.
I use small stone in the ballast box so I can remove some of it for snow plowing. Just Sayin!

Reactions: ky_shawn and PJR832

·
Registered
253 Posts
Concrete

Welcome to GTT!

I used 6 80# bags of concrete and have room for 2 more. I haven't needed it and I do a lot of loader work.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts

Thanks in advance and of course I’ll be posting some pics
Concrete! My forte. 1st rule is, cement is not concrete. Cement is the powder or binder which when mixed with aggregates makes concrete.

The ballast box is 4.94cuft. What you need to do is find a material with a high specific gravity which equates to a high density or lbs per cuft.

Here is a list of different materials weight per cuft. I checked your geology in Oswego and it is mostly limestone ~170lbs/cuft

Attachments

Reactions: ky_shawn and Jeff B

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not what you asked unfortunately, but while there is time: Another vote for clean packable gravel or crusher run. It is nice to be able to lighten the load in back sometimes and plenty heavy when full. It doesn't spill on even the steepest slopes. Plus if you decide to change your configuration later (pipes, saw holders), then you can.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 14 of 14 Posts