Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you had issue with them yet? Will the old style metal ones fit in it's place? Not happy, as mine seems to be wiggly and not with the rotation of the shaft.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is plastic also, and have been thinking about finding a metal replacement just in case. I can't imagine that the plastic will hold up well in the long term.

·
Premium Member
4,533 Posts
Have you had issue with them yet? Will the old style metal ones fit in it's place? Not happy, as mine seems to be wiggly and not with the rotation of the shaft.
I have the same issue. Mine wobbles and also has a sound like rocks in the unit. Check out Superglidesport thread. He changed his out to steel and has a great page or two on that removal with pictures and also a part number for the new steel fan.. It's a great thread.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have the plastic one. It works good enough for me. I'd only get the metal one if the plastic one would brake..........which I don't see happening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 54" blower that I have used for the past three years. I live in New Hampshire and we get snow. I have not had any problems with the plastic impeller on my machine. There is some play in the impeller. But it had the same amount of play when I bought it new. I keep the chain adjusted and oiled properly. It's a great machine.
Ralph F

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I think JD may have improved the composition of the plastic impeller soon after introducing it. Initially there were some reports of fans disintegrating and hubs stripping out. My 47 worked well but also had some rotational play in in the impeller. I decided to change it out rather than chancing a possible breakdown.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My new 54" has the plastic impeller. I discussed at length with the dealer when i bought it about not being a fan of the plastic (pun intended).
I was assured of no problems and even got him to hand write on my sales slip that if it failed in the first 5 years that he would cover it under warranty to replace it with a metal one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yup, another 54 with a plastic impeller. Not a single problem. Plastic bad is all hype I say. :mocking:

Reactions: sterling40man

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
Yup, another 54 with a plastic impeller. Not a single problem. Plastic bad is all hype I say. :mocking:
From a durability perspective you are probably right. But from a performance perspective the metal impeller is better.

I ran my 54-inch with the plastic impeller for two seasons and then switched to the metal one. It throws snow better with the metal impeller. This all started because I noticed my 15-year old MTD 33" walk-behind blower would throw snow farther than the JD 54-inch blower.

Just looking at the two impellers you can see a difference. The plastic one uses completed flat blades. The metal one has blades with little edges on them that forms more of a scoop - similar to what you see on the impeller used on larger rear PTO blowers.

There have been quite a few folks who have swapped impellers and reported improved performance. Regardless, there are a lot of owners who still have the plastic impeller and are happy with the results.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
967 Posts
For the most part I think you are right. Although, in the middle of a blizzard, I wouldn't want to rely on it. That seems to be a mental block of understanding about a plastic part of which we have all encountered over our lifetime with different products or applications. Metal is repairable where as plastic(?), Hunt for a replacement and at the most inconvenient time is the norm or so it seems. Metal or Plastic.... my long term $ is on Metal. I switched and have found them to be both quite equal in performance on the ejection amounts of "Stuff". I will give credit to the plastic to holding up so far but, I have found it to quickly loose RPM's on the tac when loaded Where as, the metal will sustain the RPM's a little longer.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I've only used my 47SB a couple of times since changing the fan from the plastic version to the original steel impeller. The blades are indeed flat on the plastic fan. The metal blades are cupped. In my limited experience since making the conversion I can say that the steel fan seems to throw the snow further but more importantly, clears the auger housing better and faster, especially when dealing with heavy wet snow and slush. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess the next question would be is how did they change the drivetrain in the blower? Was it lightened or bearing size reduced? There is more mass rotating on the shaft. Same forces or somewhat less with the performancr decrease going plastic, but similar.
I have a tendency to agree about the performance. In sloppy snow this clogs much quicker than my old blower did even all rusted up. Found a place for them for $225. Plus shipping. Better than all other prices I have come across. And is an OEM part.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My 54" blower has the plastic impeller. So far it hasn't been an issue.

I also have an Ariens 13/36 pro walk-behind blower. It does throw snow noticeably farther than the JD 54" blower. However, overall the 1026 / 54" works much better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I personally feel there is tool large of a gap between the blade tip of the impeller and the housing. I believe it would throw snow better with tighter tolerances in that regards.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I personally feel there is tool large of a gap between the blade tip of the impeller and the housing. I believe it would throw snow better with tighter tolerances in that regards.
Harking back to discussions of walking blower owners, adding "rubber flap kits" to blowers (1 and 2 stage) is the only way to significantly improve a snow blower. I don't see how one would attach them to a plastic impeller.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Harking back to discussions of walking blower owners, adding "rubber flap kits" to blowers (1 and 2 stage) is the only way to significantly improve a snow blower. I don't see how one would attach them to a plastic impeller.
Just thinking out loud Harold but what about bolting some horse stall mat to the ends?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed.

In so far as the impeller, let me find out more once the supplier gets back to me,

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Just thinking out loud Harold but what about bolting some horse stall mat to the ends?
I have seen vast improvement in a single stage 42" like mine using "flaps". However, choosing the material for these "durability" (Life with Friction) is a big consideration, not sure how stall mat material stacks up to abrasion in a blower.

Some of Artillian's "wing" material would be my choice I think after putting them on my plow. Somebody out there used to make complete "kits" w/bolts and all for walking blowers. I didn't Google it so that others could.:laugh:

EDIT:
I just can't stay away from a good Google: http://snowblowerimpellerkit.com/
For potential fabricators, notice the "backing plates" (instead of just washers) to hold the flaps on. This is the way my buddy did his single stage. It was fun listening to it "wear in" when we first started it up! Several neighbors appeared within 30 seconds!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts