Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 1023e that has 65hrs on it. I have been reading about the 200hr engine oil and hydro oil changes on this forum and I'm totally confused about when I want to do it. All different answers so I'm curious how many have gone by the manual and waited to hit the 200 hrs before servicing? Has anyone encountered any issues waiting? I know that suction screen on some tractors has had gasket material and some other debris on it so I feel it's doing it's job. The manual doesn't say anything about an annual service for oil and hydro either. Is moisture in fluids a concern if it takes a couple of years to hit 200 hr mark? I mow in the summer and snow blow in the winter. I'll probably be even more confused after this.LOL:usa

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
That is very odd. I have never seen an owner’s manual for a SCUT/CUT that did not specify an annual engine oil/filter change IF less than 200 hrs per year.

The manuals have never specified an annual hydraulic fluid change. There is sometimes an initial 50 hr fluid/screen/filter change and then it is usually simply hours-based after that.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
651 Posts
The annual engine oil and filter change requirement disappeared for a while then showed back up in manuals printed in 2019. It is not in my manual. Make of that as you will, but I changed my engine oil at 65 hours and it was very black.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
1lV1023EKHJ109242
Thanks. Yours is a "HJ" serial, which should be this on-line manual. As some have commented, JD has been a little inconsistent with some of their manuals. Things tend to disappear and then reappear. Obviously, since I don't own multiple machines my manual access is limited to the on-line versions which can change and be updated without notice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
The annual engine oil and filter change requirement disappeared for a while then showed back up in manuals printed in 2019. It is not in my manual. Make of that as you will, but I changed my engine oil at 65 hours and it was very black.
Diesel engines seem to blacken the oil right away. I don't mow with my tractor and most of its use is during the winter so the hours are very low. By low I mean it is now going on 7 years old and only has 150 hrs. But I still do an engine oil/filter change annually. What I find odd on my 2720 is the oil will be so clear on the dip stick that it is hard to see the level. This usually has me thinking that doing an oil change is a waste of oil. BUT... when I drain it, it comes out dark.

Weird.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Diesel engines seem to blacken the oil right away. I don't mow with my tractor and most of its use is during the winter so the hours are very low. By low I mean it is now going on 7 years old and only has 150 hrs. But I still do an engine oil/filter change annually. What I find odd on my 2720 is the oil will be so clear on the dip stick that it is hard to see the level. This usually has me thinking that doing an oil change is a waste of oil. BUT... when I drain it, it comes out dark.

Weird.
Same experience here with my annual oil changes with 40-50 hours.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That is very odd. I have never seen an owner’s manual for a SCUT/CUT that did not specify an annual engine oil/filter change IF less than 200 hrs per year.

The manuals have never specified an annual hydraulic fluid change. There is sometimes an initial 50 hr fluid/screen/filter change and then it is usually simply hours-based after that.
As was discussed earlier in another thread, the SCUT manual that came with my 2019 1023E, Issue J8, doesn't call for an annual oil/filter change. Apparently John Deere re-thought the recommendation (or caught a typo) and the same manual later in the model/year does call for annual oil change. Otherwise 200 hours for oil change, 200 hours for transmission. I'm at 67 hours on my tractor, will change the oil/filter sometime this fall mainly because I want a lower-viscosity synthetic in there for winter operation. Generally, annual oil change is recommended so that acidic combustion products don't sit around in the crankcase over periods of inactivity. I change the oil filter in my boats at the end of the season for that reason. Truthfully, I doubt that it makes any practical difference, likewise annual oil changes in my tractor. OTOH, more frequent oil changes, while probably unnecessary, are not harmful.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
OTOH, more frequent oil changes, while probably unnecessary, are not harmful.
I’m sure you are right, but I was once advised by an old engineer I used to work with (I’m a mechanical engineer myself) that oil completes its refinement in the engine and frequently changing it builds wax deposits in the engine. He recommended against the practice. He cut his teeth as a B-17 mechanic during the war, so I’m sure the advice is outdated, but I thought it was interesting anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Attached is the online manual for a 1023E/1025R. Notice the copyright of 2019.

It calls for a 200 hour and/or annual oil and filter change.

My tractor is a 2018, so is this applicable to mine? Personally I don't care, because mine gets dirty enough with the hours I put it, so I change it annually anyways.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! :gizmo:

OMLVU31626

·
Registered
944 Posts
I’m sure you are right, but I was once advised by an old engineer I used to work with (I’m a mechanical engineer myself) that oil completes its refinement in the engine and frequently changing it builds wax deposits in the engine. He recommended against the practice. He cut his teeth as a B-17 mechanic during the war, so I’m sure the advice is outdated, but I thought it was interesting anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lubricating oils are the subject of more self-propagating myths and wives' tales than any segment of the manufacturing industry that I can think of. Those "old engineers" sure do get around.

Even if one believed that paraffin management in crude oils was still an issue given today's modern refining techniques (it isn't), one could always use synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts

My tractor is a 2018, so is this applicable to mine? Personally I don't care, because mine gets dirty enough with the hours I put it, so I change it annually anyways.
It's been said before but it is worth repeating. JD and most other tractor manufacturers do not recognize model year of the tractor the same way the automobile industry does. They go by serial number range. Sometime a new year just happens to have a new serial number range, sometimes not.

If you look at the operator's manual versions listed below you see that at times they tried to list model years along with the S/N but then with the next version they are back to only listing the serial number. For some reason the 1-series manuals seem to be more inconsistent compared to other models.

Serial number trumps model year. It is what is important when ordering parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Take a baby aspirin a day and you likely will never feel the effect nor will it seem any different than the person who doesn't take a baby aspirin a day. And then one day, the person who doesn't take the baby aspirin has a stroke, a heart attack or a pulmonary edema. Studies have found being proactive on such matters certainly don't hurt anything and in fact, could be beneficial.

So, I change my tractor engine oil every 100 hours and my hydro fluid every 200 hours, after the first change at 50 hours, then 200 hours and then every 200 from now on. Same with my zero turn.

Run premium fluids, use high quality filters. Can it hurt anything? No. Is it likely to help? Compared to the guys who don't change them on time, almost certainly.

You go to look at two machines which are for sale, Tractors are same make, same model, same years, even similar hours. Asking price is the same. These are owned by owner A and owner B.

Owner A - Is a GTT member and he changes the oil in his tractor every 100 hours engine, every 200 hydro. His machine use is such that he is changing the oil twice a year or more. He maintains a written service log for the machine. He uses Premium Diesel Synthetic Oil with an additive and a good filter. He runs Low viscosity fluid with an additive for improved lubricity. Machine has always run premium diesel with fuel treatments. The machine has 400 hours on it. Owner has the Technical service manual and it goes with the machine.

Owner B - Isn't a GTT member and belongs to Scut/THC where the primary discussion is THC levels in hemp and sometimes tractors. But its not the SCUTS which interests most on the site. He isn't sure when he changed the oil last, but he had the kid down the street do it. Seems like it wasn't that long ago. Completely unaware of what oil was used, or if the hydro fluid was Low Viscosity. All he knows is it cost him 2 cases of beer and 2 oz of his best closet grown product. He really liked that product and next time, he is going to negotiate better, if he remembers to......His machine has 400 (ish) hours on it. He runs whatever fuel is cheapest. Thinks there might have been a manual of some type somewhere, at some time, but not sure where it is.

Both are the same asking price.......

And before I ask which machine you would buy, no, the Owner B isn't throwing any of his home grown product in with the deal........:laugh::lol: Owner B did indicate he would prefer all cash as he doesn't want to have to involve a bank in the deal or any paperwork, man...........

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! :gizmo:

OMLVU31626
Thanks, I must be blind, all I see is 400 and 600hr service in maintenance area .

·
Premium Member
11,028 Posts
And before I ask which machine you would buy, no, the Owner B isn't throwing any of his home grown product in with the deal........:laugh::lol: Owner B did indicate he would prefer all cash as he doesn't want to have to involve a bank in the deal or any paperwork, man...........
But I doubt that the owner would tell you ANY of those background details about Tractor-B. Likely when you roll up some dude with beads will greet you, point to the tractor sitting next to the flowers, and in his best Tommy Chong voice will say "Over there is the tractor man, let me know if you want it. If not, that's cool". :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called my dealer today. The service guy said to change the oil and filter on engine around the 50hr mark. He said not to worry about hydro oil until the 200 hr mark.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Take a baby aspirin a day and you likely will never feel the effect nor will it seem any different than the person who doesn't take a baby aspirin a day. And then one day, the person who doesn't take the baby aspirin has a stroke, a heart attack or a pulmonary edema. Studies have found being proactive on such matters certainly don't hurt anything and in fact, could be beneficial.
The American Heart Association doesn't recommend daily aspirin for the proactive prevention of heart attack or stroke. If you're currently taking a daily aspirin, make sure you ask your Family Practitioner or cardiologist about whether or not you should still be doing so.

Avoid daily aspirin unless your doctor prescribes it, new guidelines advise | American Heart Association

Aspirin and Heart Disease | American Heart Association

Just sayin'. Otherwise yeah...you should do what your doctor (or your tractor manufacturer) recommends.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I called my dealer today. The service guy said to change the oil and filter on engine around the 50hr mark. He said not to worry about hydro oil until the 200 hr mark.
I would ask your dealer why not to worry about the hydro oil until 200 hours! It's your machine, not his!

It sure wouldn't hurt to change it now! I know it sure would make me feel better if it was mine. As for the engine oil, IMO, it should be an annual thing regardless of hours!:)

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Hope I get this right...One baby aspirin in my tractor annually, change my oil after 50/200/400 hours to help prevent heart disease...:hide::laugh:

I love reading the change oil threads...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts