Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’m looking for a x530 or X580 with a 54” deck and in my area I’m seeing a lot of x530s with mostly 500-800 hours on them with the rare 400 hour one. Wondering if it has that amount of hours does it have much life left? I’m looking for a mower and a snowblower machine no ground engagement just those tasks and pulling a cart and the occasional spreader. I figure year round use would be 60-70 hours a year. The heavy work will be done by the 1025r.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
If meticulously maintained you could get 2000-3000 hrs out of a high quality air cooled engine like Kawasaki. Some folks have even gotten more.

Average usage for me seems to be around 50 hrs per year. That is regular mowing of 1 acre and using the tractor with a lawn cart for other misc. duties.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If meticulously maintained you could get 2000-3000 hrs out of a high quality air cooled engine like Kawasaki. Some folks have even gotten more.

Average usage for me seems to be around 50 hrs per year. That is regular mowing of 1 acre and using the tractor with a lawn cart for other misc. duties.

Ok great good to know, thank you. Worst comes to worst I can get a high hour one and have a small engine tech I know go over it and let me know what needs to be done if anything if I can get it at a fair price. I’m thinking maybe the transmission will need work before the engine then?

For giggles I asked for quotes from two dealers on a X580 both sticker, no thanks and one was where I bought my 1025r from so used I go and dont mind it as I’ll be able to get the power flow and snow blower a little sooner.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Ok great good to know, thank you. Worst comes to worst I can get a high hour one and have a small engine tech I know go over it and let me know what needs to be done if anything if I can get it at a fair price. I’m thinking maybe the transmission will need work before the engine then?

For giggles I asked for quotes from two dealers on a X580 both sticker, no thanks and one was where I bought my 1025r from so used I go and dont mind it as I’ll be able to get the power flow and snow blower a little sooner.
That's a bummer. They must have had a good winter. :) When I bought my X500 there was the typical $500 off promotion plus they gave me an additional $300 off just for walking in the door. You just missed the annual X500-series sales promotion. Currently the promotion on on X300-series.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a bummer. They must have had a good winter. :) When I bought my X500 there was the typical $500 off promotion plus they gave me an additional $300 off just for walking in the door. You just missed the annual X500-series sales promotion. Currently the promotion on on X300-series.
I know! It’s good for them if they are getting those prices I just know I can do better. And as my mowing machine and blower I can go used and will save some cash. As I’ll have the FEL plow as well so I’ll be able to pick what I want to use which will be nice. No having to switch attachments and the x530 setup I feel will be able to fit in tighter spaces. I love my 1025r but miss how my old X500 mowed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Air cooled

Properly maintained and such an air cooled will run a good long time. Overheating and not changing the oil will kill them or any engine fast. I sold a Snapper rear engine rider on auction and got top dollar with at least 1000 hours on the 11 horse Briggs. It ran perfect, actually better than its replacement.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Ok so I’m looking for a x530 or X580 with a 54” deck and in my area I’m seeing a lot of x530s with mostly 500-800 hours on them with the rare 400 hour one. Wondering if it has that amount of hours does it have much life left? I’m looking for a mower and a snowblower machine no ground engagement just those tasks and pulling a cart and the occasional spreader. I figure year round use would be 60-70 hours a year. The heavy work will be done by the 1025r.
Thanks
Like others have said, if you maintain it, you can 3000+ hours. Air cooled Kawasaki's last a long time if you take care of them. I would not sweat one with 500-800 hours. Everything else about the tractor will probably die before the engine does. What you list as tasks are pretty easy on a tractor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok great thanks everyone for the information and reassurance on the engines. :bigthumb: I’ll be sure to post back with whatever I get.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wrench

Ok time to throw a wrench in here, but not intentionally though. While I’m looking around seems like the x540s are lower priced than a comparable X530 and even x500s.
I figured liquid cooled would fetch more $ or is there a wide spread issue when those get up in age? I know I’ve seen many members here state they love theirs but seems like a few dealers have them around where some x500s are and the x530s are fetching the most even the high hour machines. Maybe I’m missing something?

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Ok time to throw a wrench in here, but not intentionally though. While I’m looking around seems like the x540s are lower priced than a comparable X530 and even x500s.
I figured liquid cooled would fetch more $ or is there a wide spread issue when those get up in age? I know I’ve seen many members here state they love theirs but seems like a few dealers have them around where some x500s are and the x530s are fetching the most even the high hour machines. Maybe I’m missing something?
The only reason I can see is that the X540 went totally out of production in 2014. The water-cooled Kawasaki FD731V is no longer used anywhere. Whereas even though the X500/X530 was replaced with the X570/X580 the underlying components of the tractor are the same. They still use the same transmission and Kawasaki FS730V engine. So in a way with a X500/X530 you have sort of a less obsolete machine.

That's my theory anyway. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only reason I can see is that the X540 went totally out of production in 2014. The water-cooled Kawasaki FD731V is no longer used anywhere. Whereas even though the X500/X530 was replaced with the X570/X580 the underlying components of the tractor are the same. They still use the same transmission and Kawasaki FS730V engine. So in a way with a X500/X530 you have sort of a less obsolete machine.

That's my theory anyway. :)

Makes sense, so worst case scenario if a X540 owner needed or wanted a repower just have to put an air cooled engine in then?

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
Makes sense, so worst case scenario if a X540 owner needed or wanted a repower just have to put an air cooled engine in then?
That would indeed be VERY worst case. Keep in mind that a water cooled engine "should" last longer than an air-cooled engine. If properly maintained the engine should last a long time. Parts are still readily available so unless you experienced a catastrophic failure resulting in a rod sticking out of the block, the odds of needing a complete "Repower" are relatively low.

Heck, the single cylinder Kawasaki engine in my old JD 175 Hydro was over 25 years old and still running strong and quiet when I sold the tractor.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would indeed be VERY worst case. Keep in mind that a water cooled engine "should" last longer than an air-cooled engine. If properly maintained the engine should last a long time. Parts are still readily available so unless you experienced a catastrophic failure resulting in a rod sticking out of the block, the odds of needing a complete "Repower" are relatively low.

Heck, the single cylinder Kawasaki engine in my old JD 175 Hydro was over 25 years old and still running strong and quiet when I sold the tractor.

Wow thats good! Yeah I just wanted to think worst case scenario as this will be with me for at least 10-15 years. Seems like i got it narrowed down to 5 machines: one X500 one X530 and the rest are x540s. Tomorrow will be a lot of phone calls and emails

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I sold my 1967 MF135 with 11,000 plus hours on original engine ect when I got my 4044M. It still ran good and started every winter with out a heater for 13 years owning it! Got more then the $2800.00 I paid for it when sold.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
I sold my 1967 MF135 with 11,000 plus hours on original engine ect when I got my 4044M. It still ran good and started every winter with out a heater for 13 years owning it! Got more then the $2800.00 I paid for it when sold.
I wouldn't put a Kawasaki 2-cylinder lawn mower engine in the same category as the engine in a MF 135. :) Like the engines in the old Fords, those will still be running fine long after the Kawasaki lawn mower engines have turned to dust.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I wouldn't put a Kawasaki 2-cylinder lawn mower engine in the same category as the engine in a MF 135. :) Like the engines in the old Fords, those will still be running fine long after the Kawasaki lawn mower engines have turned to dust.
Mine was a 3 Cylinder Perkins Gas great engine!

·
Registered
156 Posts
All things being equal I’d go with x530 or x540 over the x500, Power steering is a very nice option that you don’t think you need until you have one. The kicker for you is you eventually want to snow blow, hydraulic lift is nice for snow blower- yeah you can get a spring assist for 500 to help raise and lower blower, still much less complicated to have hydraulic lift. Both the 530 and 540 are nice machines. Myself I’m partial to the X540- excellent tractor.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It all has to do with model and care. I had a B&S that I ran 21 years and the engine was still good when I hauled the mower to the dump. I have owned numerous B&S engines and never had one fail.

I have looked at a couple of used Kohler's and decided I will not own one. They have some kind of funky compression relief system.

My F725 has a water cooled Kawasaki with 1200 hours on it and seems to run okay. Apparently some of those have plastic cam gears that break. Hopefully mine will hang in.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
It all has to do with model and care. I had a B&S that I ran 21 years and the engine was still good when I hauled the mower to the dump. I have owned numerous B&S engines and never had one fail.

I have looked at a couple of used Kohler's and decided I will not own one. They have some kind of funky compression relief system.

My F725 has a water cooled Kawasaki with 1200 hours on it and seems to run okay. Apparently some of those have plastic cam gears that break. Hopefully mine will hang in.
I think it is all about the luck of the draw. I have an Ariens lawn tractor that I purchased NEW and use it only as a mail getter. It has a B&S single cylinder 31-series engine. I run only non-Ethanol fuel, I always check the oil (it does not use a drop), keep the air cleaner clean and change the oil a couple times a year. At around 15 hrs the compression release lever broke on the cam shaft and then the starter didn't have enough power to crank the engine. I ended up replacing the cam and governor gear. Then at around 40 hrs the carb started leaking and filling the crankcase with gas. I got that all taken care of (installed a fuel shutoff) and about 2 weeks later it started to backfire and then quit. I'm still trying to get it running again.

I'm willing to bet there isn't a B&S engine out there that has been more cared for than this engine and still it's having all these problems with less than 60 hrs.

I'm convinced that the newer small B&S engines are now so cheaply made that there is really nothing you can do to ensure a long engine life.

But... if properly maintained, I think you CAN expect very long life from the Kawasaki engines that JD uses in the X-series.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok yeah I think I’ll be sticking to local up to 3-4 hr drive one way as Ive tried to use uship but its more hassle than its worth. Stinks the supply is not as strong but there are contenders! I heard back from my dealer I bought the 1025r from and another and all three are stuck on sticker! No way ill ever pay sticker for one. I haven’t yet so not going to start unless they wanna start throwing attachments in for free :laugh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts