Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It was a good video, I Don’t usually twist mine but I will probably start putting one in them.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
Learned from a trucker a while back, one twist to keep it from vibrating in the wind.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
1/2 twist on each side if there is enough length. Not needed on a short run such as tying down each corner of a tractor.

Dave

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
Thanks for sharing, if I knew this I forgot, but what else is news at my age. :giggle:

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is interesting. I would have liked to have seen them go back and try multiple straps at 1 twist after the final results to see how much variation there is from 1 strap to another strap using the same 1 twist approach... there are plenty of variables for a test like this so only doing 1 of each leaves room for strap integrity to play a role. I think the one thing that this does show without a doubt is that knots are really bad and too many twists are bad.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,470 Posts
Don't know how true this is but on another forum where this was posted it was said that all the failures (other than the knot) were at the ratchet and most appeared to not have at least 2 wraps around the drum. I'm not sure I've ever seen a requirement for a 2 wrap minimum on a ratchet strap.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't know how true this is but on another forum where this was posted it was said that all the failures (other than the knot) were at the ratchet and most appeared to not have at least 2 wraps around the drum. I'm not sure I've ever seen a requirement for a 2 wrap minimum on a ratchet strap.
I don't believe I've ever seen a wrap requirement either, but the drum is a pretty small radius, and I would think it would be natural for force to concentrate there.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Being the opposite of a strap expert I have a couple of basic questions.

Is the strap fed through the slot on the ratchet from the loose end (single strand) or folded with the fold fed through the slot? Does it make a difference?
I can see at least 2 wraps around the drum as providing a tighter grip to keep the strap from sliding under load. Besides bulking the strap on the drum, does more turns affect the strength?
I can guess that the strap fails where there is compression to generate heat, ie. at the ratchet drum or at a knot. Does the heat cause the failure? Would performance be improved in cold temperatures like deep winter?
The strap also showed signs of heat at the top of the jack. That compression was spread out in a curve. Would a smaller interface, say the edge of a cabinet top, have concentrated that heat enough to make that a failure point?

Just some of the questions that jump at me after watching this informative video.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
You could always watch the video and see the failures.

The failure was where the wrap began. I don’t think more wraps would have changed anything. The only different failure was from a knot.

All tests that were with a reasonable number of wraps were consistent in strength and failure mode. There’s your distributon. Even 10 twists wasn’t a huge difference in strength, only a knot severely compromised it. and if someone is running 10 twists, they just don’t care and probably use their straps until they fall apart, or rust solid.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,470 Posts
The failure was where the wrap began. I don’t think more wraps would have changed anything. The only different failure was from a knot.
A winch is strongest on the top wrap and weakest on the first wrap on the drum. Not sure if the same principle applies with straps but certainly the larger diameter from multiple wraps has to help since the "bend" isn't as severe.

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
A winch is strongest on the top wrap and weakest on the first wrap on the drum. Not sure if the same principle applies with straps but certainly the larger diameter from multiple wraps has to help since the "bend" isn't as severe.
Watch the video, it breaks before it bends

1 - 20 of 38 Posts