Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys noob here. I’m working in a vert tight area and need to move gravel to this location. What would be a safe amount I can put in the bucket without any rear weight ? I was thinking half of the bucket maybe. Thanks in advance.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,340 Posts
All flat land?

Reactions: jrsierra

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Take half loads if you can’t use ballast. It’s more than just safety. Ballast protects your front axle. No ballast means leaky front seals.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you can lift it and keep the rear tires on the ground, you're OK...BUT!!!!! Drive VERY slow when moving and keep you bucket as low as you can, like no more than a foot off of the ground.Bob

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,340 Posts
If you can lift it and keep the rear tires on the ground, you're OK...BUT!!!!! Drive VERY slow when moving and keep you bucket as low as you can, like no more than a foot off of the ground.Bob
(y)

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
12,711 Posts
A noob using a SCUT to carry gravel in the FEL in a "mostly flat" tight work area without rear ballast. This has all of the components for a bad outcome. Possibly a very bad outcome. It's sort of like betting against gravity. When you lose, it's big.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Keep the mower deck on, also, get yourself a drawbar and a couple suitcase weights, you can slap together some emergency ballast in a hurry if you have no other options. Doing this, your Ballast barely hangs beyond the 3 point arms.

·
Premium Member
2020 2038R w220R MSL
177 Posts
Most importantly, keep the load low. There is a lot of fear mongering when it comes to ballast. If you use caution, keep the load low, and you are on a level surface you'll be fine. A full load of gravel in an unballasted 1025R's bucket will make the rear very light. The operator feels that condition and adjusts. In a gravel process there is no reason to raise the load up high. If you are dumping over a fence or something added caution is warranted.

The vast majority of tractors tipping (the term "rollover" is misleading) over are on steep slopes and high loads. Often some combination of both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Joel804 Do you have rear wheel weights and/or filled rear tires? What do you normally use for rear ballast?
Not yet. Got it 10 days ago. I have the back hoe but not enough room to swing around with it in the area I’m working in. The job needs to be completed today. I’ll figure it out. If I need to make a bunch of light load trips then so be it. Oh well.we win some and lose some lol.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Read your tractor and loader owners manual for ballast requirements and follow them. These tractors are really lightweight aluminum castings and without ballast they can’t safely perform up to their capabilities.
How much gravel are you moving? Be extra careful when making sharp turns. A tractors front axle is on a pivot in the center, it’s very easy to get yourself in an uncomfortable situation in a hurry as the front axle follows the ground contours and the tractor itself tries to remain vertical.
Start a thread and post some pics of your project too!

·
Premium Member
12,711 Posts
I’ll figure it out. If I need to make a bunch of light load trips then so be it.
When the rear wheels get light, and they will with even 1/4 bucket load of gravel, you have NO BRAKES to stop the machine. On "Mostly Flat" land, that's a very big deal. The higher you lift to dump, the more unstable the machine will be.

Oh well.we win some and lose some lol.
:cautious:

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
You can test fill bucket and determine how full it is when it nears the tipping point.
Then simply keep your loads well below that level.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It's not a matter of tipping forward, it's a matter of tipping over on your side. I've moved 100's of tons of gravel up and down hills, along flat spaces, etc. and I wouldn't move even half a bucket without ballast.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts