Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right area to ask this question but here it is. How much concrete have you ever had delivered off a cement mixer & finished it by yourself. I'm talking about the area of the pour & how many yards. I'm trying to determine if I can handle the pouring & finishing of 13 cubic yards as a one man project. Or maybe break the pour up into 3 sections like 4-4-5 with floating & finish between pours over three or four day period.

And yes, my wife who is my underpaid gofer says she's not signing up for this one. She is convinced I'm way over the CuCu nest. Is she right?

:nunu:

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts
She is convinced I'm way over the CuCu nest. Is she right?

Yes, she is.

Get help, or hire this part out...the truck driver and curing concrete will not wait on you.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Yes, she is.

Get help, or hire this part out...the truck driver and curing concrete will not wait on you.
Agreed. Hire it out. I won't ever do a large pour on my own ever again. A couple of yards, no big deal. Anything over 3-5 will kill an average man. :lol:

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Yes, she is.

I have to agree with Kenny. Concrete work is grueling.

·
Administrator
17,321 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
Way to much concrete for one person.. Get at least 2 if not 3 helpers or hire the job out.

Ask around find some concrete workers , they are usually looking for side jobs or know of someone who is retired and will take on the job.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Way to much concrete for one person.. Get at least 2 if not 3 helpers or hire the job out.

Ask around find some concrete workers , they are usually looking for side jobs or know of someone who is retired and will take on the job.
A friend of mine is a part-time concrete finisher. He does all my concrete work and is reasonable. He makes it look easy. Don't be fooled. It ain't easy.

Check with the local lumber companies, or hardware stores. They usually keep a list of folks looking for side jobs, carpenters, concrete finishers, trim workers, etc...

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
There are a few things worth paying for. I just spent more having professionals do my roof then I had in a whole new interior on my house. New Joists and stud extensions all around the exterior.

Ive done 8 tons of dry concrete for posts, no slabs beyond 10x10. I can connect multiples but it takes time, section by section, not a driver that expects to unload.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

Here guys working siders like beer, cold beer, it effects the price.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
I helped someone with a garage floor slab pour back many, many moons ago (when I was in my early 20s!) that was right at 12 cubic yards. There were 2 of us doing it and I thought I was gonna die.

There are people that do that stuff for a living. Let them! Pay them whatever they ask! It's worth it! :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Depends on how thick your slab is as to wether you can pour it and finish it by yourself.
If you have a 3 foot thick slab, you should be good.:lol:

Like the others said, get experienced help.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Not sure if this is the right area to ask this question but here it is. How much concrete have you ever had delivered off a cement mixer & finished it by yourself. I'm talking about the area of the pour & how many yards. I'm trying to determine if I can handle the pouring & finishing of 13 cubic yards as a one man project. Or maybe break the pour up into 3 sections like 4-4-5 with floating & finish between pours over three or four day period.

And yes, my wife who is my underpaid gofer says she's not signing up for this one. She is convinced I'm way over the CuCu nest. Is she right?

A lot of variables. Different mixes set faster than others. Have done a lot of concrete over the years. I would strongly recommend at least 3 guys. You have to get it in the forms, screet it fairly quick and than start bull floating it when the cream comes up. After that comes your edging and what ever top finish. I would have it delivered in a truck as early as possible. You don't want concrete that's been churning all day in a truck. You won't get a consistent mix by hand, and you won't be able to mix batches fast enough to avoid one area setting and fresh stuff next to it. A lot of things can go wrong too, eg bulging form and other problems. 4 guys and wheel barrels would be ideal. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Well all you guys have answered my OP. Thanks to all. I guess my wife is correct. I've reached a new plateau in my quest of madman building. I will concede & keep looking for the right people/company/price to get er done. Thanks.
Don't you hate it when THAT happens?? :laugh:

Oh, don't let MY sweetie see this post!! :hide:

·
Registered
4,948 Posts

My answer in NO . . . and if you do it you'll wish you had not about 5 minutes into the pour.

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Maddog, take my professional advice, hire this out. Everyone who responded obviously has had experience with this. A small project a couple yards no problem but 13 and you didn't say what you were intending to use either, 2,000, 2500, 3000 pound, more? The approximate weight of each cubic yard (rule of thumb for 3,000) is about 4,000 pounds so you do the math, you don't want to move all that cement yourself and you will lose the mix in very short order.... plus the driver will not work with you after about 30 minutes of him/her waiting, and they charge for time after a certain amount of time too... Good luck.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maddog, take my professional advice, hire this out. Everyone who responded obviously has had experience with this. A small project a couple yards no problem but 13 and you didn't say what you were intending to use either, 2,000, 2500, 3000 pound, more? The approximate weight of each cubic yard (rule of thumb for 3,000) is about 4,000 pounds so you do the math, you don't want to move all that cement yourself and you will lose the mix in very short order.... plus the driver will not work with you after about 30 minutes of him/her waiting, and they charge for time after a certain amount of time too... Good luck.
Thanks. Yes, you are so correct on this. I'm convinced this is not the DIY job. It's a little more heavy duty than a few 50 pound bags of Sakrete from the home center.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts