Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after seven weeks I finally get my 855 transaxle pried out of my dealer's hands. One of the delays was that they lost a Bushing & it is NLA so they had to fight another dealer to sell them one. Ok, bushing comes in, they complete the repair.

So I have the transaxle back from the dealer & I start to put my 855 back together. By chance I decide to remove the oil drain flange at the back of the transaxle in order to put in a new O ring at the strainer screen down in the sump. I pull out the screen & there sits the lost bushing. Along with the lost bushing I see the screen is covered with metal shavings I would rate as fine. The shavings may be due to a missing detent ball that no one could account for & was also the subject of at least two hours of discussion with the service dept. So tomorrow when I show up at the dealer & hand him the bushing which they somehow managed to lose inside the transaxle, & the screen with all the fine shavings, what exactly do I say?

Right now I don't understand how the bushing found its way to the bottom & rear of the transaxle because the back cover of the T/axle was never taken off & there is a partition wall inside & this bushing should have been on the front side of the partition. This subject gets rather complicated so I've tried only to give the highlights. During this repair, the service manager fired the tech who had the job originally & then expressed some doubt to me about the second guy on the job.

I don't think it will be a shouting match when I see the manager, but I do want him to acknowledge the incompetence of the people who he put on this job. I also want him to extend the repair warranty time from their thirty day warranty to ninety days because I have ZERO confidence in this stupid place. No money back, no blame game. Just increase my warranty period for the peace of mind. I think that's fair. This place charges an hourly rate of $92. per hour. I won't mention names here but this giant dealership is now up to 58 locations throughout the southeast & as far as I'm concerned there nothing more than corporate gangsters. Two weeks ago I was considering buying a zero turn from them to the tune of about $8,000. That's one sale they will never make because if they can't deliver the service I may need on it, what's the point. And tomorrow when I tell the Sales Dept. mgr. he lost a sale because of his dumb ass service dept. they can take that to the next sales meeting & pat themselves on the back.

There's a New Holland dealer two miles down from Deere. As long as the only dealer in my area is this giant jerk franchise whose motto is "Strong on Service" I will not buy another thing painted Green & Yellow with the words John Deere. Yea, runs like a Deere & smells like a you know what.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I'm no expert on this stuff, but if you think this is bad, you haven't seen anything from a case new holland dealer/corporate flustercuck.

I think what you want is reasonable, and I think you should just demand what you have listed here. Maybe add a couple of little things in at the beginning that you can drop later in case of a negotiation?

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I feel for ya!!

I like the idea of extending the warranty, but I'm not sure that 90 days is enough. I'd probably want 6 months. Do you mow with your 855? If so, will you be mowing for much past the 90 days? I think I'd ask for a warranty of XXXX hours - and take a picture of the hour meter now to start the clock.

Good luck with this and let us all know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I feel for ya!!

I like the idea of extending the warranty, but I'm not sure that 90 days is enough. I'd probably want 6 months. Do you mow with your 855? If so, will you be mowing for much past the 90 days? I think I'd ask for a warranty of XXXX hours - and take a picture of the hour meter now to start the clock.

Good luck with this and let us all know how it works out.
I think you have a very strong case and are being fair. Obviously you care about your equipment and you hired them to do the job because you thought that would have the best outcome. Had your not cared enough to change that o-ring you could have had a lot of ground up bronze floating around that transmission and a much bigger headache for you and them.

I am very partial to deere equipment but I also believe New Holland has some good things out there. I was just talking to a guy this week that I had not talked to for a while. He just bought a 40 hp NH, I asked him why not a Deere and he said it was too expensive. Mine has 100 hours on it and his has 100 hours on his but the picture he showed me of his was without the engine. Something happened with the oil pump and they are replacing the motor but ....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This sounds a lot like the kind of dealer I have, so I don't know about asking for more warranty. What good is a warranty if they can't fix anything? I finally got to the point on mine that I didn't want them working on it anymore, 'cause not only could they not fix anything but they usually just created more problems for me to fix.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I think its very reasonable to ask them to extend the warranty on the work, based on what you found. I agree with a few others who have said to ask for a longer period, maybe hours vs months. Go in with the expectation that they WILL do that, and the only question being whether its extra hours or extra time.

Id say its not so much incompetence as it is just a simple "I dont care" attitude. Had they cared about it, youd have had a solution MUCH faster than you did, and that tech would have been gone long before you ever got involved.
Id mention to him too about your possible purchase going eleswhere. Some people will say not to, as it wont get you anything, but if that guy cares, it will get you, and maybe others, a lot more. He needs to know that his practices are costing him lost sales and lost future business.
Deere is a big company, but they do care what their dealers are doing to their name. If the dealer doesnt address your issues to your satisfaction, contact Deere and let them know whats going on, and your concerns. Sometimes corporate can move things along better with a dealer than the dealer would without them in their ear.

My neighbor has a Stihl MS270 thats probably 8 years old or so. He was having issues starting and keeping it running so it went to the local Deere/Stihl dealer. They had it in 3 times over 3 months for the exact same issue. They charged him about $120, not including the carb they put on, then took off and refunded him because it too didnt fix the issue.
He contacted Stihl. They talked to the dealer, who explained they couldnt find anything, and then Stihl recommended he take it to a different dealer, which he did. They had it all of 4 days during late Spring (very busy time around here for any outdoor power equipment), and had it fixed. Stihl covered all the repairs.
It was a torn intake boot. Very common, and should have been very easy to find.
Point is, sometimes just because the dealer says one thing, doesnt mean thats how its going to be.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
T

Maddog I feel your pain and thing extend warranty is not unreasonable. I don’t know why it such and chore to get ANYTHING done these days. I’ve had my zturn back several times since new for hard starting and not running right with no improvement, finally did some things myself and is now tolerable.

I am very partial to deere equipment but I also believe New Holland has some good things out there. I was just talking to a guy this week that I had not talked to for a while. He just bought a 40 hp NH, I asked him why not a Deere and he said it was too expensive. Mine has 100 hours on it and his has 100 hours on his but the picture he showed me of his was without the engine. Something happened with the oil pump and they are replacing the motor but ....[/QUOTE]

Herminator I am also very partial to Deere. Surrounded by them and operated Deere all my life. I’m sad to say I’m ready for a new larger tractor and am looking at others beside Deere. I need somewhere around 60 pto hp. As you may seen in my prior post am investigating 4 and 5 series Deere’s. Cost is staggering to my budget. Like you said New Holland has some good tractors and cost is not that far from Deere, BUT I’ve taken that a step further and have been reading and looking at LS Tractors. They make most models for New Holland. Look at serial number tag. I can get a 73 hp cab tractor for $25000 less than same in a 5 series Deere. Boy am I struggling with this. So many standard features on LS that are options on a Deere. Good warranty and I can not consciously not look at one. Matter of fact Mrs., and I are driving to a dealer North of me tomorrow to look at the 68 and 73 hp ones they have in stock. Not to hijack this thread and I’ve been going to post about this thought but honestly I’ve been that torn about it. Thoughts or knowledge on Ls tractors?

·
Administrator
21,119 Posts
Not to hijack this thread and I’ve been going to post about this thought but honestly I’ve been that torn about it. Thoughts or knowledge on Ls tractors?
Please start a new thread bout this. That way we don't derail this one and you can get better responses. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
It makes me laugh and not in a funny way. Ok so the mechanic stinks and the manager knows it. That's a bad manager and the person above him ain't getting the job done. I would work towards hours of warranty and a change of the fluid at about half of that time and again at the end. They provide the fluid, I'd change it myself.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Please start a new thread bout this. That way we don't derail this one and you can get better responses. :thumbup1gif:
Will do Sorry could help myself.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK guys-HERE'S CHAPTER TWO ABOUT MY LEAKING OIL SEAL.

So between my wife's surgery & running here back & forth to the doc, I finally get my 855 put back together without a single part leftover. So I run thru all the transaxle checks in the shop service manual, Do some tweaking on the disconnected linkages & everything in the transaxle appears to be ok.

But then I try out the differential lock lever & it will not depress to allow me to engage the differential lock to lock the right side diff. Ok, I say to myself. Probably just an adjustment to the linkage. So I go out & run the PTO shaft for about four hours. And guess what! The brand new JD installed PTO shaft oil seal is leaking!!! I can't believe my eyes! That's after I wipe away the tears.

I called the dealer svc. mgr. & we had a discussion over the bad Diff. lock & the leak. We kept it civilized although I wanted to reach into the phone & jack his nuts. Anyway, he can't understand why the diff is not working at this point & neither can I. But keep in mind it was on the diff side of the transaxle where I found the missing bushing as you recall if you read my original post. The bigger problem is the oil seal-NEW & LEAKING after four hours in.

The plan is to run it for another four hours & see if the leak will self heal. If not it means another new seal. I just got done tearing down this machine. Waiting like seven weeks for them to put a stinking seal in, replace a detent ball & get it back to me. Now I have to do it all over again. The service mgr. told me that if the leak will not seal, they will warranty out the seal under JD parts warranty & THEY will take the tractor in & tear it down, repair the transaxle & put it all back together for me.

In fairness, he thinks the seal Will not self heal. He said after about an hour of run time, a leaky seal will generally break in & be good to go for the foreseeable future. And I have to agree with him. My experience has been that a new seal will leak if it is damaged during installation or if it is not fully pressed into its cavity or if it is unevenly seated.

I am just so disgusted with it all. I also think that part of the problem is that the people working on these tractors weren't even born when they were made. It appears to me that today's so called technicians (One time they were mechanics) can operate a cellphone, a Bluetooth, Ipod, tablet & a bottle opener all at the same time, but totally clueless or just plain lazy on how to do a job with pride.

As I grow older & older I fear that its these modern wizards of technology that my life & care will depend upon. God save the queen & me too.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Hated to "Like" that post, but I clicke it anyway.

I'd be crying too. Fingers crossed that they get it figured out.
Ditto

Reactions: PJR832 and Maddog

·
Registered
191 Posts
FWIW - those "Strong on Service" people luckily are not in my area. They do however run craigslist adds trying to sell packages etc. I pointed this out to my dealer and they weren't real happy to say the least.

Good luck and don't give up, although I would be tempted to take a day off work to watch the re assembly......

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Sorry to hear about these problems. That would get my blood boiling as well. At least they are going to make it right for you though.

I always wondered that if you don’t have time to do the job right the first time. What makes you think you’ll have the time to do it a second.

I agree that most of these mechanics today aren’t rally mechanics. They are part replacers.

Gone are the days when you could describe a problem and the mechanic would say. Oh did you check this one thing. I know it seems weird but 9 times out of 10 this is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FWIW - those "Strong on Service" people luckily are not in my area. They do however run craigslist adds trying to sell packages etc. I pointed this out to my dealer and they weren't real happy to say the least.

Good luck and don't give up, although I would be tempted to take a day off work to watch the re assembly......
While I have avoided to name this franchise, just let me say that they are the LARGEST JD franchise in the country with 58 franchise locations. Who knows, maybe they will buy out JD corporate at some point if they keep going the way they are. A quantity operation, rather than a Quality operation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
While I have avoided to name this franchise, just let me say that they are the LARGEST JD franchise in the country with 58 franchise locations. Who knows, maybe they will buy out JD corporate at some point if they keep going the way they are. A quantity operation, rather than a Quality operation.
You didn't name them in your OP just their tagline. I assumed that was on purpose so I respected your wishes and did not out them either.

I travel a lot for work and have yet to hear much good said about them as a whole. I have heard stories of good people here and there, but definitely standouts, not the overall sentiment.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You didn't name them in your OP just their tagline. I assumed that was on purpose so I respected your wishes and did not out them either.

I travel a lot for work and have yet to hear much good said about them as a whole. I have heard stories of good people here and there, but definitely standouts, not the overall sentiment.
I have not called them out by name, because it's not my intent to hurt anyone's business. If I had a choice in dealerships however, I certainly would not do business with this one. However I am not sure that ANY of these places have any quality repair people. But its the same almost everywhere you go. Some person called a technician can change out a spark plug (maybe) but can't explain to you what it does?

The only outdoor equipment shops in my area that still have some good people & service are the ones that are sole proprietor owned. Some are a franchise & some are just independent. Either way, the sole owner shop or family owned shops are more willing to help a customer & gain their trust. The big franchise dealer people really don't care. The attitude is everybody gets paid once a week regardless of how bad they screwed up. Maybe if they got paid by what they accomplished, it would change the work ethic, but that's not happening anytime soon. Some industries are so hard pressed to attract & keep good people. My Dad was a tool & die maker back in the days before computers & CNC systems. I recall him doing all the calculations needed to machine a part before ever going over to the lathe or mill. Now they plug in some numbers at a computer & push a button. But if the computer breaks down or the button is not working, you can forget about getting your part made.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts