Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much front ballast do I need to get to help offset the weight of a one row cultivator? I have a County Line from TSC, I'm not sure of the weight, I can pick it up to move it so I feel like it's not more than 150#. I'm checking on the price of 42# suitcase weights from my dealer and might pick some up tomorrow. I'm hoping three or four will be enough to get me by for now.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Whoops, nevermind

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Your manual should have a section on how much ballast add but they do it by category so you have to find a piece of equipment comparable and go by it's catagory.

However for 150lbs I would be very comfortable with none. Even my 400 garden tractor would be fine with none.

Reactions: Yank and trav

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your manual should have a section on how much ballast add but they do it by category so you have to find a piece of equipment comparable and go by it's catagory.

However for 150lbs I would be very comfortable with none. Even my 400 garden tractor would be fine with none.
Thanks! I didn't even think to check the manual, I know at least one of my manuals has ballast info for using the loader but didn't think about checking to see if it had anything about ballasting for a 3 point attachment.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
It does have the info, it just isn't that helpful.

Reactions: trav

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Probably don’t kneed any to off set the weight. But you may need some for traction. This is one of the things you need to do by the way the tractor feels and acts. If the front feels light add weight until it doesn’t. If the tractor has issues spinning the tires while pulling and weights until you run out of power. Once you run out of power it’s time for a bigger tractor.

Reactions: MattL and trav

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would try 2, then 4. Make sure you're in 4WD too.

Reactions: trav
1 - 7 of 7 Posts