Green Tractor Talk banner

How much have you spent on out of warranty repairs?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A thread was started earlier today about the need for an extended warranty for a 1XXX series purchase. Considering the extended warranty costs $750.00 and lasts for a total of 4 years (or 800 hours), how much have you all spent on repairs out of the warranty?

·
Super Moderator
7,947 Posts
Is the poll intended to specifically address 102X series owners?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
ooops ^^^good question^^^ and I voted...sorry if I am out of series for this polll...PS voted $0 to 100

machine is 5 years, 4 mos old w/ 172 hrs on it

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
I haven't spent anything yet because I'm still under warranty.

For those responding that ARE out of warranty, IMO, it would be helpful to know how many hours are on your machine. Guys that are rebuilding machines from the 1940s/1950s are going to be a lot different than someone with a 2007 machine with 400 hours on it.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Interesting poll.

1026R, 2 years 10 months old, just shy of 120 hours.

I spent $20 in warranty, just for gas money to a good friend to trailer my tractor in for the warranty repair of FBS/DBS scv.

Nothing else in or out of warranty.

I'm satisfied.:good2:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did not vote in the poll since my 1026r is still covered under the basic warranty. But, for those of you who did vote and whose tractors are past the basic warranty, could you post up which model you have, what work was done, how old it was and how many hours it had when the repairs were made?
Let's see if we can collect some really good useful information as to the life of these machines! :thumbup1gif:

Mr. Moose

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
My 1026R was dropped off May 9th of 2012. Picture included. It has had more than the average issues.

3 point lift cylinder replaced due to rust on bypass valve scoring cylinder
Dash/instrument panel replaced to fix PTO
Headlight switch replaced when added rear work light
Loader stand replaced for update. Very lucky as mine wasn't broken before replacement.
Replaced SCV valve to repair FBS and DBS
Coolant leak was a lower rad hose not tightened

The PTO was a real pain because it wouldn't do it all the time. I think it went to the shop a couple times for that. Sometimes I hauled it and other times they did. All this was under warranty.

The only item I've fixed on my own $$ was the broken light I broke. I'm in the 120 hour range and very happy with my 1026R. There were some growing pains, but JD fixed them all and it has been a wonderful machine. It's not getting the use it did when I first got it, but some things are done and others require time I don't have. Still worth every penny.

Oh and I did not buy the extra warranty. I could see why some might want to, but I bought a premium brand and don't feel like I should have to. If it's only $750 on a machine that cost $17-22k I assume JD doesn't think it'll break much either. If it was a cheapee tractor I could see the extra warranty being worth it, but then again I bet the warranty would cost more as the numbers would probably show a higher failure rate.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm still under warranty but don't plan on buying the extended warranty. To me, buying it says you have no faith in the product and you expect it to be a pile o' crap. As was stated, I feel I've purchased a premium brand and shouldn't need it. Just my 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Guys,

I've got 405 hours on my 2.5 year old 1026R. I've used the machine for mowing, loader work and limited rear blade snow plowing. So far, I've not spent a dollar on out of warranty repairs that would have been covered had I purchased an extended warranty. Don't forget, if the extended warranty costs $750, you need to exceed that $750 in warranty repairs in years 3 and 4 to even be ahead of the game. My feeling is that is unlikely to happen. I never buy extended warranties on anything from cars to yachts to JD tractors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mtc Cost

almost 3 years old 250 hours , regular Mtc only , 0 cost to date . Have never purchased an extended warranty in my life . Only went wrong once with a chevy Silverado , should of bought the warranty !! l

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow, so far it seems to be an overwhelming $0-$100. Very cool!:good2:

It really does! So the important things on these scuts are well done. (Engine & transmission) The pita things (position control plastic housing, radiator overflow cap leaks, light switch, lousy seat springs and some other stuff fixed since roll out) are relatively minor.

Very good news.

Phil

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hiya,

Over 8 years on 2 different Deere compacts, other than oil and filters I have zero repairs. Hmmmmm, come to think of it, getting time to start looking for another new one...... :laugh:

Tom

·
Registered
269 Posts
While slightly bigger, the 2011, 2320 with 700 hours cost me far more on breakdowns than an extended warranty would have. I basically never buy extended warranties, but I sure regret not buying one on this machine. Since mine is not a SCUT, I did not vote.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While slightly bigger, the 2011, 2320 with 700 hours cost me far more on breakdowns than an extended warranty would have. I basically never buy extended warranties, but I sure regret not buying one on this machine. Since mine is not a SCUT, I did not vote.
Maybe a new poll in the MCUT forum?

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Oh and I did not buy the extra warranty. I could see why some might want to, but I bought a premium brand and don't feel like I should have to. If it's only $750 on a machine that cost $17-22k I assume JD doesn't think it'll break much either. -636
I just looked on the Deere website for a copy of the extended warranty agreement, the actual full policy document, and I was not able to find one. If anyone knows the location online of the actual full policy document for the extended warranty, I would really like to read the actual contract.

I can tell you that I deal with insurance contract loss ratios and the underwriting actuarial assumptions of paid claims pricing each day so I have a pretty good understanding of these issues.

For a contract which has a premium of $750, the issuing insurance company is pricing this to pay about $200 per issued contract in approved, eligible warranty claims. This would leave the remaining $550 to cover the marketing cost of the contract (paying those who sell the insurance), administration, reinsurance costs, taxes and of course profit.

This is not to say that no one has repairs over $200. Instead, if you add up all of the policies sold and divide that amount by the approved paid claims, that number would most likely be around the $200 number I mention. So you could have 24 out of 25 people with the extended warranty incur no eligible paid claims while one person could have a $5,000 repair bill, hence the $200 average.

One important point is to look at exactly what you are insuring out of the $17k to $22k total purchase price. I received a quote last week from my local dealer and he would sell me the 1025R tractor which retails for $14,846 for $11,652. While my total quote was for $21,770.28, only $11,652 was the tractor cost. The $1,232.28 in the total for sales tax is not insured. The $375 in freight, the $158 in set up costs and the $458 in labor for "attachment installation" is also not insured.

I would like to read the actual contract but I bet the extended warranty is limited to the tractor itself. After all, Deere sells attachments and accessories made by others which have their own manufacturers warranty. The cost of a cab on the tractor would most likely NOT be covered in any way on the extended warranty, even though the cab was in the purchase total.

If one can self insure and afford to write a "several thousand dollar check" without too much hardship or having to incur debt, then you would almost certainly be money ahead in the long run. Of course, the risk is if you are the owner who incurs the big claim and paying for the repair would require your tractor to be out of service until you can save the money or having to borow the funds, then maybe an extended warranty is a reasonable consideration.

I would expect that Deere financial issues their own extended warranty agreements so it should be a decent contract, verses one from an unknown company which would likely have more exclusions and limitations. The real proof is in the actual contract itself, which most people never read......I would like to just to know the specifics of how they determine loss and definitions on "reasonable wear and usage", scheduled maintenance required, etc.

Plus if you are having trouble falling asleep, pick up one of these contracts to read and I assure you that you will be lights out in a hurry.....:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just looked on the Deere website for a copy of the extended warranty agreement, the actual full policy document, and I was not able to find one. If anyone knows the location online of the actual full policy document for the extended warranty, I would really like to read the actual contract.

I can tell you that I deal with insurance contract loss ratios and the underwriting actuarial assumptions of paid claims pricing each day so I have a pretty good understanding of these issues.

For a contract which has a premium of $750, the issuing insurance company is pricing this to pay about $200 per issued contract in approved, eligible warranty claims. This would leave the remaining $550 to cover the marketing cost of the contract (paying those who sell the insurance), administration, reinsurance costs, taxes and of course profit.

This is not to say that no one has repairs over $200. Instead, if you add up all of the policies sold and divide that amount by the approved paid claims, that number would most likely be around the $200 number I mention. So you could have 24 out of 25 people with the extended warranty incur no eligible paid claims while one person could have a $5,000 repair bill, hence the $200 average.

One important point is to look at exactly what you are insuring out of the $17k to $22k total purchase price. I received a quote last week from my local dealer and he would sell me the 1025R tractor which retails for $14,846 for $11,652. While my total quote was for $21,770.28, only $11,652 was the tractor cost. The $1,232.28 in the total for sales tax is not insured. The $375 in freight, the $158 in set up costs and the $458 in labor for "attachment installation" is also not insured.

I would like to read the actual contract but I bet the extended warranty is limited to the tractor itself. After all, Deere sells attachments and accessories made by others which have their own manufacturers warranty. The cost of a cab on the tractor would most likely NOT be covered in any way on the extended warranty, even though the cab was in the purchase total.

If one can self insure and afford to write a "several thousand dollar check" without too much hardship or having to incur debt, then you would almost certainly be money ahead in the long run. Of course, the risk is if you are the owner who incurs the big claim and paying for the repair would require your tractor to be out of service until you can save the money or having to borow the funds, then maybe an extended warranty is a reasonable consideration.

I would expect that Deere financial issues their own extended warranty agreements so it should be a decent contract, verses one from an unknown company which would likely have more exclusions and limitations. The real proof is in the actual contract itself, which most people never read......I would like to just to know the specifics of how they determine loss and definitions on "reasonable wear and usage", scheduled maintenance required, etc.

Plus if you are having trouble falling asleep, pick up one of these contracts to read and I assure you that you will be lights out in a hurry.....:thumbup1gif:

I found the warranty details extremely difficult to find. This is no accident. It is not in the 1025 manuel. Says it's in another document, not supplied.

Total BS.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I found the warranty details extremely difficult to find. This is no accident. It is not in the 1025 manuel. Says it's in another document, not supplied.

Total BS.
It's not in the manual because it is a supplemental agreement which not everyone enters into and providing it in the manual would imply that those protections and benefits were available to all, which they are not.

I bet if I dig for awhile on the net, I can find it. Anyone who enters into the extended warranty should be provided with a copy plus the dealers should have the actual contracts available, or be able to direct interested parties to them, on the net.

My response assumes you are referring to the extended warranty which we are discussing. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts