Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
I would suspect they go for about 5k or so if you can find one. User/member "Smalltown" found and purchased one a while ago, you may try PM'ing him to see what he gave for it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,670 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
dwellonrooftop as Gizmo2 stated you will need the power beyond kit installed, also and most important is the rear bracket that Runner and Ensoll told me about.
On the rear of the tractor I beleive it's called a PTO shield or bracket that apparently is part of the original backhoe package. It is more robust than the non backhoe bracket. The bracket cost is (as was pointed out to me) sky high around $1,000. Kudos to Ensoll for pointing that out to me before getting a very rude monetary surprise. The blood took a little while to come back to my face :lol:

So if you do find a used #46 backhoe as I did that has the correct subframe (mine came off of a 2520 to go on my new 2520) ask the seller for the heavy bracket or if its still on their tractor if they will swap brackets with you as I did and your good to go, after all the seller will not need the heavy bracket if they are selling the backhoe.

The bracket is held on by approx. 8 to 10 bolts and was easily removed.

I have included a picture of the bracket that I believe Runner posted for me. I hope he doesn't mind.

P.S. As I remember the sub frame for the 2520 and the 2720 are the same, but the 2320 is not. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I would also check if the brackets are the same for the 2520 and 2720.

I still haven't used mine and need to replace a leaky hose. The summer projects and moving dirt with my new 2520 have kept me out straight. Right now the vegitation is hiding all the rocks and stumps so I am looking forward to fall so I can start my backhoe work and see what I am doing.

Attachments

Reactions: JeremyFXDWG

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,670 Posts
The sub frame for the 2320 is in fact different but I am not sure it the 2520 and 2720 are different.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the whole bracket heaver or just the sleves where the pins go in??? how much thicker or thick is ths plat metal?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Is the whole bracket heaver or just the sleves where the pins go in??? how much thicker or thick is ths plat metal?
The best picture I have is already posted in this thead. My new original support bracket went to the backhoe seller. You can see that the more "beefy backhoe bracket" is installed in the picture.
I remember comparing the two brackets side by side when I swapped with the backhoe seller. The only difference we could see was the thicker area that supports the 3ph pins.
I ran out to the garage, and the outside measured 2.5" across. You could compare that to yours.

Why JD wants ~$900 for this bracket confounds me, but you need the backhoe bracket. I would be afraid to operate the backhoe with out it.

P.S. Since my last post I will say that I like using the backhoe. I really enjoy the cracking and snapping of the tree roots is a good sound to me :mocking:.
Digging out rocks that previously resisted budging with pry bars and shovels, come out quickly. Especially liked removing the rocks that poked their heads up enough to threaten my mower blades.

Yes it's a small backhoe, but it's workled out great for me, and what I need it for.
I look out the window everyday anticipating spring and using the backhoe to remove more stumps and rocks.

Come on spring

Reactions: pappa

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
The rear backhoe mounting bracket has heavier steel plates and the welded bushings are a larger diameter and not quite as wide as those on the original three point hitch bracket. If it would help let me know and I'll take some pictures for you.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Any info. would be GREAT:thumbup1gif:Superglidesport
Here are some photos of that bracket that you don't want to leave behind if purchasing a used 46 backhoe It appears to be the stock 3PH bracket but upon close inspection it's much more rugged and the side bushings are different dimensions.

Machine Vehicle Auto part Machine tool

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Machine

Machine Technology Vehicle

Reactions: RandyM and Kennyd

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Thank you very much, that helps alot. I wonder why JD never installed as a standard item?
It's a very heavy bracket. For the small percentage of machines that actually use the backhoe I'm sure it would add significant standard cost to each tractor.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
9,065 Posts
Any info. would be GREAT:thumbup1gif:Superglidesport
Here are some additional photos that show the relationship of the rear bracket to the backhoe subframe

Bumper Automotive exterior Floor Wood Metal

Subframe rear bracket attaching points engage rear draft arm pins

Vehicle Chassis Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Bracket shown in relation to subframe

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

Another view

Asphalt Tire Automotive tire Transport Vehicle

Side view

It's a pretty rugged arrangement and preferable to using the 3PH alone for mounting a backhoe. The backhoe forces are well distributed between the fixed rear attaching points and the heavy front end loader attaching brackets to the frame.

Reactions: RandyM

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backhoe 46 I purchased a used one

I purchased a used BH46 and did not get the brackets for the back or front.
From what it looks like the existing bracket could be beefed up to accommodate. Some help would be nice in determining the measurements required.
Larry

The best picture I have is already posted in this thead. My new original support bracket went to the backhoe seller. You can see that the more "beefy backhoe bracket" is installed in the picture.
I remember comparing the two brackets side by side when I swapped with the backhoe seller. The only difference we could see was the thicker area that supports the 3ph pins.
I ran out to the garage, and the outside measured 2.5" across. You could compare that to yours.

Why JD wants ~$900 for this bracket confounds me, but you need the backhoe bracket. I would be afraid to operate the backhoe with out it.

P.S. Since my last post I will say that I like using the backhoe. I really enjoy the cracking and snapping of the tree roots is a good sound to me :mocking:.
Digging out rocks that previously resisted budging with pry bars and shovels, come out quickly. Especially liked removing the rocks that poked their heads up enough to threaten my mower blades.

Yes it's a small backhoe, but it's workled out great for me, and what I need it for.
I look out the window everyday anticipating spring and using the backhoe to remove more stumps and rocks.

Come on spring

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
I purchased a used BH46 and did not get the brackets for the back or front.
From what it looks like the existing bracket could be beefed up to accommodate. Some help would be nice in determining the measurements required.
Larry
Larry, starting your own thread (and not replying to one that's 2 years old) and letting us know what machine you have and what machine the brackets you have are for would help us.

And Welcome to GTT.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picture

I know this is a very old thread but I thought someone posted a picture of the bracket mentioned that was a side by side comparison.
Does anyone have it? Or was I dreaming.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I know this is a very old thread but I thought someone posted a picture of the bracket mentioned that was a side by side comparison.
Does anyone have it? Or was I dreaming.
Did you find a 46 to buy?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I see you are located in Ohio and if you are still looking I just saw a 46 for sale on Facebook Marketplace in Racine WI for $4800. :good2: It does not indicate which model tractor it came from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts