Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've been de-rusting and putting back in shape my 2019 1025R with a 47'' snowblower. I have completely disassembled the blower, changed the impeller, changed the oil from both boxes (impeller gearbox and enclosed chain box), changed a bunch of screws, added a LOT of anti seize everywhere it was relevant.

Now, when I finally reinstalled it on the tractor (you might have seen my post on removing the impeller, or my post on replacing the impeller shaft seal, or my post on the circlip on the shaft, it took a while), I feel like the blower makes too much noise. But now, it's my first tractor. I have a 1971 Ariens garden tractor / blower that is also noisy, but no experience with a SCUT.

It's nothing excessive, but I feel like it's too much noise. No idea how to explain it. Anyone has a video where I could hear the blower. I've read all the threads, but have no idea how to figure out if it is normal noise or not.... Anything specific to check that could make it noisy maybe. I would call it a rattling noise. I can hear the PTO from under the cab and when in front of the blower, I can hear mechanical rattling.

·
Premium Member
17,081 Posts
Are you running the blower while raised in the air or lowered to the ground?

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The noise generated is very different between the raised and the operating position on my 1026R and 47" Blower. This same blower was used on my 445 before I bought the 1026R in 2013 and the noise changed though not as much when raised on the 445. The 1026R seems to be slightly noisier when raised and I attribute that to the different drive shafts between the two tractors.

·
Premium Member
17,081 Posts
It was in the air. I do not believe I've tried it on the ground.
Try it on the ground. The PTO shaft can make a lot of noise in the raised position.

·
Registered
JD4600 loader/backhoe, JD2210 loader mower, JD332 mower,
138 Posts
I’ve had the model 47 blower on the front of my JD 318 for over 20 years now. I can’t say that this is directly connected to your issue, but there have been a few things that created noise over these years:
1: If the blower is lifted up too high, then the U-joints in the drive shaft will create a rattling sound.
2: Belt that is not tight enough. I had a belt that was tight enough to run the blower, but when fully tensioned, it clearly was not “tight” enough. When I replaced it with a slightly shorter belt, and was able to give it a little more tension, this eliminated a lot of random rattling noise and the blower became almost impossible to hear when it was engaged with the new belt.
3: Missing impeller bolt. At one point I noticed that the bolt that holds the impeller in position was missing. This allowed the impeller to slide back a little and start rubbing up against the bolts that hold the grearbox to the housing. The key in the shaft kept the impeller rotating, but it could slide along the shaft just a little bit. This was another noise source

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same blower so I have nothing to add on the noise which isn't already covered by those that have replied.
One thing I'd throw in though is to caution you to only engage the blower at a low RPM and then once running increase it from there.
Engaging it at a high RPM will not be good for the sprockets and chain and will shorten their life.

·
Premium Member
19,872 Posts
I have the same blower so I have nothing to add on the noise which isn't already covered by those that have replied.
One thing I'd throw in though is to caution you to only engage the blower at a low RPM and then once running increase it from there.
Engaging it at a high RPM will not be good for the sprockets and chain and will shorten their life.
All pto attachments for the 1025 should be started at Idle and turned off at Idle , not just the snowblower.

BUT a good point.

Reactions: DanMc

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 53 inch snowblower and have been fighting a loud rattling noise which seems to be coming from the midshaft pto, worse when in float position. I have been following conversations on this matter and today I cured it. With pto engaged, full throttle and snowblower down in float, I could clearly see the how much movement there was in the carrier assembly, it was shaking violently back and forth causing a lot of movement in the long pto shaft. If I raised the blower up slightly it put enough weight on the carrier assembly to stop the movement and all was quiet. This movement has to be causing premature wear on all the driveline components such as having to replace the 2 hexagonal bearings every year.

To fix this I simply put two washers (one on each side between the frame) and run the pin through the washer, the carrier now has zero movement and is solid. NOW the long pto has no possibility of lashing back and forth and the rattling noise is gone no matter what position the blower is in. I also did the same thing to the lift assembly hinge point to take all the movement out of it.

And on another note if you want to replace the hexagonal bearings with greasable bearings, go to your dealer and get (2) JD9407 bearings, (2) H93864 pressed flange housing (2) E54498 pressed flange housing and (2) 90 degree grease zerk. It's a direct bolt on with the only difference being the new flanges are round. A little over $70

·
Registered
37 Posts
Noises will resonate through the cab.
I do not have a cab on my 1025R. When I put my Curtis Cab on my x729 the engine and hydro noise is significantly increased. Have someone operate the blower while you stand outside and listen. If there are no grinding, growling or metallic noises, it's probably ok.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a 53 inch snowblower and have been fighting a loud rattling noise which seems to be coming from the midshaft pto, worse when in float position. I have been following conversations on this matter and today I cured it. With pto engaged, full throttle and snowblower down in float, I could clearly see the how much movement there was in the carrier assembly, it was shaking violently back and forth causing a lot of movement in the long pto shaft. If I raised the blower up slightly it put enough weight on the carrier assembly to stop the movement and all was quiet. This movement has to be causing premature wear on all the driveline components such as having to replace the 2 hexagonal bearings every year.

To fix this I simply put two washers (one on each side between the frame) and run the pin through the washer, the carrier now has zero movement and is solid. NOW the long pto has no possibility of lashing back and forth and the rattling noise is gone no matter what position the blower is in. I also did the same thing to the lift assembly hinge point to take all the movement out of it.

And on another note if you want to replace the hexagonal bearings with greasable bearings, go to your dealer and get (2) JD9407 bearings, (2) H93864 pressed flange housing (2) E54498 pressed flange housing and (2) 90 degree grease zerk. It's a direct bolt on with the only difference being the new flanges are round. A little over $70
THANKS for this info can you send pictures of where you put the washers , i think I know where but just wanted to check .
thanks again

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,081 Posts
Do you have any photos of this setup? Is JD9407 a hex bearing? Why are different flange housings required? Where do the zerk fittings attach?

·
Premium Member
17,081 Posts
And yes the JD9407 is the bearing
How does this differ from the stock setup? I don't see how grease is getting to the bearing by squirting it in between the two flanges.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The bearing has a small hole in it which is lined up with the grease zerk on the flange, I was asking the same questions to the JD parts man until I saw the bearing and flange at which time it became clear. Trust me, the grease goes into the bearing. This bearing set up is used on the hexigonal pto shaft on the feeder house of jd combines. Take the part numbers to your dealer and have them show you

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discovered this with my previous equipment (2305 with 47" snowblower. Especially loud with u-joints out of phase and snowblower raised.
Font Line Parallel Auto part Diagram

1 - 20 of 27 Posts