Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are in the midst of a major Snow Storm here in CT. Just wondering how much snow the 54 incher can handle at a time? Were are forecasted to get 18+ inches. About 8-10 on the ground now. I figure it could handle all at once ... however for the fun factor i may do it twice. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
So we are in the midst of a major Snow Storm here in CT. Just wondering how much snow the 54 incher can handle at a time? Were are forecasted to get 18+ inches. About 8-10 on the ground now. I figure it could handle all at once ... however for the fun factor i may do it twice. Thoughts?

What ever puts the biggest smile on your face. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Just go slow and let blower do its thing, it will throw whatever you put into it at the correct feed rate
I am in CT am going to wait till storm over, more challenging and fun....same tractor power just 47" blower....enjoy the seat time

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Just wondering how much snow the 54 incher can handle at a time?
It depends. Last January when we got 28 inches I was able to plow right through it taking full swaths with my 2720. I just went slow and allowed the blower to take in the snow at its own pace. The main shortcoming on the 54" blower is the height of the housing. It doesn't take very deep snow before it comes right back over the top and you start to tunnel. For the width of the blower it should have a taller housing. My old 33" MTD walk-behind has a taller housing than the JD 54" blower.

That's another area where rear blowers seemed to have an advantage.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I have yet to find too much snow for a blower. I clear my sidewalk wich can have a 4' pile. It may take 2 passes, the first on raised cutting through mid bank, then backing up letting to top remainder fall in and clearing that plus what was left under the blower on the first pass.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,717 Posts
I've found over the years, if I go out when 8-14" and then when so is over I can save time. Usually 5-8 hrs compared to doing every thing at the end of the snow storm.

Either way when I use the 47" have never found anytime it wouldn't handle.

So enjoy the seat time .

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Cool cool. We have 10" right now. Im gonna wait till its over. I blasted the whole housing with WD40 last night to make the blower extra slippery! Haha.

I usually go every 8" because it will go over the top of the blower if it gets much heavier. I enjoy being inside the cab and running the machine. why an edge cutter on only one side? Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
After the late December blizzards we had, I had drifts almost hood height on my 2320, and nondrift areas were about 18". Took a full pass no issues with the 54". That's the nice thing about HST, you can just crawl through it.

Around the dog kennel I plowed a path through the area that I had earlier blown snow into. That was like concrete and about 4' tall. There were a few times when I had to get off and knock the top down with a shovel as the blower tunneled under, and even with it raised the top was over the top of the spout! With it so hard, it just wouldn't fall on its own.

Only time it has struggled is when we got our "January thaw" and temps were in the high 30s. I wanted to clear the slush off the road before it froze, even at WOT it only tossed it about 15', and it plugged the blower housing a couple times. But that was REALLY wet snow.

·
Corndog Hater
11,687 Posts
I just went slow and allowed the blower to take in the snow at its own pace. The main shortcoming on the blower is the height of the housing. It doesn't take very deep snow before it comes right back over the top and you start to tunnel. For the width of the blower it should have a taller housing.

Yeah, what he said. ↑↑↑↑:good2:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It depends. Last January when we got 28 inches I was able to plow right through it taking full swaths with my 2720. I just went slow and allowed the blower to take in the snow at its own pace. The main shortcoming on the 54" blower is the height of the housing. It doesn't take very deep snow before it comes right back over the top and you start to tunnel. For the width of the blower it should have a taller housing. My old 33" MTD walk-behind has a taller housing than the JD 54" blower.

That's another area where rear blowers seemed to have an advantage.
That's one thing that still has me looking at rear blowers over my front mount...

I usually go every 8" because it will go over the top of the blower if it gets much heavier. I enjoy being inside the cab and running the machine. why an edge cutter on only one side? Have fun and be safe.
I think that's all they come with now... silly JD.

·
Registered
22,679 Posts
One thing to remember - you don't have to take full bites except for your first pass. With a really deep snow you can take 1/2 bite at a time if need be.

I am one to wait until it's over. No fun being out there in a blinding snow storm. We have awesome equipment that is more than capable to get it done afterward. For the folks with plows and blowers - worse case scenerio is to put your loader on if you can't handle it.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
I am one to wait until it's over. No fun being out there in a blinding snow storm.
Same here, get it all done at once. Standard practice for us open-station folks. Now if I had a heated cab I'd probably be making a pass every 2-3 inches. :yahoo:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It will digest whatever feeds into it. Just adjust your ground speed, and in really deep drifts you might have to take a few bites out of it. Mine has never, even once, clogged up or bogged down.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
One thing to remember - you don't have to take full bites except for your first pass. With a really deep snow you can take 1/2 bite at a time if need be.

I am one to wait until it's over. No fun being out there in a blinding snow storm. We have awesome equipment that is more than capable to get it done afterward. For the folks with plows and blowers - worse case scenerio is to put your loader on if you can't handle it.
We get major dumping's here so I like to stay ahead of the situation and as mentioned I have a cab and a cupholder. I don't like running over and compacting snow because it makes removing it on the next pass that much more difficult for me. I take my loader off here and install the blower because we just run out of places to put the snow so the blower is the best option here after a certain point. I guess that you would have to be here for one of these events to know what I am talking about!:dunno:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lucky son of a gun!

Go for AT LEAST two passes. I mean, after all, you want to do a good thorough job, right? :laugh:
And that is one sweet machine!
I was hoping to take a spin on my X310 with the very recently mounted 44 blower but alas, it was mostly rain and very big, wet snow that didn't to anything.
Perhaps I'll have a chance to use it at least once before it's time for fertilizer and mowing.

Regards

·
Registered
375 Posts
<snip> Why an edge cutter on only one side? Have fun and be safe.
They only come with one edge cutter. I bought a second one from GreenFarmParts and used the GTT discount code (7% off).

For convenience for the readers, here are some part numbers for a second blade (linked to GFP):

54" Snow Blower (John Deere Catalog #10426)

Here is the remote spout control kit (for adjusting the up and down movement of the chute from the seat. This kit is for the 1025R). See this post for pics: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/85001-hooking-up-54-snowblower-new-1025r-2.html#post1277449

• LVB26213 Remote Spout Cap Control Kit $203.31
And of course, shear bolts (keep in mind you have some spares mounted on the left side of the housing just below the spout):

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Cool cool. We have 10" right now. Im gonna wait till its over. I blasted the whole housing with WD40 last night to make the blower extra slippery! Haha.

Next time try Fluid Film on your blower. It last longer and also peotects more.:good2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts