Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at the beginning of this season, I installed the recommended John Deere Multch kit on my Autoconnect 60D. Overall, I have been impressed with how fine the multch kit cuts the grass as has been mentioned in other threads. One thing I have noticed is that I have to set the throttle RPM to wide open, and if the I am cutting more than an inch of grass, I have to slow down. Before the multch kit, I did not have to set the throttle wide open, and could mow taller grass without the mower bogging down. My question is this normal? My tractor has ~110 hours on it.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the mulch kit on my 54" deck connected to an X754. I always mow WOT. I also try not to mow if there is any moisture on the grass. The only time I slow down is when the grass is tall, say cutting more tha an inch, and the deck itself is due for a cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
I know it’s just a lowly X500 but I’ve had the factory mulch kit since new and of course always mow WOT. I have never experienced the mulching blades bogging down the engine even when mowing grass that is 6-8 inches tall.

I try to mow when the grass is dry but that isn’t always possible. The only issue with mulching wet grass is it sticks under the mower deck.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a 2025R with a 60" deck and mulch kit and I agree with the others, it has to be real tall and thick before mine bogs down at all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The other factor is what you are moving. Unfortunately, in my yard, the weeds spread throughout the summer. The weed variety I have grows with greater density than the lawn itself. So there's more work for the tractor later in the summer compared the beginning, all else equal.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The mulch kit really is forcing the blades to cut and re-cut and re-cut the same materials, verses simply cutting them and discharging them. I could see how the load would be greater simply because you aren't discharging the volume you have cut and you continue to cut it until you pass over the area.

I always mow at WOT, it produces the best result

I always mow with Gator Blades and it produces far smaller clippings which prevent the windrow effect from happening

I always mow with the chute deflector up, as it provides a better wide discharge of the clippings which means less thatch, better appearing result, etc.

Yes, mowing with the chute deflector up adds danger and its also important to prevent clippings from getting in flower beds, etc. My mower has a foot operated door which you can close over the discharge area of the deck to make it a mulching deck (temporarily) and to prevent blowing the clippings where you don't want them. As soon as you are past the flower bed, hot tub, swimming pool or the money trees growing money, then the door opens back up and the clippings resume exiting the deck discharge area.

Often, you need to try different approaches and methods to see if you get the results you are seeking. Also, make sure to keep the underside of the deck clean as the grass clumps start to accumulate, you drastically reduce the work area for the clippings to be cut over and over. When I have seen enough load to notice a reduction in engine speed, its usually because the mower is trying to handle more grass than it has room to do so, because of the grass being thick, tall, damp or wet and of course, the deck being plugged up with clumps...........

Exmark Lazer Z X-Series OCDC Chute Review - YouTube

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
With no offense intended, when you installed the mulch kit did all the blades get put back on right side up? On some decks, it's pretty easy to absentmindedly reinstall one or all the blades upside-down. The deck will still cut grass, but there is a noticeable difference in performance. At least there was for this guy I know. :lol:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I mowed with mine upside down for a year. It actually mulched pretty good. :lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
So which way are the blades supposed to be? Probably a good idea to shed some light on this.

·
Premium Member
12,253 Posts
So which way are the blades supposed to be? Probably a good idea to shed some light on this.
The flat side should always go towards the ground and the beveled side should go towards the tractor. If there is an up-swept shape to the end of the blade that needs to go towards the tractor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I have the mulch kit on my 1026R 60D. I do not mow at WOT, and I do not go slow. I usually mow at 2700-2900 RPM. Anything more than that is just generating noise in my experience. If there's some really heavy tall weeds I'm trying to knock down, I'll push it up to WOT. Typical mowing I do in high gear and 5-7mph. Same exact experience on my old 425... not WOT and not slow!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
My mower has a foot operated door which you can close over the discharge area of the deck to make it a mulching deck (temporarily) and to prevent blowing the clippings where you don't want them. As soon as you are past the flower bed, hot tub, swimming pool or the money trees growing money, then the door opens back up and the clippings resume exiting the deck discharge area.

Exmark Lazer Z X-Series OCDC Chute Review - YouTube
I'm liking this chute idea :bigthumb: Anything to help the money trees grow :laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With no offense intended, when you installed the mulch kit did all the blades get put back on right side up? On some decks, it's pretty easy to absentmindedly reinstall one or all the blades upside-down. The deck will still cut grass, but there is a noticeable difference in performance. At least there was for this guy I know. :lol:
Yes, the blades are all on correctly. Thanks for asking. You make a good point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts