Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to notice this sign over the ratchet straps at my local TSC store. I generally like TSC stores but they should be ashamed to have this exhibit in their stores. I just hope some newbie does't take this as visual guidance on how to tie down a tractor and FEL.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I happened to notice this sign over the ratchet straps at my local TSC store. I generally like TSC stores but they should be ashamed to have this exhibit in their stores. I just hope some newbie does't take this as visual guidance on how to tie down a tractor and FEL.
Actually, for a tractor which is tied down, the picture serves as a perfect example of how NOT to secure such a load.......

Is the sign you mentioned for a brand of strap they sell? Otherwise, I wonder why its there?

Gee, right over the fenders as well.......As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a Maroon"....:banghead:.

It reminds me of the episode of Yellowstone last night on the Paramount Network. One of the characters was shown with an older tractor, kind of like the one in the "sign" image and he was trying to pull a stump out with the chains hooked to the 3 point arms.....Sure enough, he walked the tractor over backwards, but wasn't hurt.

But the moment they showed him pulling on the stump, I said to Mrs. Bear, "That's exactly how you don't attempt to do that?" She replied "Why?" and just then, the tractor flipped.......and I said "because of that"........

Of course, then the guy took a 5 gallon bucket of Tannerite and blew a moon crater in his property. And in typical Hollywood fashion, in the crater which the explosion created, of course there are dinosaur bones and a skeleton just waiting to be excavated.......:cookoo::snipersmilie:

(We need a barfing out of disgust smily guy).....

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
That guy in the pic of the ad should not be allow to continue to exist. He is a danger to himself and anyone else around him.

SB, I tried to watch the first episode of Yellowstone, but got so disgusted, I stopped less than half way through the 2 hour initial episode and will not watch any of the following episodes. Doesn't both me too much as I rarely watch TV anyway. There was no continuity of plot, just a lot of jumping around without any reason for it. The program was just a good example of why I rarely watch TV anymore. For example, when the guy put the Y brand on that guys chest, why was he doing that?

Dave

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
That guy in the pic of the ad should not be allow to continue to exist. He is a danger to himself and anyone else around him.

SB, I tried to watch the first episode of Yellowstone, but got so disgusted, I stopped less than half way through the 2 hour initial episode and will not watch any of the following episodes. Doesn't both me too much as I rarely watch TV anyway. There was no continuity of plot, just a lot of jumping around without any reason for it. The program was just a good example of why I rarely watch TV anymore. For example, when the guy put the Y brand on that guys chest, why was he doing that?

Dave
It's part of a "special group" of Cowboy's who work for Kevin Costner and they do all of the stuff necessary which isn't "legal"........The guy who got branded in his trailer is the son of a friend of Costner's character who has been in trouble and the dad can't do anything to get him under control. So he asked Costner's character to "take him under his wing" and the big guy with the beard who was "visiting with" Costner's character slut daughter, is in charge of this group of "outside the law" Cowboys.

The "Y" is for Yellowstone, the name of the ranch owned by Costner's character in the show.

They dynamited the mountain at the end of the first episode, rerouting the river when the developer told Costner that he would build a development and take the river from Costner's ranch. Well, it flows across Costner's ranch before the potential development property so the Cowboys went up in the hills and changed the course of the river......

Actually, the plot fits together, just that they introduced everything all at once, which wasn't a smart way to do it. Too many different story lines, but a couple are now developing and one looks like it's already run its course. The character who plays his daughter is such a disgusting slut I find her enough to lose interest in the show. Plus, the older son who is the lawyer looks like they painted his hair on. It looks very unnatural and I don't know why it looks like that. He has helmet head that's jet black. Very odd.

Last night, Costner did have to exhume his son's body who he just buried as a result of a shooting over their cattle as Costner wasn't going to allow the authorities to get their hands on it for subsequent exams and autopsy work. So they put his body into a portable cremation machine used for livestock and that's the end of that, as they say.........

·
Premium Member
4,757 Posts
Oh dear. If there are any US citizens who work for smart straps they should be happy they spelled smart correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I needed some of those straps,,,

What I see is an upright one that needs help.

The flat ones are fine without an extrodenary event. It’s not your livelihood, and in normal travel nothing will move. I cannot really fault you. Even a 2” strap the long way is security theater.

To the op, the rear strap is a real issue over the fenders that can bend instead of cut and still release straps. On the front is struggle to do much better without chain.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Those must be real strong fenders:laugh:. Tractor looks to far back on the trailer too:nunu:. Probably way to little tongue weight. I bet he wonders why it sways so bad :laugh:

·
Registered
837 Posts
They should have just run one strap through the steering wheel and called it good!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
It's part of a "special group" of Cowboy's who work for Kevin Costner and they do all of the stuff necessary which isn't "legal"........The guy who got branded in his trailer is the son of a friend of Costner's character who has been in trouble and the dad can't do anything to get him under control. So he asked Costner's character to "take him under his wing" and the big guy with the beard who was "visiting with" Costner's character slut daughter, is in charge of this group of "outside the law" Cowboys.

The "Y" is for Yellowstone, the name of the ranch owned by Costner's character in the show.

They dynamited the mountain at the end of the first episode, rerouting the river when the developer told Costner that he would build a development and take the river from Costner's ranch. Well, it flows across Costner's ranch before the potential development property so the Cowboys went up in the hills and changed the course of the river......

Actually, the plot fits together, just that they introduced everything all at once, which wasn't a smart way to do it. Too many different story lines, but a couple are now developing and one looks like it's already run its course. The character who plays his daughter is such a disgusting slut I find her enough to lose interest in the show. Plus, the older son who is the lawyer looks like they painted his hair on. It looks very unnatural and I don't know why it looks like that. He has helmet head that's jet black. Very odd.

Last night, Costner did have to exhume his son's body who he just buried as a result of a shooting over their cattle as Costner wasn't going to allow the authorities to get their hands on it for subsequent exams and autopsy work. So they put his body into a portable cremation machine used for livestock and that's the end of that, as they say.........
No harm in a little bit of slutty activity :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know it’s fun to look at a picture like that and say “What were you thinking? Obviously not thinking!

On a more somber note not tieing down your whatever can be life threatening. Last week in metro Mpls-St Paul a guy was hauling some landscape boulders in a truck with sideboards, went over some railroad tracks and an 1100 lb boulder popped out of the back bounced a couple of times and went threw the windshield of an oncoming car killing 2 women. They have video of the guy driving with nothing strapped down before the deaths and then a few minutes after of him pulled into a driveway strapping down the remains boulders. He tried to hide at a relatives house but was arrested the next day and charged with two counts of vehicular homicide.

The next day I had to haul some tables and chairs, I spent five extra minutes making sure nothing could move.

Today I’m looking at this forum for tips on trailering my tractor.

I’m also looking for a different trailer for my 1025r. Depending on what implements I have attached I may be over the trailer rating and was considering not changing trailers. Chances are I might be over by 200 lbs. I’ve totally changed my thought process because of the aforementioned deaths and will not under any circumstances pull a trailer that is even 1 pound overloaded or has any item not securely strapped down.

Trailering is serious business and “It’s good enough” will never be my consideration again.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Overweight trailers

I know it’s fun to look at a picture like that and say “What were you thinking? Obviously not thinking!

On a more somber note not tieing down your whatever can be life threatening. Last week in metro Mpls-St Paul a guy was hauling some landscape boulders in a truck with sideboards, went over some railroad tracks and an 1100 lb boulder popped out of the back bounced a couple of times and went threw the windshield of an oncoming car killing 2 women. They have video of the guy driving with nothing strapped down before the deaths and then a few minutes after of him pulled into a driveway strapping down the remains boulders. He tried to hide at a relatives house but was arrested the next day and charged with two counts of vehicular homicide.

The next day I had to haul some tables and chairs, I spent five extra minutes making sure nothing could move.

Today I’m looking at this forum for tips on trailering my tractor.

I’m also looking for a different trailer for my 1025r. Depending on what implements I have attached I may be over the trailer rating and was considering not changing trailers. Chances are I might be over by 200 lbs. I’ve totally changed my thought process because of the aforementioned deaths and will not under any circumstances pull a trailer that is even 1 pound overloaded or has any item not securely strapped down.

Trailering is serious business and “It’s good enough” will never be my consideration again.
I recently picked up some crushed stone at a local distributor on my dump trailer. I told the young lady at the scales what I wanted as I know exactly how much my GVW can be. However, when she relayed the information to the loader operator, somehow he heard one ton more than what she said. So, he loads my trailer a ton over. I looked at it and knew it was over but went back over the scales anyway to confirm and told the young lady I was going back to the pile to dump the excess. While dumping the loader operator drove up and apologized for the error, looked at my truck and trailer and said, "Aww, you'd be ok anyway. Most of the guys drive out of here with the trucks sitting on the axles, not the springs." Unfortunately, I'll bet he was correct but I kept on dumping until I got down to GVW.

BTW, going back over the scales an extra time or two isn't so bad and the young lady running the scales is quite attractive. My neighbor bought two extra tons of landscape stone because of her. . . He didn't need them, didn't really have a place for them but for some reason, he bought extra anyway.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
322 Posts
Those must be real strong fenders:laugh:. Tractor looks to far back on the trailer too:nunu:. Probably way to little tongue weight. I bet he wonders why it sways so bad :laugh:
That trailer is loaded properly. The load is no way near tied down correctly, but the trailer is properly loaded. The goal is to have the weight over the axles or just slightly forward of that. Don't forget you have in this case about a 5 foot tongue too which will account for a portion of your tongue weight, You also have the heaviest part of the tractor (engine and FEL) forward of the front axle. I'll bet this trailer towed like a dream until the tractor fell off of it.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Happened last weekend

Western NY , route 104. If boats can fly, so can tractors. Hand me the chains and binders. This guy was lucky no one was injured. Good luck explaining this to your insurance agent. Thank God he was not on the interstate.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi All
I used load straps for a couple of years while transporting my 1025R. But after inspecting them I noticed a colour change ( They had faded) also some ware, at what point should you toss them? I don't know. So I changed to chains and load binders. The trailer I use has 4 rated tie down points welded into the floor, I use two modified load binders (Pictured Below) at the front hooked back to the FEL posts, and a chain at the back through a bow shackle on the tow hitch. Loading is very quick and easy.:good2:
Regards John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Hi All
I used load straps for a couple of years while transporting my 1025R. But after inspecting them I noticed a colour change ( They had faded) also some ware, at what point should you toss them? I don't know. So I changed to chains and load binders. The trailer I use has 4 rated tie down points welded into the floor, I use two modified load binders (Pictured Below) at the front hooked back to the FEL posts, and a chain at the back through a bow shackle on the tow hitch. Loading is very quick and easy.:good2:
Regards John
The yellow web material used in tie down binders is weaken by UV damage. How much strength is lost is dependent on how much UV damage has occurred.

The question is, how much does UV damage effect strength. According the the WSTDA (web sling and tie down association), the safety factor of any web material tie down is 3 : 1. This simply means the rated capacity of the web material ratchet binder is 1/3 of the breaking strength of the material. So, when you are working these types of tie downs at their full rated capacity, you are working it at 1/3 of its breaking strength.

The material used in these types of tie downs is the same material used in web material rigging material. The only difference is, when used in rigging, the safety factor is 5 : 1.

So, back to UV damage. The Web Sling and Tie Down Association and I and I Sling did some extensive testing several years ago concerning UV damage. Here are the results.

Up to a 30% loss in a polyester web sling within a 12 month period

Up to a 60% loss
in nylon web slings after 12-36 months

So, as you can see, UV damage is no joke. In fact, UV damage can be worse than a minor cut, not to say you should use synthetics with cuts.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with synthetic tie downs, but you must be careful to not run them over sharp edges and if you do, you have to put protectors between the webbing and sharp edge.

Also, if they are sun faded, you should probably get rid of them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi All
Hi Ray_ PA You have described the problems with webbing ratchet straps very well. I worked in the oil industry as a fitter with a rigging ticket, all our synthetic slings (ie webbing and rope) had a maximum 12 month service life if undamaged, if damaged they were discarded immediately. However chain slings were returned to the sling store every 12 months for inspection, recertified and returned to service if no problems were found, some timed hooks were replaced if worn.
Chains are easy to inspect compared to webbing straps.
Always use good quality grade 70 chain, it will have stamps on links at various intervals. If you purchase a new chain and want do proper checks on it regularly, lay the chain out on flat ground and with it under slight tension measure it and record the length. Then every 12 months or if you suspect damage, measure it and check the links for damage. If this measurement changes or you find damaged links you must then decide whether it is worth putting your pride and joy at risk by using this chain again.:dunno:
How do you check webbing ratchet straps? Do you check for cuts and ware every time you use them and replace them every 12 months or so?:dunno:
Regards John

·
Registered
570 Posts
That boat over the truck incident, that happens more often then not. Although I've never seen it happen with a boat of that size being launched the way he did. I sure as hell would not want to be the one explaining to my insurance!! Speaking of the over the truck boat launching, I seen this on the news the day it happened. As did my wife.

The next morning my wife was on her way to work. It was early morning, so traffic lights were flashing. My wife was in the yellow flashing. She slowed..the proceeded. Out of no where comes a truck with a Bayliner....running the red flashing light. All my wife seen was hull as she experienced the full effectiveness of anti-lock brakes, stopping about 6" from the side of the boat trailer going by at about 40mph in a 30mph zone. Close call. The guy never slowed down. Ever since that morning (it's fishing season) I tell my wife every morning that I lover her. And to watch for flying boats. :lol:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Regarding that boat crash... There is another pic around showing the pickup in front of the white truck that the boat actually landed on. That truck (a black one) was moved before these pics were taken. Wrecked two Rams for the price of one. :-(

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts