Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor had one of his customers deliver their tractor for repair. It had rained the night before. Here was the end result.

Tractor rollover .jpg

Tractor rollover2 .jpg

He ended up trapped under the tractor, called 911 and they removed from the beneath the tractor. Fortunately for him all he got was a sprained back nd a few bruises. If you look into the picture he actually parked on a hill. I have no idea what made him do that. Wet trailer, parked on a hillside ended up a disaster for him and the tractor. But overall he is doing good. Thee tractor was a 2040 series.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I'd say he's lucky to still be with us !

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
WTF? :think:

Um...there's a bit more going on there than an unwelcome hill. That trailer should be red tagged for repair before anything is loaded on it.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow, as big a pain as the ROPS is at times it sure would have been handy on this older machine.

Few more repairs in order.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
That guy is one lucky SOB. That looks like death to any operator. I’m glad he made it out ok. :thumbup1gif:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,420 Posts
That is just plain scary!!!
One lucky dude to make it out from under there with just bumps and bruises, the Good Lord was with him.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Wow everything looks wrong with that scene. No sense playing the lottery, he done spent all his luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm with everyone else in thinking he's really lucky. I just don't understand why guys use those mobile home axles on trailers they are hauling equipment on.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
That is just plain scary!!!
One lucky dude to make it out from under there with just bumps and bruises, the Good Lord was with him.
Agree with that statement, He better get down on his knees this evening and Thank the Good Lord for being alive.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Agree with that statement, He better get down on his knees this evening and Thank the Good Lord for being alive.
...and every evening after.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm with everyone else in thinking he's really lucky. I just don't understand why guys use those mobile home axles on trailers they are hauling equipment on.
Because they are cheap and pretty robust. I lost a complete axle on my Haulmark Trailer once, it was a Dexter Torsion axle. It was $1k to replace and went through a hassle to actually find one. Ended up going straight to Dexter and had them ship it to a trailer dealer, it was a 6 week process which was no big deal except I was on the road moving between Texas and NC. So trying to get a proper axle, especially for a trailer that big is expensive and time consuming. I am quite sure that is a home built goose neck so I am also quite sure they were on a "budget" and used what as available and those axles may have been freebies. While the trailer looks like a POS I am sure it does the job they intended it for just don't pass a State Trooper on an interstate with it. I think the operators mistake was parking on a slope and trying to unload, especially with a wet deck. I always try to unload on flat terrain. If I can't unload on flat terrain then I either unload going up hill (assuming I have self propelled load) or straight down hill (assuming I have load with working brakes). I would never unload on a cross slope like that, especially with a big tractor like that. Thank God he will live to tell about it.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
I'd say he's lucky to still be with us !
Indeed . . . I'm wondering where the failure was, trailer, tractor, operator? The good Lord was watching out for that guy.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Its most likely just an older trailer. Those may look like whats used on mobile homes, but Ive seen several older equipment trailers from various manufacturers that use similar axles. Demolition company I used to work for had one like this. VERY heavy duty trailer. Certainly not the same flimsy axles used to transport mobile homes, even though the appearance is similar. Its generally not an issue, except for having tires replaced and finding someone familiar with working on the old style wheels, and certainly had no effect on this incident. New or old, the problem is the same. Wet and slick wood deck + slope = bad day.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The trailer is a legit trailer. Bought from a trailer manufacturer with those wheels on them. The board that you see torn off is from the tractor frame that caught that board on it's way off the trailer. The biggest issue was that the trailer was wet from rain and that, the biggest problem, he unloaded it on a very steep hill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
At first glance the first picture it didn't look too hilly. Then I saw where the camera wasn't level with deck so it was deceiving. Second picture you see how hilly it is. Like everyone said, how lucky that man is , it's just hard to imagine. Anyone looking at that would say someone perished or was severely injured. He better not miss one church Sunday from now on! Whew!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Because they are cheap and pretty robust. I lost a complete axle on my Haulmark Trailer once, it was a Dexter Torsion axle. It was $1k to replace and went through a hassle to actually find one. Ended up going straight to Dexter and had them ship it to a trailer dealer, it was a 6 week process which was no big deal except I was on the road moving between Texas and NC. So trying to get a proper axle, especially for a trailer that big is expensive and time consuming. I am quite sure that is a home built goose neck so I am also quite sure they were on a "budget" and used what as available and those axles may have been freebies. While the trailer looks like a POS I am sure it does the job they intended it for just don't pass a State Trooper on an interstate with it. I think the operators mistake was parking on a slope and trying to unload, especially with a wet deck. I always try to unload on flat terrain. If I can't unload on flat terrain then I either unload going up hill (assuming I have self propelled load) or straight down hill (assuming I have load with working brakes). I would never unload on a cross slope like that, especially with a big tractor like that. Thank God he will live to tell about it.

Like you said there cheap, and durable. Most of those tires are 8-10 ply. My bother Inlaw picks them up at auctions and builds home made sprayers using these axles.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The only reason I mentioned the axles was because of the 7x14.5 tires they use on them. When I was in the commercial tire business in the 80s the only tires that were made for the wheels weren't rated for highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on operator

I spoke to my neighbor yesterday. He gave me more information. The tractor was stuck in reverse, so the driver thought that he would put it on a hill to unlock it from being in reverse. He unstrapped the tractor, climbed aboard started the tractor and it began rolling off the tractor. He jumped off the tractor only to be in the way it was rolling. He was pinned under the wheel until fire rescue arrived to lift the tractor enough to pull him out. They actuall ended up life flighting him to Northern Virginia NOVAC where he was found to have crushed his pelvis. He is now in recover but will survive the incident.

This is actually a lesson for all of us. I just happened to know the operator of the tractor. Went to school with him. His family has been in farming/orchards all their lives, are big into FFH and all the farm shows in the area. So they guy was experienced being around equipment. He just made a bad mistake of trying to unload something on a hill on a wet day with a tractor that had a problem of being stuck in gear. So to say, it can happen to the best of us that have experience, fortunatly for him he survived, he will just have a long time to heal from the incident.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Its most likely just an older trailer. Those may look like whats used on mobile homes, but Ive seen several older equipment trailers from various manufacturers that use similar axles. Demolition company I used to work for had one like this. VERY heavy duty trailer. Certainly not the same flimsy axles used to transport mobile homes, even though the appearance is similar. Its generally not an issue, except for having tires replaced and finding someone familiar with working on the old style wheels, and certainly had no effect on this incident. New or old, the problem is the same. Wet and slick wood deck + slope = bad day.
I spoke to my neighbor yesterday. He gave me more information. The tractor was stuck in reverse, so the driver thought that he would put it on a hill to unlock it from being in reverse. He unstrapped the tractor, climbed aboard started the tractor and it began rolling off the tractor [trailer].
Thanks for the explanations!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts