Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how often you grease your front end loader/backhoe? I've been trying to grease mine fairly regularly and it is starting to become a mess. I have a 4110 with 410 loader and 46 backhoe and it seems whenever I get close to it i develop a grease stain on my shirt...lol I seem to have grease coming out from around pins etc. Is there a way that this can be easily cleaned? In the spring I'm going to use some heavy degreaser on it, but it just seems like it will redevelop with regular maintenance...

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Hey Bob
I don't know for sure,but I think it's a good thing to see the grease coming out. Kind of like the new grease pushing out the old stuff. I'll usually grease my FEL twice in a summer. Especially if I use it alot. I like using JD's HD moly grease for the FEL,and the Polyurea for everything else.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I grease my FEL multiple times every season when in use. And yes, it can get messy around the joints. I usually wipe them down with a paper towel after greasing. If you use a degreaser like Simple Green, beware. Lots of grease balls will be all over the place on the ground. It seems like they never go away except on the bottom of your shoes and into the house. :nunu:

I usually scrape the joints removing all of the excess grease then wipe the joints down with paper towels, Then I use Simple Green to remove any remaining grease. Then after pressure washing the FEL down I grease all of the joints to make sure any trapped water is pushed out.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
You raise a good question.:thumbup1gif:

Since I park my tractor outdoors and only sometimes under a tarp, I probably overgrease. I average every 2-3 weeks and usually at the end of the weekend since it usually sits idle during the work week. I may hit whichever end I use more after each heavy use. I like having more grease in the joints to keep the rain out.

I'll wipe each fitting before and after greasing, and wipe the joints with a rag or paper towel. Yeah, I get grease on myself when I'm moving around it, but that's just part of using a tractor I guess.:laugh:

Not sure which grease is best, I bought JD multipurpose (I think) and I have tubes of JD water resistant and also JD extreme duty synthetic.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Really depends mostly on when I think of it. I like to go about every 10-20 hours of use, but it really depends on what I'm doing. If I'm just brush hogging that entire time, there's no since in greasing, if I just did 10 hours of digging with my backhoe, it's definitely time to grease. You can never put too much grease on (well, it won't hurt the tractor, just your pocket book) but I'd rather pay the insurance and not have a pin seize.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
752 Posts
This may sound dumb, but don't your owners manuals say how often you should grease your tractor? I don't have John Deere tractors, but all of my different brand tractors manuals say every 8-10 hours. And just because you should grease that often doesn't mean that you have to put 10 pumps of grease in each fitting, just enough that you see some come out. Might be 2 pumps, might be 10 or more, it all depends on how hard that joint was worked. But it is best to be sure that everything is greased all the time to get the most total hours of use possible from your machine. :bye:

·
Registered
59 Posts
This may sound dumb, but don't your owners manuals say how often you should grease your tractor? I don't have John Deere tractors, but all of my different brand tractors manuals say every 8-10 hours. And just because you should grease that often doesn't mean that you have to put 10 pumps of grease in each fitting, just enough that you see some come out. Might be 2 pumps, might be 10 or more, it all depends on how hard that joint was worked. But it is best to be sure that everything is greased all the time to get the most total hours of use possible from your machine. :bye:
You are probably right, but the way I use the FEL it is a little use here and a little there. Hard to keep up with the actual hours. And you are also correct about the amount to grease to use. I'm too cheap to waste anything so I do as you said, just enough to see it coming out. However, with use, the grease does ooze out on the outside at the perfect spot to get on your shirt. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I grease everything every ten hours. May be overkill but it can't hurt.
That's what the manual says (for the 200CX on my 2520 anyway). Depending on what I'm doing, I may grease it more frequently. I was running the FEL in some deep muck for a project and I was greasing it every time I used it (maybe only 3-4 hours between use).

As for DEgreasing everything to get the old grease off, I personally would not do that. Just wipe it off with a paper towel if it bothers you. The last thing you'd want to do is remove grease from those pins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.