Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to order some parts this week and decided that while I was at it, I would correct this horrible mistake that JD made...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393096259.613884.jpg

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bio is fine. Don't need to pay the taxes for the on road diesel though.

I associate the color difference as on vs off road diesel, as I know that the taxed diesel pumps have the green handles and have had many years prior to bio diesel becoming popular.

So is that what deere defines the colors as? Bio vs non-bio?

Jeff

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Bio is fine. Don't need to pay the taxes for the on road diesel though.

I associate the color difference as on vs off road diesel, as I know that the taxed diesel pumps have the green handles and have had many years prior to bio diesel becoming popular.

So is that what deere defines the colors as? Bio vs non-bio?

Jeff

I always thought the new green caps that are appearing means it is bio diesel compatable, but it could be the green cap is some international standard, as we move to a new world order.
I have to go stock my bunker now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Red- Gasoline
Green - Diesel
I believe this is the new standard... Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

When my dealer dropped off my machine they told me not to put off road diesel into it until after the warranty is over. They stated that, if I ever had starting issues or anything dealing with the motor and/or fuel system, John Deere would void the warranty if they saw died fluids in the tank. I would hate to see what they would say and do if they say bio-diesel in the tank.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Red- Gasoline
Green - Diesel

When my dealer dropped off my machine they told me not to put off road diesel into it until after the warranty is over. They stated that, if I ever had starting issues or anything dealing with the motor and/or fuel system, John Deere would void the warranty if they saw died fluids in the tank. I would hate to see what they would say and do if they say bio-diesel in the tank.
That makes me angry to hear that. There is no difference between off road and on road diesel besides the dye. I also try to avoid bio blends, but check your operator manual, and I bet it says blends up to 5 % bio are OK, and blends up to 20% are OK with a dealer installed kit (which I think might be a fuel heater). I bet there is no mention of OFF road or ON road. Deere usually just lists the specs for the fuel that they require, like cetane and lubricity.
Your dealer is stuck in the 80's

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Red- Gasoline
Green - Diesel

My dealer and service manager asked me what I used and told them I used Off Road ,,, They told me no problem , because that is what they was going to recommend if I used on road.. Agree color of fuel is the only difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That makes me angry to hear that. There is no difference between off road and on road diesel besides the dye. I also try to avoid bio blends, but check your operator manual, and I bet it says blends up to 5 % bio are OK, and blends up to 20% are OK with a dealer installed kit (which I think might be a fuel heater). I bet there is no mention of OFF road or ON road. Deere usually just lists the specs for the fuel that they require, like cetane and lubricity.
Your dealer is stuck in the 80's
I grew up on a farm... We had off road diesel delivered by the thousands of gallons and ran it through all the tractors no problems.

From Manual
Sulfur content

Diesel fuel quality and fuel sulfur content must comply with all existing emissions regulations for the area in which the engine operates.
Use only ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel with a maximum of 0.0015% (15mg/kg) sulfur content.

IMPORTANT: Avoid injury! Do not mix diesel engine oil or any other type of lubricating oil with diesel fuel.

Using Bio-Diesel Fuel

Bio-diesel fuels may be used only if the bio-diesel fuel properties meet the latest edition of ASTM D6751, ASTM D7467, EN14214, or equivalent specification.

The current maximum allowable bio-diesel concentration is a 5% blend (also known as B5) in petroleum diesel fuel.

Concentrations up to B20 may be used if machine is modified with genuine John Deere B20 kit. Use of B6-B20 fuel will require maintenance interval changes from some components, and special procedures for fuel handling and machine storage.

I believe the off road diesel in my area is not Ultra Low sulfur... I believe it is just Low Sulfur. That could be why the dealer said not to use off road until after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think all diesel in North America is ULSD, and has been for a few years.
I'll try to get some numbers off my HHO supplier after the winter to see what additives are used in HHO, Off-road and on-road diesel.

·
Administrator
20,713 Posts
I think all diesel in North America is ULSD, and has been for a few years.
This is 100% correct.

The only difference in on-road fuel and off is taxes, dye, and lower possible standards (but usually not) and usually it's the same exact fuel in most areas. Check with your supplier for sure. A few years ago I used to use HHO for everything. It was the exact same fuel across the board. Wasn't even dyed. But that was in my area and I knew the distributors and the system.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Thankfully we don't have to put DEF in them....yet.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Thankfully we don't have to put DEF in them....yet.
Yea that would have been a pain ,,I may have looked at another brand if I had to put DEF in even every 150 hrs. or so.

·
584 Posts
Not really a bio diesel thing. Deere did this on the 1025rs because of the amount of gasoline being put into tractors(dont laugh). Most diesel pumps have the deisel labeled in green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not really a bio diesel thing. Deere did this on the 1025rs because of the amount of gasoline being put into tractors(dont laugh). Most diesel pumps have the deisel labeled in green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk
Whats interesting is in Canada all the pumps are yellow.

·
Administrator
17,986 Posts
Most diesel fuel jugs are yellow, gasoline is red, and K1 is blue. We should have more constancy IMHO.

·
Administrator
20,713 Posts
Most diesel fuel jugs are yellow, gasoline is red, and K1 is blue. We should have more constancy IMHO.
One can modify their cans, caps, whatever with something like this plastic paint. It's not the best solution, but it's a good interim solution.

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here in OK, yellow is typically E85. Green is diesel. At least at one station. And at that particular station, you might get gasoline even though you select the diesel pump!!!! Don't ask how I know that!

IIRC, BP stations all have green handles. That ticked me off the first time I pulled in and tried to find the diesel pump!!!!

I knew the 7 series garden tractors had the red cap. And from what I've seen, they've changed those to green also now.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Careful talking like that Kenny, the government may hear you. We don't want to end up with another needless piece of legislation.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts