Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been pushing a path into our nieghboring woods for a while, getting side tracked quite a bit. Ran into old bamboo piles, grade changes, rock out croppings. Finally at the old garden area that is completely over grown. It was a large probably 200-ft by 200-ft clearing on a slope that had a path going down to the stream at the bottom of the valley. So far I have been using the bucket and bulldozing the crap out of the way and pushing it to the side. This however has left me with a dirt trail. This land is owned by a neighbor however this portion is an easement granted to the neighborhood for an old horse path. My thought was to bush hog this with the MX-6 however I'm leery what I'm going to run into back there. Stumps, fence posts, rocks etc. I would have no choice based on the slope but to back into the brush. This would leave the vegitation on the ground. The other option is to doze it out with the bucket and pull it back with the grapple to chop up with the bush hog in the clearing, but this will leave me with a bunch of raw disturbed land and I would kind of like to avoid that. Do you think I can back the rotary cutter into this debris up high and slowly to get a better feel for it? Its up to 6' tall.
Plant Green Leaf Botany Vegetation

Plant Sky Natural landscape Land lot Tree

Plant Green Vehicle Tree Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
From the sounds of it I wouldn't risk finding stuff with the rotary cutter.

Since you have a grapple I'd rake it up and haul it to a place it could be burnt.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the sounds of it I wouldn't risk finding stuff with the rotary cutter.

Since you have a grapple I'd rake it up and haul it to a place it could be burnt.
Im leaning to agree. Is there any reason to not grapple the stuff out into an open area and use the rotary cutter to mulch it down , where it could be pushed out of the way? I'm not able to burn in the People's Republic of Montgomery county

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
Is there any reason to not grapple the stuff out into an open area and use the rotary cutter to mulch it down
That would work. At least that way you can sort out the stuff you can't mow like rocks and other debris. After you go over it the first time with the cutter you could push the stuff back into a windrow and chop it again.

Might be worth renting a big chipper for a day and just grind it all up at once.

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
Were you just finding piles of old bamboo, or were you finding growing bamboo? Bamboo is not something you want to shred, it will turn into incredibly sharp splinters that will harden and resist decomposition.
Yikes. Did not know that.

In picture #2 you can see growing bamboo.

Good catch.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
13,894 Posts
This land is owned by a neighbor however this portion is an easement granted to the neighborhood for an old horse path.
I am surprised that an easement gives you the right to clear property that is not yours.
My take is he is clearing the easement that has apparently been left unmaintained so that it can be used again.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Probably have to maintain it themselves.
I’d go in there with an excavator with thumb and not shove debris off to the side onto the neighbors property unless he gave you written permission to do so. As far as having slash piles, haul it off or get a chipper and re apply it back on the bare spots

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were you just finding piles of old bamboo, or were you finding growing bamboo? Bamboo is not something you want to shred, it will turn into incredibly sharp splinters that will harden and resist decomposition.
Active bamboo growing as well as old piles. We have at least gotten that separated. I heeded the advice given before and left it alone vs trying to cut it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My take is he is clearing the easement that has apparently been left unmaintained so that it can be used again.
This is correct, there are two property owners as well as myself that all adjoin on the path. It used to be walkable all the way around the main nieghboring propery. I asked the owners last year if they would like the path opened back up when I had time. Weve all been nieghbors for 38 years. The goal was to clear out 15 years of debris, let it grow back in, to become a mowable path again.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Bamboo is incredibly invasive and difficult to control. If you can find an herbicide that will kill it, I wouldn't hesitate to try and wipe it out, and be prepared to battle it over the next few years. If you're diligent, you might be able to control it

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
If I understand correct, if it is an old trail, the trail is still there, you are just reclaiming it right?

You could pull debris back with the grapple onto an area of the trail you know is clean, then turn around and back over them with the cutter a few times to chop it up. It would take a while but little by little you will get through it. That does look pretty rough. Looks like kudzu or honeysuckle vines, maybe some wisteria (spelling?)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah, backing into unknown stuff with a brush cutter is bad news. I was cleaning up my place a few years ago and first
I found where the previous owner disposed of all his old damaged hose (he was a landscaper and there was at least 400 feet of it!).
Spent half a day removing all the hose chunks out from under the cutter, removed all the hose and tried again. 5 feet further back, I
found his broken concrete dump. My brush cutter still has a couple of 3/4 inch deep dents to remember that by.... A year later
I was backing into some blackberry that I KNEW I'd cut down before. My aim was off by about 18 inches and I hit a heavyweight
T-post. Brush cutter cut it off cleanly. And threw it. Had to use the fence post puller turned sideways to get it out of the trunk of a tree.
Luckily nobody around any of those times (I usually try not to have anybody around the brush cutter when it's running).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it is wildly overgrown with kudzu among others. Fallen trees. The trailhead is essentially gone. Not maintained since the early 2000's wheh the original owner passed and another Nieghbor purchased the property. He only maintains the side facing his original lot woth a pond. This wooded side has gone wild. I think ive been convinced just to use the loader as I have been, i will pull out all the vines into the center, chop them up and dispose of them off trail.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd want to walk it first. Walk the route, find + move everything that you wouldn't want to mow out of the way. Maybe adjust the route for stuff too big to move. then have at it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts