Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to melt my 1025's plastic engine hood with a strong solvent / cleaner.

What products do you use to clean the soot off of your tractors?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Dawn dish soap...............Plus it's safe for little ducks and birds.....

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Each day, I wash my stainless coffee mug and then rinse it out and put it away so its there for my use in the AM. I used a papetowel to wash the mug and it had Dawn dish soap on it. I took the paper towel out AFTER I washed the mug and wiped the back on my plow blade where the diesel smoke hits it and gets soot on the back of the plow. Didn't rinse it off, just wiped it with the wet paper towel with some Dawn on in and then wiped it off with a dry paper towel.

Look at the actual results.

If a little Dawn does this on a wet paper towel, actually squirting it on the diesel soot and washing with a mitt and water will definitely clean the surface with very little "scrubbing"......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
It was after this first season of diesel soot that I began running this in my Diesel Fuel and the soot issue dropped dramatically and it also cleans the fuel system. Please make sure to run the necessary products for winter weather issues. I happen to like and use the Howe's products. There are also several other very good brands.

I will say that running this "Meaner Power Kleaner" in the fuel has reduced the smoke by at least 80%, possibly more.

The only thing better than easily removing the diesel soot is preventing it from getting on the tractor first. Several have added elbows to their exhaust pipes to route the diesel away from their front implements, which obviously would help prevent the issue as well. However, I want the exhaust to hit the area where the front quick hitch is mounted as the heat prevents ice build up on the hitch and ice build up can damage the hydraulic fittings which angle the blade.

Howes Lubricator - Meaner Power Kleaner

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Goof off works too. I am going to try dawn the next time. Goof off works on almost everything. It is amazing what it does as I have used cases of it doing punchlist stuff in 1 million dollar houses and condos.

It has to be wiped of with a wet rag but almost everything does.

Good luck!

WB

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
I've done okay with just using 409.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Goof off works too. I am going to try dawn the next time. Goof off works on almost everything. It is amazing what it does as I have used cases of it doing punchlist stuff in 1 million dollar houses and condos.

It has to be wiped of with a wet rag but almost everything does.

Good luck!

WB
Totally agree. I always have some goof off available for stubborn spots. Used the can you had to soak a rag with for years but now I just use the aerosol spray. Cleaned some stubborn sap off my truck with minimal rag rubbing and didn't damage the clear coat. Also good for those dark vertical lines rainwater makes on my gutters.

Reactions: wentonbrown

·
Registered
751 Posts
After you get the soot off your tractor and implements, consider a very inexpensive addition to your tractor...

DSCF6070 - Copy.JPG

It's a shortened stub of chrome plated brass, kitchen sink p-trap pipe. 1.25" I believe, held on with a stainless hose clamp.... no more dirty snow blower, front blade, or loader frames for me!!!

Reactions: Auguste

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Dawn took off 95% of the soot :thumbup1gif:

A few spots remain . . . will try goof off

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
This stuff is just awesome for cleaning quite a few different things!:good2: A word of caution! It will remove paint too, if it is left on the surface too long.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts