Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my folks want to scrap their old fat screen tv. they are planning to put a pc on the table were the tv used to be. however, they also want to be able to use a dvd player with the monitor as well. so, step one was to order a vga splitter cable, and a rca to vga converter cable from amazon. so the stuff arrives and i go to hook it up. i plug the splitter into the monitor, hook the pc cable to one side, and the converter cable to the other side. well, i power it up and it doesn't work. i know the monitor works, but only with pc/VGA input. the monitor has 2 hdmi connections.

any thoughts about how to fix?:think:

·
Registered
404 Posts
:munch: Also watching

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
If the monitor has 2 HDMI inputs then unless the monitor is suddenly broken, it will work with them.

Does their DVD player have HDMI outputs? If it does, have you tried connecting the DVD player using the HDMI connections? And is the DVD player on? (Many monitors are auto-sensing and will automatically switch to the input with the powered on device.)

Do you have a make/model on this monitor? Perhaps a quick reading the of the manual will provide the answers?

Also, are you sure you have the right splitter? They aren't all designed to be fully bi-directional and most are meant to connect one PC to two monitors. If that's the case with your's, you can't just reverse it and use it to connect two devices to one monitor.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the monitor has 2 HDMI inputs then unless the monitor is suddenly broken, it will work with them.

Does their DVD player have HDMI outputs? If it does, have you tried connecting the DVD player using the HDMI connections? And is the DVD player on? (Many monitors are auto-sensing and will automatically switch to the input with the powered on device.)

Do you have a make/model on this monitor? Perhaps a quick reading the of the manual will provide the answers?

Also, are you sure you have the right splitter? They aren't all designed to be fully bi-directional and most are meant to connect one PC to two monitors. If that's the case with your's, you can't just reverse it and use it to connect two devices to one monitor.
the dvd player has rca outputs.

the monitor is an asus 24".

here is the splitter:http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-113051-Monitor-Splitter/dp/B005H3I38G
here is the converter:Amazon.com: Insten VGA to TV S-Video 3 RCA PC Computer AV Adapter Cable: Computers & Accessories

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts

All of what you are trying to do is backwards.

You say the DVD player has RCA outputs. So what you are trying to do is convert RCA To VGA.

The product description on your VGA-to-RCA adapter says "Note: This adapter will not convert S-Video or Composite Video signal to VGA signal."

The description on your splitter says:

"This Cable Matters VGA Splitter Cable is for splitting a VGA signal to 2 VGA monitors (VGA cables required and sold separately), and provides an inexpensive solution for displaying a mirror image on 2 monitors (that use standard 15 pin plugs) at the same time.

Specifications
- Input: VGA 15-pin Male
- Output: 2x VGA 15-pin Female
- Supported resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, and 1080p (Full HD)
- RoHS compliant

Important Notes
- This is a splitter adapter. It can only connect one source device (e.g. PC) to two display devices (e.g. monitor or projector).

What you need is one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-TV-VGA2-S-VIDEO-Converter-compatible/dp/B002R35IVY/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1453060595&sr=1-10&keywords=RCA+to+VGA

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
btw, I should also mention, all of this only takes care of video here. What are you doing to provide them with the audio?

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts
You can buy a new HDMI equipped DVD player for about $50 nowadays, I wouldn't wast money on an adapter. Heck you can splurge and get a Blu-ray for under $100.

HDMI handles both the audio and video signals.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. i did get it to work by using an older dvd player that i found. they had quit using it because they thought it wasn't working right. i just used an hdmi to go from monitor to dvd player. a vga cable provides PC input.

thanks for all the replies. i guess next time i need to read the descriptions more carefully. :think::cookoo:

·
Premium Member
11,031 Posts
You can buy a new HDMI equipped DVD player for about $50 nowadays, I wouldn't wast money on an adapter. Heck you can splurge and get a Blu-ray for under $100.

HDMI handles both the audio and video signals.
Kenny is right... it's just not worth it. A 10-second search on Amazon returned $38 DVD player and $50 Blu-ray player.

It's just not worth trying to save that old player.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts