Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2018 1025r
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to drag a downed dead tree back to where it came from (other side of the ditch) but wonder if this can be done safely… would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions about how to best do this job with my 1025r… TY.

Please see pics…

I have moved/drug a couple trees before but this project is some different than other trees I have moved:

Larger tree…
  • 60’ is still in tact
  • probably 20ish” diameter on average tree trunk for bottom 20’ of trunk (heavy)
Id like to move this as 1 piece if I can, but might be better to cut into sections… but I want to move in fewest possible pieces while still being safe… and I want to pull all pieces in the same direction so I can minimize the damage to our yard.

Tree is awkwardly positioned…
  • it’s over a ditch (probably 15-20’ is off the ground)
  • the end I want to pull is the large end (not ideal)
  • the large end is 2-3’ below my tractor wheels and 4-5’ behind my tractor wheels
I don’t have a good way to lift and drag that tree up and back to the top of the ditch bank as I think the large trunk might be too heavy for my front end loader… and… I expect some see-saw action as I drag that tree over the ditch. So I’m thinking I will see if the 3 point can help lift the butt of the tree and use that lift to help drag it up the bank… but I wonder how much the tree will dig into the bank as I drag it up the bank.

The tractor will be on a upslope as I pull the tree…
  • if I pull with the 3 point, then the front of the tractor might become light, even with the loader and bucket on the front
  • increases risk of front end coming off the ground

Would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions about how to do this safely. TY!

xx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Pallet forks or a grapple? What about a 4x4 truck?
Get something underneath the trunk to help it slide back up the hill while you tow it. Use a couple of pulley and get the mechanical advantage.
Cut it in to manageable pieces & take more trips.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pallet forks or a grapple? What about a 4x4 truck?
Get something underneath the trunk to help it slide back up the hill while you tow it. Use a couple of pulley and get the mechanical advantage.
Cut it in to manageable pieces & take more trips.
Unfortunately I don’t have forks, grapple or 4x4… or pulleys

Reactions: Guja0501

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I am sure the 1025R will NOT be able to lift that big of tree in one piece. What is the problem just cutting it into smaller pieces? When I am removing trees, I cut them into 5'-6' pieces and put them on my pallet forks and dump them into the edge of my property or the swamp which ever is closer. Before I had forks, I cut into pieces that would fit in the 53" bucket.

·
Registered
2014 John Deere 1025R
19 Posts
If it were me and I didn't want to cut it all up... I would probably cut it about in the middle of the ditch, let the fat end fall down parallel with the slope and use a chain on the back of the tractor to pull it up. Then chain across the ditch and pull that part. From what I can see in the picture it will probably be easy and quick work. It's probably pretty light, looks like it has been dead for a long while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is prolly not a heavy as it looks. Wrap a chain around the trunk and get it spun around towards that fence on the side. Then chain it up tight to the three point, lift any if you can, kick it into 4Lo give it a tug. Worst case it won't pull and you'll have to trim it down to something more manageable.

If you're concerned about the front end coming off the ground going up a grade, just load some ballast in your loader bucket.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sure the 1025R will NOT be able to lift that big of tree in one piece. What is the problem just cutting it into smaller pieces? When I am removing trees, I cut them into 5'-6' pieces and put them on my pallet forks and dump them into the edge of my property or the swamp which ever is closer. Before I had forks, I cut into pieces that would fit in the 53" bucket.
I Don’t mind cutting the tree into sections, but there is a 15ish’ piece that is over the ditch and off the ground and I’ve never attempted that kind of cut before and I’m not crazy about being under or almost-under the tree when I make that cut… and the ground under that part of the tree is in the ditch and pretty soft/muddy/slippery.

Reactions: Guja0501

·
Registered
2018 1025r
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it were me and I didn't want to cut it all up... I would probably cut it about in the middle of the ditch, let the fat end fall down parallel with the slope and use a chain on the back of the tractor to pull it up. Then chain across the ditch and pull that part. From what I can see in the picture it will probably be easy and quick work. It's probably pretty light, looks like it has been dead for a long while.
I like the idea and I generally don’t mind using a chainsaw but have never cut something that large that is off the ground that far… and there is water in the ditch and the ground there is pretty soft/muddy/slippery… make me a bit uneasy

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would cut where it is safe to do so and then try moving the rest where it is out of the way or in a safer position to finish cutting it up.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is prolly not a heavy as it looks. Wrap a chain around the trunk and get it spun around towards that fence on the side. Then chain it up tight to the three point, lift any if you can, kick it into 4Lo give it a tug. Worst case it won't pull and you'll have to trim it down to something more manageable.

If you're concerned about the front end coming off the ground going up a grade, just load some ballast in your loader bucket.
Think I understand… you are dying pull it up the bank at an angle, instead of straight up the ditch bank… right?

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I would cut where it is safe to do so and then try moving the rest where it is out of the way or in a safer position to finish cutting it up.
This.

·
Registered
2018 1025r
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can probably pull it down into the ditch to cut it up pretty easily.
I like the concept but that ditch has water and a lot of mud… I generally don’t mind water and mud, but I’m not crazy bout working a large and probably heavy log in water and mud, and also have bad footing. Your idea got me to thinking about maybe cutting the bottom 15-20‘ off the bottom of that tree, then drag it down into the ditch, use a couple chokers separated by maybe 10’, then connect the ends of those 2 chokers, then connect to the 3 point… maybe that would be an easier way to get the large trunk up that bank. However, I’m not sure I could get a choker around the log after I drag it into the ditch… but I could probably put those chokers on before I drag it into the ditch. Gotta think bout this some more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone near you have a winch on the front of a 4x4? Pull it up the slope then go to work with the tractor, chainsaw, etc.

I would not mess around with pulling anything that large uphill. Catch one edge and you can flip in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I don't think that you will be able to do it safely with the 1025R. You don't have enough tractor in the environment where the tree sits now, and you might end up doing a back flip. Is it worth your life on the line to avoid cutting the tree into multiple sections? Lifting the butt end with the three point and pulling uphill is a recipe for disaster.

It is a wonderful situation to justify the acquisition of a really good chain saw, or a decent winch to use with another tree trunk as an anchor to drag the fallen tree to a place where the little tractor can safely take over.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
That was my thought as well. Right now it is going to dig in but if the log is cut there's a pretty good chance it will come up the slope without digging in too much.

Then drag the remaining portion over to the woods side and repeat as needed.

Remember to hitch to the tractor to the drawbar, not the three point hitch. That connection must be below the rear axle or you risk flipping the tractor backwards.

Edit- with your concern about making the cut if you aren't comfortable doing it then get some help. It's a pretty simple cut but does involve undercutting- it you cut down from the top it will pinch your saw. That involves a bit of a strain on your arms/back plus you need to make sure nothing falls on you. If that's just not your thing, cut the tree on the yard side at the top of the slope where you have good footing and see if you can roll the tree slantways so it comes up the slope at an angle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Maybe I am just at the end of a long day of work. But if it takes 5 guys 16 posts to figure out how to cut up a tree, safely, that has already fallen on the ground..... we are screwed when China invades. If I didn't want to cut it up, I'd just give my hatchet to my four year old. He'd have it hauled out of there with his power wheels in a week or two.

·
Registered
2018 1025R, 120R loader, 60D MMM, grapple
269 Posts
Maybe I am just at the end of a long day of work. But if it takes 5 guys 16 posts to figure out how to cut up a tree, safely, that has already fallen on the ground..... we are screwed when China invades. If I didn't want to cut it up, I'd just give my hatchet to my four year old. He'd have it hauled out of there with his power wheels in a week or two.
The point of this forum is to discuss things related to tractors, including tips and advice. Isn't that exactly what's happening here?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.