Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited a GX335. Was going to change the oil today but when I look at the drain plug, there's no way to drain the oil without dropping it directly onto the frame. All the videos I see, the oil drain plug hangs over the side. I see I can buy a drain tube...do I have to take an initial hit and let the oil drain onto the frame while I'm installing the drain tube? Do I need to flip the tractor on its side?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,694 Posts
There are various solutions to the problem but in the meantime you could make a funnel-like gizmo from a piece of cardboard. Just fold it and tuck it under the engine so oil will flow past the frame and into your drain pan.

I use something called "Form-A-Funnel" for drain plugs like that. It is a bendable plastic sheet with lead inside.

Or... you could install an extension tube of sorts after the oil is out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
:gtfam:
See if you can direct the oil away from the tractor with a funnel maybe, or rags, or even a piece of cardboard! I do believe there is an extension kit to extend the drain away from the tractor. I do believe you will take an initial hit the first time.

·
Premium Member
10,694 Posts
I forgot to mention you can also make something out of tin foil. Just fold several layers together to give it some body and then form into whatever shape you need to direct the oil into your drain pan. A piece of thin aluminum will also work (like a piece of old aluminum siding).

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
On a Craftsman tractor I used to have, after I got the drain plug out I was able to use a piece of black pipe about 3" long with an elbow on the end and a plug in the end of that to make an extension past the frame. I think it may have been 3/8" pipe. You might try something like that.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
I've cut the bottom off a water bottle or pop bottle to make a funnel. On the X300 series, it worked well for the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
10,694 Posts
A 1-quart or 2-quart plastic milk, iced tea, or lemonade container can be cut out on the bottom to fit around the drain plug allowing the draining oil to flow out the container's top opening into a catch pan. Such a tool can be wiped off after each use and reused long term.

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
A 1-quart or 2-quart plastic milk, iced tea, or lemonade container can be cut out on the bottom to fit around the drain plug allowing the draining oil to flow out the container's top opening into a catch pan. Such a tool can be wiped off after each use and reused long term.
True recycling right thar

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I ended up with this solution which would have been better if I made a better lip at the back. Most of the oil drained to the right place...

I folded a large piece of aluminum foil and formed it around a cardboard strip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,694 Posts
I ended up with this solution which would have been better if I made a better lip at the back. Most of the oil drained to the right place...

I folded a large piece of aluminum foil and formed it around a cardboard strip.
Now THAT'S what I'm talk'n about!!!

:good2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Inherited a GX335. Was going to change the oil today but when I look at the drain plug, there's no way to drain the oil without dropping it directly onto the frame. All the videos I see, the oil drain plug hangs over the side. I see I can buy a drain tube...do I have to take an initial hit and let the oil drain onto the frame while I'm installing the drain tube? Do I need to flip the tractor on its side?
checkout this video How To Change the Oil On A John Deere Lawn Tractor - YouTube
or you can get yourself a help book... let me know if you need one and can't find it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts