Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have stopped cutting the grass weekly the moles are taking over my front yard. I'm looking for any tips to get rid of them. I do have 2 dogs so i would like to do something other than poison. Let me know what you use to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
That rodenator is AWESOME!!!! That looks like alot of FUN!!! :thumbup1gif::lol::yahoo:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Tomcat has a mole trap HERE I just started using it late this season. It is by far the easiest one to use.
I've also have had good luck with the Victor squeeze type traps, but I have had zero luck with the ones that shove spikes down. The victor squeeze type are a real pain to set.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Well here is another idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I lived up in IL, we had a lot of moles, and rolled ankles because of them. We started using traps like this. They're fairly easy to set, and work pretty well, as long as you don't mind killing them. You just set them over the mole tunnels, and wait. When the trap is sprung, just pull it up, and since you have dogs, dig the carcass out for disposal (otherwise your dogs will try to dispose of them for you). We didn't let the dogs off leash back then because they were runners, so we usually just left them there to decompose, caved in the tunnels by walking on them, and refilled the yard as needed. The traps did the trick, but it seemed like they had to be set a couple times a month.

Victor Mole Trap Plunger, Model# 0645 | Rodent Control| Northern Tool + Equipment

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've been battling the moles for 10 years on my fairway like lawn. I've had the best luck with a lawn roller and pitch fork. The traps never seemed to penetrate deep enough to kill in my soil. I've also used a poison called talprid. I've studied there ecology a bit and find some of my observations' contrary to published results. I've read that moles are territorial and solitary most of the time. But I've killed the mole using the tunnels and compressed them only to have another dig the tunnels the next day. So my method now is to roll and wait. Ive killed 5 this year with this method, I just wait for several mins with a pitch fork and when I see the grass moving go to town with the fork. I know this sounds odd but like I said 5 killed this year.

Matt

·
Premium Member
14,748 Posts
Hadn't seen those traps kinda nice.. took the Gator through FIL back yard. He had a 5gal bucket turned upside down ,with big stone lying on top.
He had a rat trap set inside of bucket to the side of a mole hole. Next day he had a dead mole... Cheap and simple...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tim, from what I have read, earthworms are a bigger food source than grubs. My yard has moles where I don't have grubs and grubs where I don't have moles.

Then again, the great thing about the internet is that after enough reading you can contradict everything you have ever read and been taught.

I also have a terrible infestation of vols. I killed 20 in one week using mousetraps baited with peanut butter along their runs and outside their tunnel entrances.

Depending on the size of yard or area needing eradication, I have had luck treating the yard with a homemade castor oil solution.

I have also tried Repellex, but thought it costly for the amount I need and reapplication rates.

Traps work ok. It seems time consuming until you become efficient at the dhole process of finding where to set and then setting.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I got one while mowing a month or so ago. Coming back next to previous pass with the ZTrak and saw it walking around. Stopped, pulled the .380 and made it vanish. Didn't even get off the mower, and already had head phones on. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got one while mowing a month or so ago. Coming back next to previous pass with the ZTrak and saw it walking around. Stopped, pulled the .380 and made it vanish. Didn't even get off the mower, and already had head phones on. :)

Jim
Got to love already being equipped with the proper safety equipment. :snipersmilie:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts