Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I've done it with coat hangers bent into an "L" shape. I have trouble believing the whole concept but I have done it and it works.:dunno:
Mine are L-shaped coat hanger wire as well. I added plastic tips on the sharp ends so the grandkids could play with them, but still probably the least I've spent ever for a very useful tool. It is such great fun to put them in the hands of a skeptic and watch the look on their face when the rods move to cross each other. I think I'm going to start taking videos of these moments.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
I have known this trick for 50 yrs. I learned it from my grandfather who worked for the water company back in the 40s- 50s and 60s. I have done it many times. Did it in front of friends that thought I was FOS. They tried it and it worked great. Made them a believer.
Like I stated, I was also a skeptic until I did it for myself, (I had to apologize to the water department guy too for saying he was FOS) .. Found more rocks loaded with iron (magnetism I'm sure) then water but it does work,, Never tried the old apple stick thing though, maybe I should.. I am one of those people who doubts a lot of things but This works and is true.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It’s been mentioned previously, but I will reinterate. BE CAREFUL to not crush the springhead by digging right on it and collapsing it. My excavation guy cautioned me about that when we discussed my wildlife watering hole that we built. He dug the hole on the downslope side, then carefully worked towards the spring to cut a trough to channel the water into it. It tapered up to only a few inches deep just short of the spring. It works like a charm so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

Well, we found it last winter without using dowsing, starting above it and looking for plants that hang around water sources (my wife's idea). We found some rocks that someone had put over the springs (2-5 different springs) and dug it up. We dammed it up and got a 20 oz bottle to fill in 10 seconds which turns out to be about 550 gallons/day. That was last December, maybe?

We checked it out again in the spring and it was putting out about 2500 gallons/day! Then we checked it earlier this summer and it was still around 600 gallons per day.

I just cut a path through the undergrowth today, to see the picture above. That's how it looked at the 550 gallons/day flow, but the dam we built has kinda disintegrated. So I am confident that is a year round thing!

Next step, dig it out a little more, dam it up better, let it settle, and gather some water to get tested. If it's good, time to build a spring collection system!

·
Registered
23,313 Posts
View attachment 748968

Well, we found it last winter without using dowsing, starting above it and looking for plants that hang around water sources (my wife's idea). We found some rocks that someone had put over the springs (2-5 different springs) and dug it up. We dammed it up and got a 20 oz bottle to fill in 10 seconds which turns out to be about 550 gallons/day. That was last December, maybe?

We checked it out again in the spring and it was putting out about 2500 gallons/day! Then we checked it earlier this summer and it was still around 600 gallons per day.

I just cut a path through the undergrowth today, to see the picture above. That's how it looked at the 550 gallons/day flow, but the dam we built has kinda disintegrated. So I am confident that is a year round thing!

Next step, dig it out a little more, dam it up better, let it settle, and gather some water to get tested. If it's good, time to build a spring collection system!
That’s awesome! Water is such a precious commodity - glad you are finding more sources.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts