Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
searching last night a bit all I seen was plug yourself or get a tube.
Can I get it patched from the inside?
What's the best way to fix a small leak?

How the hell did I get a leak already? Are the 1025 r4 cheap tires? It's in the thickest part of the tire also.
Didn't even think I did anything to get a leak. Oh well
https://youtu.be/3PiYEhjJ5LU

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
FWIW, I just tubed my GX's 24-12-12 turf tire. However, mine was a rim/bead leak with no other options. Once the tube is in the tire you always have the means of patching the tube instead of "plugging" the tire...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Seems like to me that you are going to have to break the tire down and then punch thru where the leak is, to see if the foreign object is still in the tread and get it out. Then, I would just patch it, as I don't think you can get a plug in thru the tread. If you don't have the experience on breaking it down yourself, take it to tire shop or JD dealer. You could tube it, but the next time you get a leak, you can't use a plug.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Seems like to me that you are going to have to break the tire down and then punch thru where the leak is, to see if the foreign object is still in the tread and get it out. Then, I would just patch it, as I don't think you can get a plug in thru the tread. If you don't have the experience on breaking it down yourself, take it to tire shop or JD dealer. You could tube it, but the next time you get a leak, you can't use a plug.

that is true--i would install a large blowout patch on the inside of the tire. :thumbup1gif:which means ur tire has to be broke down and removed to install the blowout patch. just my 2 cts-but that's what i prefer when dealing with such a new tire. u may go for yrs without getting something in it again.
probably got a nail in it-from when ur house was being built. and when u was dragging that stone around, u uncovered it-the nail.:munch:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
[/B]that is true--i would install a large blowout patch on the inside of the tire. :thumbup1gif:which means ur tire has to be broke down and removed to install the blowout patch. just my 2 cts-but that's what i prefer when dealing with such a new tire. u may go for yrs without getting something in it again.
probably got a nail in it-from when ur house was being built. and when u was dragging that stone around, u uncovered it-the nail.:munch:

Patching the tire from the inside is the best way. Plugs are more convenient because the tire doesn't have to come off the rim. Trying to shove a plug through that much rubber won't work well.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Is the leak on top of the lug or down in the groove, I couldn't really tell. It looks like its on the lug. If that is the case then patching from the inside or tubing it is probably the way to go. Otherwise just plug it and move on. You can get a plug kit for fairly cheap at an auto parts store.

R4's are not cheap tires but things happen.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It cracks me up when people get scientific about patching or plugging a tire. I stop at the tire shop and the guy fixes the tire for $5.

3025e
Lol. Funny thing is that's what I thought. But I did a search on here the other night while bored and one thread with a slow leak like mine went to the dealer and got a tube.
So it got me thinking that maybe it's different for a tractor :dunno:. So I just asked here to see what's up.
Normally I would have just took the tire off and went to my tire guy and got the inside patched. I guess the search function hurt me this time lol

Edit- oh. And it's a brand spanking new damn tire. Wanted to make sure I was doing it the best way for longevity

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the leak on top of the lug or down in the groove, I couldn't really tell. It looks like its on the lug. If that is the case then patching from the inside or tubing it is probably the way to go. Otherwise just plug it and move on. You can get a plug kit for fairly cheap at an auto parts store.

R4's are not cheap tires but things happen.
Right on top

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Green slime, maybe?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wouldn't try to plug it through the lug. More times than not you will miss the hole on the inside and still have a leak. Take it to a tire shop and have them patch it.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Hi All
I'm with you buckteeth445 take to the tire shop and the guy fixes the tire for about $5. Unfortunately I had to do it 3 times:banghead:
Regards John
this is why i said about having the tire broke down, to find out what went thru the tire in the first place---if it was still in it-maybe.

but with breaking it down, and patching from the inside-i think saves a lot of headaches down the road. just my 2cts.

if it was say an 10yr old tire-and it wasn't on the lug(hole) i'dl say plug it first to see if it holds-if not-tube it then.:munch:

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Hi BigJim55
Three different tyres 2 front 1 back, nail , screw and a piece of wire all removed before repair, over an 18 month period. No problems recently:good2:
Regards John
ok-that sounds a little better being u had 3 different tires at the tire shop. the way i read it-it sounded like u took the same tire--3 different times.:munch:

·
Registered
945 Posts
I was grading at my brother in laws and one of my rear tires went flat. He worked in a tire shop years ago. He had a kit that had an awl like tool and what looked like pieces of braided rope that were very sticky with an epoxy like substance thru out. He took the tire off and found the leak. He bent the,"rope" in a U, put it on the awl and shoved it in the hole. He trimmed it with a razor and filled the tire. It has held since.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Put a plug in. If it works, you are golden. What is the difference. Easiest first. Next time it may be a cut in side wall, then the tire is junk anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
If you have ever worked in a tire shop or had to clean up a rim which was used where these tire sealants and "Goo" are used, you would likely have a different opinion of it........While that stuff can seal leaks, I prefer to either

A. - tube the tire

B. - plug the leak(s) with a flexible plugger designed for tire use

C. - Both A & B before using the "Goo" sealants because they turn the wheel into a slimy mess to deal with. Some of the products even will harden and cause balance issues and other complications. I have also seen some of the sealants cause valve stem problems as well over time.

I have to admit, I used the tire sealants myself until I had to clean up the wheels once after having used the sealants to get a new tire to seal correctly on the rim.............Just something to think about. :dunno:

This is yet another one of those products where Some swear BY the product while others swear AT the product.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If you have ever worked in a tire shop or had to clean up a rim which was used where these tire sealants and "Goo" are used, you would likely have a different opinion of it........While that stuff can seal leaks, I prefer to either

A. - tube the tire

B. - plug the leak(s) with a flexible plugger designed for tire use

C. - Both A & B before using the "Goo" sealants because they turn the wheel into a slimy mess to deal with. Some of the products even will harden and cause balance issues and other complications. I have also seen some of the sealants cause valve stem problems as well over time.

I have to admit, I used the tire sealants myself until I had to clean up the wheels once after having used the sealants to get a new tire to seal correctly on the rim.............Just something to think about. :dunno:

This is yet another one of those products where Some swear BY the product while others swear AT the product.:laugh:
Speaking of hardening. I had a customer with a bad experience. Guy had a H-D touring bike. Got a flat on the rear tire. Filled it up with fix a flat and continued on the trip. Seeing it was late they drove right to the motel. The next morning they started off to the shop for a new tie. He said it was apparent right away that the bike had a bad vibration. He stopped and called a roll back. They ended up braking the lid on the top hard luggage box pushing it on the truck. Once at the dealership the tech found the rest of the mess. Bikes lean on the left side (kick stand) when parked. Apparently the sealer hardened the tire into an L shape at the bottom. That is what caused the vibration. The tire also rubbed the inside of the rear fender so bad it burnt the paint off the outside. He also had to pay the shop extra labor for the wheel clean up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts