Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came up with an idea yesterday when removing a huge stump with my little guy. They say necessity is the birth of invention or something like that.

In order to get to the roots of this bcotton wood stump, I dug down and around creating a bowl piling the dirt on 2 sides out of the way but not too far. Note-this stump is from a tree that had blown over in a windstorm this past winter so this is how it lay before removal. I had dug a lot of the dirt off the root ball and used a garden hose to help with the process. This not only helps expose the roots, it helps clean them if you need to use a chainsaw to cut into them

Now, this sucker was heavy! It took quite a while to get it dislodged and freed up. I had to utilize a higher up approach on the stump to get leverage because my little 1025R doesn’t have the hydraulic pressure to pry that big dude up

I did have to cut some roots that wouldn’t let go using a sawzall, chainsaw, and axe. And a lot of shoveling.

OnceI got it freed up and ready to move, I didn’t have the grunt to get it up and out of the hole it was in. Hard to tell from the pictures but it was sitting in a 4 foot hole and I had to figure out how to get it out. I contemplated hooking it up to my truck and dragging it out but where’s the fun in that?

I figured I’d get it out by using leverage. And leverage of any kind works so I used the dirt I dug out. I basically backfilled one side a foot or so higher, went on the other side and rolled the stump onto that dirt. Once it was stationary, I backfilled the other side a foot and rolled it back over. Rinse and repeat and it’s out and on level ground. Back and forth, back and forth. I did use a small 10” root I cut off as dunnage during the first few rolls so that part was sketchy but otherwise I knocked 2 birds with one stone by backfilling while removing the stump. Once I got it out, I shoved it out of the way and finished the backfill. This stump had a 30” tree start he’d to it and was really heavy but with persistence I got it out. Now to figure out what to do with it

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
truck home your excavator! You only have a dozen more to accomplish..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've chained them to my truck and pulled while pushing with the tractor. It worked out well if you have someone to drive the truck.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That's one big a## stump. I like your approach to it especially the the idea of using the garden hose. You the da man Kyle, nice job. 👍

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Very good! I had a spruce in about the same state, almost as big. The only thing I might suggest for the next time is forks. Moving pallets was only a third level reason for me to get them. Digging, prodding and prying out roots and rocks was number one and it works great. As you said, leverage is key. I still have a real big rock to get out. I think the winter cycle will bring me some luck. It looks like the sedimentary layers may be open to a split. Half the rock is still a bit big to work with. I'll find out when the ground water dries out enough.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
truck home your excavator! You only have a dozen more to accomplish..
That’s on the agenda this summer. Already called dibs on one lol. This was one I wanted to get out cuz of the eye sore. It bothered the heck outta me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fantastic! As I said in the other post, I was contemplating getting a stump bucket, but after seeing this, it looks like it can do what I need with just my HH tooth bar and loader. Thanks for saving me a bit of money! (y)

·
Old Pa-pa
13,579 Posts
I came up with an idea yesterday when removing a huge stump with my little guy. They say necessity is the birth of invention or something like that.
Impressive!! (y)

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heavy steel plates scrapped from work

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also have filled rear tires. It’s pretty stable

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I don't want to side track your thread, I was curious because I FILLED mine with concrete...7 bags at 80lbs plus box figure I am at 600 plus quick hitch distance/weight it lifts kinda slow:rolleyes: Rethinking my choices! BUT the traction is incredible!

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What’s to rethink? That’s good ballast

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
What’s to rethink? That’s good ballast
it struggles to lift it... It won't lift it all the way up. Only about 8 inches. Going up/down a knoll it sometimes drags a little, also wanted to weld a hitch receiver on the bottom for moving trailer around. too low for that plan I will use anyway though 'cause the stability and traction are great!

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you checked your hydraulic pressure? Could be too low. From the weight you describe it should pick it all the way up

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 26 Posts