Green Tractor Talk banner

How to get a small shed off a trailer

14K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Pigpen 
#1 ·
Ok I’m being given a 8x8 shed weight is 1500 lbs how do I get it off the trailer

#4 ·
If you can pull it off the back of the trailer and get some cribbing under it and the pull the trailer mostly out from under it and then put some more cribbing by the other end. Get the trailer out of the way then use some high lift jacks to lift it off the cribbing and slowly work it down by removing the cribbing a layer at a time from each end.

#6 ·
Photos of the trailer and shed would be very helpful for specific advice.

Glad to hear Mrs. PP has changed her mind about the tractor and you get to keep it.... (y)

#7 ·
Glad to hear Mrs. PP has changed her mind about the tractor and you get to keep it.... (y)
Mrs. PP?!?! 🤣

(Yes, I know it's short for PigPen... - but my inner 10 year old... can't help himself! )

#10 ·
Two quick questions. How did it get on the trailer? Can that process be reversed?

#18 ·
When I've needed sheds moved I've called a local tow company and they delivered them on their rollback wrecker. It didn't cost me much.

#19 ·
Can't tell you how many I moved with a rollback...

#20 ·
Does the trailer have sides or side-rails?

If not, I wonder if you can lay the shed on the trailer with 4x4's under it. When you get home, slide longer posts underneath (outside the wheels of the trailer) and build-up with jacks / cribbage so that you can drive the trailer out, then lower it down slowly

Hmmm... sounds dangerous ? I dunno. That's my my novice-self would try and probably break something / someone in the process :)

#24 ·
My neighbor was looking into buying a pretty good size shed some time back. We figured to load it onto my 31ft deckover tandem dually with my 12,000# winch and unload the same way.

Dave

Reactions: Pigpen
#29 ·
I would call and have crushed aggregate delivered to set the building upon. It gives a nice, level surface, it keeps animals from digging under the building and it keeps the building clean and neat. Make the pad at least 10' x 10' so you have the building sitting on the pad with it larger than the foot print of the shed . This keeps the water running off the roof from splashing on your building and getting it muddy. .

10' x 10' = 100 sq foot, assuming 1' thick, which equal
100 sq ft x 1' depth = 100 cubic feet / 27 = 3.7 cubic yards,
Have 4 cubic yards of Crushed Aggregate Delivered.
Use the extra to build a nice ramp to the shed door.
Last year I paid $38 per yard delivered or this should cost about $160​

#33 ·
I would call and have crushed aggregate delivered to set the building upon. It gives a nice, level surface, it keeps animals from digging under the building and it keeps the building clean and neat. Make the pad at least 10' x 10' so you have the building sitting on the pad with it larger than the foot print of the shed . This keeps the water running off the roof from splashing on your building and getting it muddy. .

10' x 10' = 100 sq foot, assuming 1' thick, which equal
100 sq ft x 1' depth = 100 cubic feet / 27 = 3.7 cubic yards,
Have 4 cubic yards of Crushed Aggregate Delivered.
Use the extra to build a nice ramp to the shed door.
Last year I paid $38 per yard delivered or this should cost about $160​
you have people in your area that sell/deliver rock by the cubic/yard ? :)

#30 ·
I agree Sully, but the OP would be far better off using a PT ramp. My neighbor used gravel for his ramp and he spends more time grading it back up to the shed than he does using it to get into the shed. Level and low is the best thing for sheds.

Reactions: driveshaft
#39 ·
I built a ramp for my shed out of crushed aggregate and once packed down, just from driving over it, its hard as concrete and doesn't move. Crushed aggregate is very different than gravel or stone. Not only does it compact very solid, it also hardens with moisture. It's also much more dense and doesn't shift around like gravel does.

The road I built with crushed aggregate is like a paved road now after 7 months instead of a gravel road. The "powder and dust" from the crushing process acts like a binding agent to the crushed aggregate and turns the road into a solid surface as it gets wet and dries.

It doesn't kick up the gravel like a gravel road does, it doesn't kick up the dirt and dust the way a gravel road does.

#35 ·
Set it on several 4x4s or larger. Park under a big tree and lift it off with a chain hoist attached to the 4x4s. You can also go between two big trees and run a chain between them for a hoist mount. Drag it to the desired location.

You can also do it with cribbing and several jacks but the tree is easier.

#38 ·
If you put the shed on with the door facing the rear of the trailer you could just leave it on the trailer and have a portable shed. You'd keep it off the ground and minimize rot plus you'd have a deck out front!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.