Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have a 445 that I am going to add a snow plow to. It does not currently have a lockout valve. Can someone help me with a how to? Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
The lockout valve replaces a 90 degree fitting on the scv under the foot pan. The fitting pretty much need to be removed and the new valve installed. I would suggest the quarter turn valve instead of the
Deere version since it will be easier in the long run to operate.

Adam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'm still unsure how to install the valve however. Do I need to depressurize the system prior to installing? It needs flushed anyway as I'm willing to bet that it is the original fluid in there. What is the difference between the Deere valve and this other one mentioned as being "easier to operate". It sounds to me like the only difference is a quarter turn vs. several turns to open/close the valve. Am I correct on this? Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
338 Posts
There should not be huge amounts of pressure since the pump is not running. The picture above is where the lockout valve for the older 300 series tractor mounts. For the 4X5 series tractor it is right under the foot pan on the left side, but the way it is angled, it is a pain to close with the Deere version. Thats why I suggested the quarter turn valve.

JD-425-hoses-lockout.jpg

This is where it mounts and should give you a better idea of what I am talking about where it goes.

am118213b.jpg

The 90 degree fitting in this picture is the one that is replaced with the lockout valve.

Good luck

Adam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adam, thanks for the info!!! Looking at the pictures this looks less of a nightmare than I imagined. How the does the hydraulic line to the 90 deg. elbow come off, thread or pull? If I am understanding this looking at the pictures, you disconnect the line to the elbow, unthread it from the scv and reverse the process with the new valve? How would air be purged from the system, particularly since I am flushing the transaxle fluid? Thanks again!!

Jeff

·
Registered
54 Posts
Adam, thanks for the info!!! Looking at the pictures this looks less of a nightmare than I imagined. How the does the hydraulic line to the 90 deg. elbow come off, thread or pull? If I am understanding this looking at the pictures, you disconnect the line to the elbow, unthread it from the scv and reverse the process with the new valve? How would air be purged from the system, particularly since I am flushing the transaxle fluid? Thanks again!!

Jeff
Adding the lockout valve is no biggie, maybe a 1/2 hour job. As the others have said, it replaces a 90 degree elbow on the back of your SCV valve. If you get the lockout valve from Deere, it comes with instructions. Before you start, operate each hydraulic lever a few times back and forth to let any residual pressure off first.

Have a pan handy to catch the fluid that comes out when installing the valve. It's not a huge mess, but it's good to have a pan to catch it.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
x475

There should not be huge amounts of pressure since the pump is not running. The picture above is where the lockout valve for the older 300 series tractor mounts. For the 4X5 series tractor it is right under the foot pan on the left side, but the way it is angled, it is a pain to close with the Deere version. Thats why I suggested the quarter turn valve.

View attachment 36202

This is where it mounts and should give you a better idea of what I am talking about where it goes.

View attachment 36203

The 90 degree fitting in this picture is the one that is replaced with the lockout valve.

Good luck

Adam
I bought a x475 this summer, their were no qcs in the valve, the top lever works, under steering wheel but not the the bottom one, I have not messed with it at all yet just mowed .So do I have to put QCS in there to make bottom one work, or u think its just froze up from not working yet. It's a 2004 with 400 hrs. looks brand new love it. Thanks for any information. Big Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Jim, most likely it is just set up a little bit from not being used. I picked up a X575 recently that was used with a snowblower and it was stuck. I sprayed it with some WD-40 and used a block of wood with a mallet, after two whacks it it was free. I am sure it will be a little sticky at first but keep spraying it with some lube and working it and it will be fine. The kit is still available from Deere for the quick connects. It is around $60 bucks or so from Deere.

Good luck

Adam

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
X475

Hi Jim, most likely it is just set up a little bit from not being used. I picked up a X575 recently that was used with a snowblower and it was stuck. I sprayed it with some WD-40 and used a block of wood with a mallet, after two whacks it it was free. I am sure it will be a little sticky at first but keep spraying it with some lube and working it and it will be fine. The kit is still available from Deere for the quick connects. It is around $60 bucks or so from Deere.

Good luck

Adam
Adam, thanks for reply, in the spring I will try that or maybe after I get my 2520 out of basement garage i'll bring it in and work on it.Do I have to install lockout before I can use those qcs ports? thanks Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
You do not have to install the lock out valve. It makes the cycling for the blade turn faster since it used the same hydraulic circuit as the mower deck lift. the lift cylinder will cycle first then the blade turns.

Good luck

Adam

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have one (or any valve YET!!!); but is their a kit or a method, that you can install a valve with an electric switch and solenoid for valve operation? This idea would be great for not getting on and off the tractor for valve operation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What does this lockout valve do,my dealer installed mine and I have not touched it yet.they said screw it in for snow blower,screw it out for mower deck.i assume it has something to do with fluid flow.im still learning things about this new machine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
As you have multiple attachments, it will eliminate one attachment (the mower deck lift) for the other only to work. For an example; You might have your mower deck installed with a 3 point hitch to operate a scraper blade. Your blade will go up and down with your mower deck. As well as FELs, snow plows and a blower.

·
Registered
53 Posts

View attachment 36203

Good luck

Adam
Does anyone know what the part number for the 'old' 90 degree fitting is?

Thanks

--------------------
EDIT: I think I found it: 38H1010

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Does anyone know what the part number for the 'old' 90 degree fitting is?

Thanks

--------------------
EDIT: I think I found it: 38H1010
Do you need one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hydraulic lockout valve ...

A question related to your post. Do you need to install the lockout valve for a JD 445 if there will only be the front snowblower (i.e., no rear attachment)? Thanks ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts