Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday we are supposed to be going to look at a Model 52 plow to hopefully bring home and put to work. No big deal, I've hauled smaller implements home several times. Here's where we hit a snag, the current owner has a tractor but it is not capable of lifting the plow onto the deck. My thoughts were to see if there was an ideal ditch or low spot, back the trailer up and back the plow onto the trailer. We don't have a large enough trailer to just take our tractor with us and load it. We could have three guys but I don't see that being able to manhandle the plow onto the deck either. Ideas? The trailer is just a flat 14' equipment trailer we built. No sides just 6 D rings. I have attached a picture of the plow and our trailer, pretend the wood isn't on it....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
How about one of those cable come alongs and winch it up there. That combined with the manpower and a low spot or ditch might do the trick.

Reactions: Town Manager

·
Registered
280 Posts
Any big trees by the pick up area? Bring a pulley, and winch it up.

·
Registered
574 Posts
why not some ramps and push it up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Without a way of picking it up, it will be a chore to get it on your trailer.
Ramps and a winch on the trailer, would be very useful. But, you have the plow blades extending back that will make it drag into the ground, when pulling.
If you could remove the blades and arms, that would make the loading a WHOLE LOT easier.

Reactions: TruckFarmer55

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have three choices for ramps but the trailer is higher off the ground than most carhaulers. I can jack the front up to lower the back.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Winch the plow on backwards. The plows will skid instead of digging in. You will still need ramps or long boards.

or

Winch it up in the air over a tree limb and back the trailer under the plow and let it down onto the trailer.

Does that trailer flop a good bit when towing empty due to not having any siderail stiffners?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well.

In situations like this...I take my Tripod....What is that?

3 pieces of 2"+ pipe..smashed on one end ( heat & beat) and a 1" hole torched through the smashed ends.
Long bolt run through the 3 holes. Pipes are roughly 16'.
Set up is fairly easy. Drag off trailer , Flip center pipe in opposite direction of the other 2.
Spread the 2 ...10' + apart. Attatch chain to Bolt area. Have a friend lift the Center/bolt area a bit4-6'.
'Walk the 3rd /middle leg in...Hang chainfall or comealong.... I've lifted full size semitruck engines with this set up.
Yep.. its a bit of a pita but easy to build ,simple to use ,quick to load & haul. Built mine in the 80's sometime.
Rarely use it now but its laying in the weeds ready to go for projects like yours.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here is what I use to Drag thing On to Trailers https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455486_200455486 But I have a 120V Outlet In My Truck. They also Make a Battery Powered one https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455487_200455487 It would Pull that old Plow On If You Can Get the Trailer Low enough or Get some ramps (y)
I like the idea of this product, but does the run for 1 minute/cool for 30minutes hinder what you can do with it? Would you be able to load a dead 1025R onto a trailer with this unit?

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
A winch/come along and put some 2x4 or 4x4 at an angle off the back of the trailer. Put plywood down on the 2x/4x and winch the plows up backwards onto the trailer.

Those axles look far apart to me for some reason, is it just me?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
It is time for you to get a real winch. Can be pretty handy for rescuing a broken down car. I bought a 12,000# Harbor Freight winch and and a 2 inch receiver hitch winch mount. It plugs into either my front or rear receiver hitch on my pickup. I elected not to mount permanently on the trailer as so many others do. You need a couple of snatch blocks to make it work right. I hang one from the gooseneck to allow the cable to move more freely without dragging. I can drag a car up on the 36 inch high bed of my gooseneck flatbed trailer real easy without unhooking the trailer from the pickup. I can even drag a shed onto the trailer, but it cannot be higher than 10ft due to my bed being 36" high.

Dave

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes the axles are long, but legal. I think the outside to outside of fender width is only 96". Mobile home tires are switched to lowboy tires so its all legal. They are far apart as well.
And this trail pulls excellent when empty once you get it off our sucky dirt roads. Stays right behind the truck and doesn't bounce. My bosses gooseneck jerks around more than this does.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I think the levers will rotate the axles down to lift the plow a bit more off the ground. If so, you can probably use a ditch to get the rear of the trailer low enough to get the rear plow over the back of the trailer. Then a come a long or winch and some ramps would let you pull it on the trailer backwards. It will definitely drag better backwards than frontward.

If you've got a high lift jack, I'd throw it in the truck as well. A couple of young, strong young men wouldn't hurt either, lol.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Big

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
I like the idea of this product, but does the run for 1 minute/cool for 30minutes hinder what you can do with it? Would you be able to load a dead 1025R onto a trailer with this unit?
I haven' run into any issues and I have Pulled stuff Longer then 2 minutes with it I use it to Load Garden tractors Into to My Pickup up these Ramps Home - MAD-RAMPS - Truck Bed Extender for ATV, UTV and Snowmobile when there Not running I haven't tried it On anything bigger then a Deere X500 series yet. .As Long as a 1 series is rolling I bet it would Pull it though it only rated for 1000lbs (y)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a receiver bolted to my trailer's front rail for an electric winch for situations like this.

Previously I used a come-a-long (they're under $50 and everyone should have one) or my much younger back.

A chain hoist and a tree works too.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have been meaning to build a front rail for the trailer but we haven't gotten to it. We also planned on adding a winch, exactly for this reason. But then again we also had plans to buy a 16 foot dump trailer this year, but that didn't pan out either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This Saturday we are supposed to be going to look at a Model 52 plow to hopefully bring home and put to work. No big deal, I've hauled smaller implements home several times. Here's where we hit a snag, the current owner has a tractor but it is not capable of lifting the plow onto the deck. My thoughts were to see if there was an ideal ditch or low spot, back the trailer up and back the plow onto the trailer. We don't have a large enough trailer to just take our tractor with us and load it. We could have three guys but I don't see that being able to manhandle the plow onto the deck either. Ideas? The trailer is just a flat 14' equipment trailer we built. No sides just 6 D rings. I have attached a picture of the plow and our trailer, pretend the wood isn't on it.... View attachment 753975 View attachment 753976
Another option which I've successfully done in a pinch is to crank the tow vehicle real hard one way to basically almost jack knife it then use a second vehicle, tractor, utv, whatever is heavy enough and pull the dead weight onto the trailer in a nearly straight line. Have a guy or two shoving it back towards the center as needed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
well.........the amish in my area would just hitch it up and pull it home ....it does have wheels you know :rolleyes: 😀😂

1 - 20 of 28 Posts