Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The control valve that uses a hand turn knob under the seat on my 650 is rusted and I cannot adjust the speed of the 3 point hitch. I have soaked it in PB blaster and used channel locks and finally got about 1 rotation of adjustment. I have tried cleaning the threads with a wire brush and putting grease on the threads and turning it back and forth to hopefully increase the travel but I have had no success. Any advise on a product that could help to loosen this? Or maybe I should go at this a different way?
Thanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The control valve that uses a hand turn knob under the seat on my 650 is rusted and I cannot adjust the speed of the 3 point hitch. I have soaked it in PB blaster and used channel locks and finally got about 1 rotation of adjustment. I have tried cleaning the threads with a wire brush and putting grease on the threads and turning it back and forth to hopefully increase the travel but I have had no success. Any advise on a product that could help to loosen this? Or maybe I should go at this a different way?
Thanks.
See items 11-15. The safest thing to do is remove the collar (15) and take the whole shaft assembly to a workbench & vise. That way you can use some heat to loosen things up. I would count on replacing the shaft and collar

Al

Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that. I have another entire valve assembly but getting this one off has proven to be a challenge. It is too tight for an open end 27mm wrench. If I could figure out how to remove #11 and the turn knob then I could possibly use a deep well 27mm socket to get it off. What is item #11?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think no. 11 is a split pin, should be able to tap it out with a punch and hammer.
Technically, a roll pin. A split pin is British English for a cotter pin. But you know what it is since you know how to take it out :good2:

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts
FWIW, I believe my 650 has exactly the same problem. I haven't been motivated to fix it since it is adjusted properly for my needs. But I do really need to service the brakes - I have had the parts for a year - since my "brakes" are really just a "brake" (singular) at this point. Maybe I'll do them and the valve this week. I'd be happy to be a guinea pig and photograph/describe what I do with the valve to fix it. I'm not afraid to break stuff. In fact, I am very good at it.

Al

·
Registered
715 Posts
I took a look and it turned out that mine wasn't seized as I thought.

I did attempt to at least loosen the collar, 27mm is too big a wrench for that. It's 25mm. A one inch (25.4mm) wrench works fine. I don't have 25mm or 26mm sockets or wrenches. 24mm and 27mm are the closest metric sizes I have.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts