Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my old LX288 when I was mowing and came across a stick I could just reach down (after killing the PTO if I was feeling safety conscience that day), pick it up, and deposit it on the sick pile on my next time by. With my new 1025R I now have to get off the tractor to get a hold of anything. I'm contemplating getting something like this or this to keep in my fender next to my lopping shears but I thought I would see what others around here do first.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Something like that will work fine. I use the exact same grabber with my X500. I have one of the 5-gal buckets mounted behind the seat and as I encounter sticks I grab them with the tool and place them in the bucket.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I drop the bucket and scoop 'em up!

Oh, wait.... Is this while you mow your lawn and not the field? Sorry, my bad! :flag_of_truce:

Mr. Moose

·
Super Moderator
4,895 Posts
This is the sort of thing they make these "kids" things to handle. :laugh:

Yeah, there really is no good way. A "grabber off the high shelfer" thingy would work.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Cheaper Option

With my old LX288 when I was mowing and came across a stick I could just reach down (after killing the PTO if I was feeling safety conscience that day), pick it up, and deposit it on the sick pile on my next time by. With my new 1025R I now have to get off the tractor to get a hold of anything. I'm contemplating getting something like this or this to keep in my fender next to my lopping shears but I thought I would see what others around here do first.
I just bought a reasonably good grabber at Harbor Freight for under 2 bucks on sale. With a cheap one, you won't feel so bad when it falls off your tractor and you run over it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,120 Posts
I am green, I apply the broken sticks back to the yard after the deck shortens them up!
I guess I'm green too. For the most part if it fits under the deck......I mow it. However, over the years I have learned this is not always a good idea.

·
Registered
21,531 Posts
Never any sticks in my lawn area (3 acres) and have many trees.

Since we heat with a wood stove having lots of kindling is important. My wife has a system of sorts. When I say that I am going to mow the following day, she walks the property with her 5 gal bucket and picks up all the sticks breaking them to size to fit in the bucket. So I never have one stick to deal with mowing and always have tons of free kindling - win win!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts

Since we heat with a wood stove having lots of kindling is important. My wife has a system of sorts. When I say that I am going to mow the following day, she walks the property with her 5 gal bucket and picks up all the sticks breaking them to size to fit in the bucket. So I never have one stick to deal with mowing and always have tons of free kindling - win win!
If I was in your situation and I told my wife I was mowing tomorrow, she would look at me and say, "guess I know what you're going to be doing today". As it is I just make big sticks into little ones as I mow. If it's to big, I move it. And if it's to big to move it, I mow around it and move it when I'm done with the FEL. Now that I've got Kenny's hooks, that is going to be a lot easier to do. :thumbup1gif: Damn, another reason for having them. The list gets longer...Thanks again Kenny!!:good2:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

"Sticks for kindling?" I guess I'm just addicted to 1" cubes of sawdust/wax fire starter blocks, one cube will start a fire just fine and one box lasts 1.5 years!:laugh:

All my sticks get "rotary processed" as long as I judge it's within reason (and too far from the burning barrel). Ground up sticks all break down into fertilizer thus saving me money to buy wax blocks.:laugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts