Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've talked about this before, but I wanted to bring this subject back up. I was hoping you guys have some really good solutions. I need something that works. I don't want to use those dumb electronic noise makers. They'll just push them to other areas of mine or my neighbors yard. I need them GONE. As if my yard wasn't badly rutted and uneven already. Is there a poison that works? What have you used that produces results? Thanks.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
662 Posts
I know we've talked about this before, but I wanted to bring this subject back up. I was hoping you guys have some really good solutions. I need something that works. I don't want to use those dumb electronic noise makers. They'll just push them to other areas of mine or my neighbors yard. I need them GONE. As if my yard wasn't badly rutted and uneven already. Is there a poison that works? What have you used that produces results? Thanks.
This works, not cheap, but it works. If you decide to spend the money, shop around, the prices vary A LOT.

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This works, not cheap, but it works. If you decide to spend the money, shop around, the prices vary A LOT.
Looks super cool and effective, but man that if far out of my budget. If local rental were a real option, I'd be posting videos.

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gophers aren't moles? I would think different animal, different solution? I saw nothing on their site talking about moles. Heck, it looks even more expensive than the Rodenator. :lol: Yup. Might have to try the beer, chair, and shovel method. This is where you tamp all the tunnels down, sit on the chair near your shovel, quietly drink a beer and watch for movement with your lawn. Once you find him, trap him with the shovel. The next part is up to you. Rinse and repeat.

My only problem with that it, I might not have enough beer to complete the task.:lol:

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Anyone ever try carbon monoxide? Farm once told me to hook a pipe to the tailpipe and a mole hole.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Gophers aren't moles? I would think different animal, different solution? I saw nothing on their site talking about moles. Heck, it looks even more expensive than the Rodenator. :lol: Yup. Might have to try the beer, chair, and shovel method. This is where you tamp all the tunnels down, sit on the chair near your shovel, quietly drink a beer and watch for movement with your lawn. Once you find him, trap him with the shovel. The next part is up to you. Rinse and repeat.

My only problem with that it, I might not have enough beer to complete the task.:lol:
That is the method I have been using, but have to admit, I kill more beer than moles! :mocking: They are really bad, this year. I mowed my lawn yesterday, and have numerous piles of dirt 18 inches high and 24-30 inches across, and evidence of the burrows under the surface, today. We may need to find something that works reasonably well, but is also in budget.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Here's what I'm going to try as soon as the ground thaws.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393184727.101699.jpg

It's supposed to work very well.

And, FYI, it's not really a 'trap'. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I don't have a mole problem but I did see this fella running back and forth when we last had a thaw. He was on the surface of the snow for four or five feet and I grabbed a trap from my shop and laid it cross-ways on his trail. Within an hour he ran over the trap and was caught right across the back. Maybe this sort of booby-trap would work with moles? Could you open a tunnel and lay a trap inside so the pan blocks the path?

I believe this is a vole, and he is the biggest one I've ever caught. The trap is just shy of 4 in.

Critter.jpg

Reactions: Jeff R.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I have used THIS for years, but I got one of THESE last year and it's really easy to use. There are utube videos on how to set it. I think trapping with squeeze type traps are the way to go. Poison is difficult with moles, since they feed on live grubs and earthworms. I like the squeeze traps better than the "mole-kabob" type.
One mole can do allot of damage, you may not have as bad as a problem as you think. I try to keep nature beat back on 10 or so acres, and if I catch 4 or 5 moles a year that really makes a difference.
Don't push their trails down...that forces them deeper, and makes them hard to catch. Then they throw hills up all over the place.

To find the good main runs, push down a 6 inch section, and if its back up by the next day, that's a good place for the trap.

·
8,558 Posts
I know that I have a problem, since someone saw a photo of my rain gauge, and due to the mole mound that had formed overnight at the bottom of it, they accused me of having a "plunger" in the yard! :nunu:

·
Registered
937 Posts

Diesel, it sounds like you might need some help. I am very proficient at drinking beers and pointing at things at the same time. I'm guessing that I could be your look-out. I wouldn't want you to miss any movement. I wouldn't even charge you as long as you paid for all the supplies (beer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Is there a solution for chipmunks? I can start a new thread if this is derailing this one. They are everywhere and dig down by the foundation of the house. Fun target practice, but I can shoot them all...
Get a kid to help shot them, a cat or 2 may help. :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It worked!!!!

The chair, beer, shovel technique worked! I got one! Take that you sonofgun! :yahoo:

IMG_3584.jpg

I tamped down all of the tunnels and revisited every few hours. I came back one time and saw some ground moving. BLAM! shovel into the ground and presto. One down and who knows how many more.:laugh:

·
8,558 Posts
The chair, beer, shovel technique worked! I got one! Take that you sonofgun! :yahoo:

View attachment 25535

I tamped down all of the tunnels and revisited every few hours. I came back one time and saw some ground moving. BLAM! shovel into the ground and presto. One down and who knows how many more.:laugh:
Whoop!!! Good job! How many beers did it take you to get that one? :mocking: I may have to hire you to come kill them around here! :drinks:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

Can you chase chipmunks and are you for hire?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts