Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won an auction, John Deere 4310 with loader. However, the engine does not run (it might run but it has been sit for awhile). What is the best way to pull the tractor to a trailer?

Since the tractor has to be pulled to a trailer, how I lift up the loader from the ground level for me to pull the tractor from the back to the trailer? Loading and unloading the tractor is my concern. If it did not have the loader, it would be a lot easier.

Greatly appreciate any suggests to recover this tractor.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Grounded loader

I just won an auction, John Deere 4310 with loader. However, the engine does not run (it might run but it has been sit for awhile). What is the best way to pull the tractor to a trailer?

Since the tractor has to be pulled to a trailer, how I lift up the loader from the ground level for me to pull the tractor from the back to the trailer? Loading and unloading the tractor is my concern. If it did not have the loader, it would be a lot easier.

Greatly appreciate any suggests to recover this tractor.
You can jack the loader but will need to put it in float position or you will just pick up the tractor. I would probably jack to the bottom of the loader bucket just enough so I could move the tractor. If you are lucky, the hydraulics will hold it up when you move out of the float position. If you are not lucky you will need to make a safety prop. A piece of channel stock cut to the right length to fit around the lift arm ram and hold the ram(s) in extended position is a pretty standard safety prop.

The issue with jacking is getting the bucket up enough to get a jack under it. If necessary you could use a pry bar to get it up enough to shove a board under it. Repeat and rinse until you get it up a few inches or enough for your lowest jack. Do NOT get your hand or any other body part under the bucket or loader frame. DO set the brakes on the tractor and block the wheels while jacking. If you have another tractor on site, use that FEL to lift the dead loader bucket- that's a lot easier.

If you winch the tractor onto the trailer backwards, leave the loader in float until the front tractor wheels start up the ramps. Then release from float. The loader should stay up. Put blocking under the bucket before lowering it and securing the bucket to the trailer. You will need to jack it back up before unloading.

Fun project and hopefully it won't be a big deal to get the tractor running again.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Treefarmer nailed it and saved me a ton of typing.

Do as described above. The loader will lift and with luck may stay up..or load it backwards.

·
Premium Member
7,932 Posts
My concern would be if it has the ehydro trans. Can it be dragged onto a tralier and not damage the trans? :dunno:

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
My concern would be if it has the ehydro trans. Can it be dragged onto a tralier and not damage the trans? :dunno:
With the range selector in neutral it should free wheel.

Reactions: Kennyd and JD4044M

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If there’s another tractor around you could hook the loader to that to lift as well.

·
Administrator
18,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Or a forklift.
I meant hook the loader hyd hoses to the other tractor, lift the loader, then disconnect and put on the trailer. Once the loader is up, if the hoses are disconnected and there are no leaks, it can't go down again.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
If you can't get a jack under loader, and have no other tractor to lift it up with... put the loader in float, and jack the back end up as you can. That will pivot the nose down with the loader arms pivoting up. Then take it out of float and let the jack down. The loader will come up off the ground. As with the other suggestions, this of course assumes the hydraulics are not FUBAR to begin with.

Always chock the wheels when you're doing any of this. The loader on the ground may be the only thing holding it in place, so it will be happy to roll away once you starting jacking things up.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I meant hook the loader hyd hoses to the other tractor, lift the loader, then disconnect and put on the trailer. Once the loader is up, if the hoses are disconnected and there are no leaks, it can't go down again.
You couldn't relieve the pressure to disconnect the hoses without lowering the bucket.

·
Premium Member
7,932 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all responds.

I have another question regarding the loader hydraulic system. If I disconnect the high pressure hose from the loader, will it reduce the pressure? Instead of lifting loader + pressure from the hydraulic pump, now I lift of the weight of the loader itself. I don't know how it works but I just throw the question here. I will bring tools with me. However, in case of unforeseen issues, I might not have tools to cover everything. The bottom line is I want to go there and bring the tractor back one way or another.

If I have hand-pump hydraulic system, can I hook it up to the loader? I just want to lift it a little bit of the ground so it does not drag while I winch it to a trailer. Assume that I have the same hydraulic connectors.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also think about manual hydraulic pump. If I have the same connectors, I think I can pump it for the loader to lift a little off the ground so I can pull it without loader dragging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can't get a jack under loader, and have no other tractor to lift it up with... put the loader in float, and jack the back end up as you can. That will pivot the nose down with the loader arms pivoting up. Then take it out of float and let the jack down. The loader will come up off the ground. As with the other suggestions, this of course assumes the hydraulics are not FUBAR to begin with.

Always chock the wheels when you're doing any of this. The loader on the ground may be the only thing holding it in place, so it will be happy to roll away once you starting jacking things up.
Will the float function work when the engine is not running? I have never tried it. It is a good idea that I have to try as the last resource.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Float works if engine is running or not.

Skip the hand pump.......or not.....if your somehow tooled up for that.

I'd get it (fel) off the ground just far enough to toss a couple longish 4x4's or whatever for it to skid on.

A high lift jack may be handy....If the loader is in float you should be able to lift it easily.

Then...take it out of float and the DREAM would be that it holds itself up till your loaded on trailer.

Either way......run your winch cable/chain Under loader/bucket then to front frame.
It will help lift the bucket as you pull it on to the trailer..

Good luck..it should be an easy deal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Take a couple of adjustable wrenches to loosen the line fittings. Cut a couple of pieces of angle iron 6-7 inches long. Jack the bucket up and place the angle between the cylinder body and rod end. You might want to duct tape it to secure it. Bed Frame angle should work okay. Use a ratchet strap to hold the bucket tilt back.

Attachments

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take a couple of adjustable wrenches to loosen the line fittings. Cut a couple of pieces of angle iron 6-7 inches long. Jack the bucket up and place the angle between the cylinder body and rod end. You might want to duct tape it to secure it. Bed Frame angle should work okay. Use a ratchet strap to hold the bucket tilt back.

Great idea. I will do that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Let us know how the recovery goes and get some pics. Good luck with the new to you tractor.

Bought my 4310 at auction in December. I got lucky and it had no serious mechanical problems. Mine came without a loader so I had to source one and spiff up the appearance some but it's working out to be a reasonable deal for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts