Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my tractor was not wanting to start after sitting overnight. It tried but not enough juice to get it going. So i am trying to remove the battery but man its tight in there with the oil cooler and headlights and my big hand i just cant get it up and out. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Someone showed the how to a while back...it may have been a 2 series.

There were bolts down on the bottom outside battery area iirc.

You removed those and the whole grill poped out or whatever.

Otherwise the Headlight is in the way Right?

May have been 2 sets of bolts .....It was a slick trick is all I recall.

I don't have your tractor......I just recall reading about this trick for a 1 or 2 series iirc

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I think it is more than two screws to remove the grille assembly, but still simple enough. Don't remove the headlights---it is a Pandora's box once you start. There are springs behind them and some clips that like to strip/break. Don't ask me how I know.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is more than two screws to remove the grille assembly, but still simple enough. Don't remove the headlights---it is a Pandora's box once you start. There are springs behind them and some clips that like to strip/break. Don't ask me how I know.....

Nevet taken the grill out - any advice/instruction are much appreciated. I also have the brush guard on it too which i am guessing will add even more work

Seems silly to not just be able to yank the battery out for a quick replacement.....sigh

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok -figured it out

here is the deal. Remove the drivers side headlight. Its bolts are slightly easier to get to. Then carefully lift it and try not to dice your hand on the oul cooler. Ask me how i know

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
About all I remember is you needed a long long extension to reach to the bottom for those 2 or 4 bolts.
Must be a couple others up higher...... It was a slick trick That I'd never seen posted before.

A friend has a 1025 and I recall He pulled the headlight...Was not happy with the engineering in all that and the chinese bungee that holds it in ( I think)..I forget but theres a bungee somewhere from the factory it seems like.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
This is another example of how modern tractor designers sometimes don't have a clue. The battery on a tractor needs to be in the clear and easily accessible. It might be fine to bury it behind a trunk panel in a Lambo but on tractors we need easy access. Same with tire clearance... you shouldn't need to purchase expensive spacers just to use tire chains.

Makes you wonder if the designers really understand how tractor are used. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I removed one of the headlights on mine when I had to replace it. Built an actual hold down with j bolts and a piece of 3/4" tubing.

This is another example of how modern tractor designers sometimes don't have a clue. The battery on a tractor needs to be in the clear and easily accessible. It might be fine to bury it behind a trunk panel in a Lambo but on tractors we need easy access. Same with tire clearance... you shouldn't need to purchase expensive spacers just to use tire chains.

For whatever reason, this reminded me of a good friend who's family farms several thousand acres. He says anything less that 100hp is a lawn mower, not a tractor. LOL!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts

Trying to jam allot of stuff in a small space.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I took one headlight out and reinstalled it without a hitch. Oh and yeah that oil cooler did a nice job of slicing and dicing my hand. If there ever is another time I am gonna hang something over that cooler.

My problem was being able to keep a grip on the battery. Never will try it again without some sort of battery strap/lift.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You need a female torex e5 which equals a male t25. Unscrew the brass colored bolts which hold the headlights in with the e5 torex. I needed to remove both headlights to easily remove the battery. The manual is not very clear what bolts need to be removed. I started by accident removing the headlight aim adjustment bolts. That won’t get you anywhere except some badly aligned headlights.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I took one headlight out and reinstalled it without a hitch. Oh and yeah that oil cooler did a nice job of slicing and dicing my hand. If there ever is another time I am gonna hang something over that cooler.

My problem was being able to keep a grip on the battery. Never will try it again without some sort of battery strap/lift.

This would be a big help. I've had this battery lifting strap for 30+ years. Drop one end over each post and lift...

DSCF9006.JPG

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need a female torex e5 which equals a male t25. Unscrew the brass colored bolts which hold the headlights in with the e5 torex. I needed to remove both headlights to easily remove the battery. The manual is not very clear what bolts need to be removed. I started by accident removing the headlight aim adjustment bolts. That won’t get you anywhere except some badly aligned headlights.
That probably would have been easier than what i did which was remove the nuts over the bolts which took a while!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I have a 2016 1025R and changed mine a month or so ago. Removed the right headlight, removed the battery cables and a bungee cord. Then I lifted it out. Installation reverse of removal. I found it quite simple.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It really is a simple process only takes about 10 minutes. Easier then removing a battery from a car or truck.

I would not say its that fast. A car you just pull the terminals and off you go. Here you have to pull the headlight which does take some time to get thise nuts off the long bolts which you can only use a wrench on since the bolt is so long. Its not hard but does take time

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I would not say its that fast. A car you just pull the terminals and off you go. Here you have to pull the headlight which does take some time to get thise nuts off the long bolts which you can only use a wrench on since the bolt is so long. Its not hard but does take time

It took me about 10 minutes as well, however I must confess to using a deep well socket instead of a wrench.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts